Law School Discussion

Howard's homecoming

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »
Donald Trump flaunts his wealth, most celebrities falunt their wealth. Each to his own.

That's usually how I feel Regal, but after seeing that page, I was like daymn.....lol

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2005, 07:45:29 AM »
now i know u don't think it's limited to black folks that go to HBCUs...

i think u'll find more bougie..or wanna be bougie black folk than laid back individuals...

it just seems like within our culture..u'll find more people looking down on others than trying to help others get where they desire to be

--

but personally i don't see the need to necessarily flaunt financial wealth...at some point it isn't an example showing youth that they too can succeed.. it becomes..

look at what i got ::)

I just got this site from the Law Firm-NBC thread ( http://www.williegary.com/ ), if this aint a bourgie HBCU grad I don't know who is. Why must black folks flaunt their wealth? You donít se Bill Gates advertising his possessions. Whatís the basis! You can ball till you fall with discretion. If you want to advertise do like the white folk and advertise how much you give and not how much you have.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2005, 07:55:13 AM »
I don't know what being bougie has to do with HBCUs young. I met a gang of people at Emory he felt like their sh*t didn't stink. Most people at HBCUs are on some kicked back *&^%. Even at morehouse...a lot of students were broke as hell.      

i think u'll find more bougie..or wanna be bougie black folk than laid back individuals...

it just seems like within our culture..u'll find more people looking down on others than trying to help others get where they desire to be

--

but personally i don't see the need to necessarily flaunt financial wealth...at some point it isn't an example showing youth that they too can succeed.. it becomes..

I just got this site from the Law Firm-NBC thread ( http://www.williegary.com/ ), if this aint a bourgie HBCU grad I don't know who is. Why must black folks flaunt their wealth? You donít se Bill Gates advertising his possessions. Whatís the basis! You can ball till you fall with discretion. If you want to advertise do like the white folk and advertise how much you give and not how much you have.

faith2005

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2005, 07:58:51 AM »
LMAO, this is such a white thing to say!!!!! My girl said her white co-workers said this to her as well. I didn't read the rest of the thread, so ruskie, if you want to get mad, I understand. I know I'm being insensitive or whatever, but LOL!  :D

This is really interesting to me.  Why do people go to a homecoming at a school they never attended?  I mean, I am sure it's a fun event and all, but I have never reeally thought about going to homecoming stuff at another school. 

faith2005

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2005, 08:17:39 AM »
ok, i read the whole thing. howard's homecoming is fun. it was crazy for my friend's and i mostly b/c we went to pwi's and we were like BLACK PEOPLE!!!! so, i might go this year, depending on the workload at school. alot fo my friends are in the area so, it will be fun.

i didn't go clubbing this past year, but i went to the step show. i always feel bad for the iotas at events like that. they get no respect. oh, and i agree that black people at the larger more "prestigious" hbcu's are bougie, but i guess that's no different than the people at the more "prestigious" pwi's being pretige whores, although you won't necessarily see them wearing 3-piece suits or all designer clothes. my friends and i think that schools like hampton, howard etc. are schools where people have generations and legacies and come from the middle class already. but some of my friends and i at pwi's didn't have college educated parents, so although we admire the hbcu's it wasn't a possibility for us to go there (due to the money situation etc.) imo this almost totally relates to african americans though (descendants of u.s. slaves).

elegantpearl01

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2005, 08:22:29 AM »
I think at every HBCU you have a group of very bourgie folks who are often the campus leaders and the greeks. I can't talk, because I was accused of being bourgie. Nothing wrong with being bourgie, just as long as you don't look down on other folks. Folks who go to HBCUs like to dress their behinds off going to class, if they can afford it, they have a nice car, get their hair done every week.  I know I stayed "suited and booted" in college. An HBCU football game (especially homecoming) is a fashion show.

I enjoy other black college's football games and homecomings because there is a feeling of kinship and they are just plain fun. After I pledged, there was a whole different dynamic of visting other schools and kicking it with their greeks. 

faith2005

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2005, 08:28:44 AM »
suited and booted LOL!!!!!! you know i read an article in honey magazine a couple of years ago about a female pimp down south. she said something like, "the girls want to get with me 'cause i come in the club suited and booted looking better than the men." i don't think i've ever read the phrase since then.

i have friends at hbcu's, and i don't think they necessarily look down on people, but i will say that some of them are like, you can make more money! why work in non-profits etc.? but i can't be mad at that. i've heard it from other people too. maybe thats why i related to the comment about building leaders that are a catalyst for change. its like, how can we change things if we're constantly doing our community work as our part-time job? but i am seriously just as conflicted about it as they are, b/c things have chaged so much that the community doesn't provide for people doing that type of work the way that we used to...

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2005, 08:31:33 AM »
I remember homecoming 99 people were walking out on the Iotas when they stepped...it was very sad.. first time i had actually seen an Iota step team..

i feel bad for the SGRHos at Howard though...the seating at the stepshows are set up where AKAs/APAs DST/OPPs and so on sit next to each other...

wellll someone made the mistake of putting the Kappas with the Rhos.. i saw a couple of Kappas move the SGRHo sign by the IOTAS :-\

ok, i read the whole thing. howard's homecoming is fun. it was crazy for my friend's and i mostly b/c we went to pwi's and we were like BLACK PEOPLE!!!! so, i might go this year, depending on the workload at school. alot fo my friends are in the area so, it will be fun.

i didn't go clubbing this past year, but i went to the step show. i always feel bad for the iotas at events like that. they get no respect. oh, and i agree that black people at the larger more "prestigious" hbcu's are bougie, but i guess that's no different than the people at the more "prestigious" pwi's being pretige whores, although you won't necessarily see them wearing 3-piece suits or all designer clothes. my friends and i think that schools like hampton, howard etc. are schools where people have generations and legacies and come from the middle class already. but some of my friends and i at pwi's didn't have college educated parents, so although we admire the hbcu's it wasn't a possibility for us to go there (due to the money situation etc.) imo this almost totally relates to african americans though (descendants of u.s. slaves).

YoungIke

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2005, 08:32:39 AM »
I totally agree that blacks at PWI's a worse but some HBCU's do have a superiority complex. I will also give it to you that i've never met an individual from any school who is bougie its more an administration thing. My uncle is one of the top medical professors at Howard and I had a bad experiance with some Howard administration untill they figured out who I was they tried to act like everything was all good.

P.S. tell your morehouse men they can't have two sister schools! We got first dibs on the Bennett girls so stop putting that morehouse distinguished getleman stuff in their head.

I don't know what being bougie has to do with HBCUs young. I met a gang of people at Emory he felt like their sh*t didn't stink. Most people at HBCUs are on some kicked back sh*t. Even at morehouse...a lot of students were broke as hell.      

--

faith2005

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2005, 08:37:56 AM »
you know the iotas stepped with something that looked like swords? i was like wow...

oh, and hbcu/youngike--i definitely don't agree that black people at pwi's are worse. we all have our issues and i think its pretty even across the board. the difference to me is the concept of "suited and booted." the bougiest black person at a pwi will still deceive you in jeans and sweatshirt or whatever. one of the bougiest girls i knew in college wore sweats and flip-flops almost every day...