Law School Discussion

Howard's homecoming

YoungIke

Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2005, 09:39:24 AM »
Our greeklife sucked untill my senior year so we had to A&T to see a good step show. I couldnt get with the greek thing myself, plus I would be a legacy and my pops is to popular in his fraternity so It would have been hard on discretion so I choose to roll solo.
But greeklife is back now we had 6 iotas cross  :o everybody was at their probate just cause we never saw them before.
I remember homecoming 99 people were walking out on the Iotas when they stepped...it was very sad.. first time i had actually seen an Iota step team..

i feel bad for the SGRHos at Howard though...the seating at the stepshows are set up where AKAs/APAs DST/OPPs and so on sit next to each other...

wellll someone made the mistake of putting the Kappas with the Rhos.. i saw a couple of Kappas move the SGRHo sign by the IOTAS :-\

ok, i read the whole thing. howard's homecoming is fun. it was crazy for my friend's and i mostly b/c we went to pwi's and we were like BLACK PEOPLE!!!! so, i might go this year, depending on the workload at school. alot fo my friends are in the area so, it will be fun.

i didn't go clubbing this past year, but i went to the step show. i always feel bad for the iotas at events like that. they get no respect. oh, and i agree that black people at the larger more "prestigious" hbcu's are bougie, but i guess that's no different than the people at the more "prestigious" pwi's being pretige whores, although you won't necessarily see them wearing 3-piece suits or all designer clothes. my friends and i think that schools like hampton, howard etc. are schools where people have generations and legacies and come from the middle class already. but some of my friends and i at pwi's didn't have college educated parents, so although we admire the hbcu's it wasn't a possibility for us to go there (due to the money situation etc.) imo this almost totally relates to african americans though (descendants of u.s. slaves).

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2005, 09:50:07 AM »
yeah swords..that's a bit much to me.. if someone ever accidentally stabbed me in practice..they'd walk out with a broken arm :D

i think at pwi's it's easier to point out the bougie clique.. at hbcus it could be a wolf in sheep's clothing :D

you know the iotas stepped with something that looked like swords? i was like wow...

oh, and hbcu/youngike--i definitely don't agree that black people at pwi's are worse. we all have our issues and i think its pretty even across the board. the difference to me is the concept of "suited and booted." the bougiest black person at a pwi will still deceive you in jeans and sweatshirt or whatever. one of the bougiest girls i knew in college wore sweats and flip-flops almost every day...

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2005, 09:55:11 AM »
a lot of people have low self esteem issues though. They will be like "you guys are the bougie people! you think you are better!" and the "bougie people" will be like ???

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2005, 10:01:21 AM »
excuses are.....

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2005, 10:06:54 AM »
you know the iotas stepped with something that looked like swords? i was like wow...

oh, and hbcu/youngike--i definitely don't agree that black people at pwi's are worse. we all have our issues and i think its pretty even across the board. the difference to me is the concept of "suited and booted." the bougiest black person at a pwi will still deceive you in jeans and sweatshirt or whatever. one of the bougiest girls i knew in college wore sweats and flip-flops almost every day...

I remember this Harvard Law addcom came to Morehouse to interview students. She just talked about Harvard Law and yadayada. She was like "everyone looks so nice. All of you guys have on suits and slacks or nice dress. I just left Georgia Tech and all the kids were in flip-flops and t-shirts". It's true that students at HBCUs dress better. It's just tradition I think. We have actually talked about it on this thread before. I think that students at HBCUs have a different kinda love and pride in their school compared to black students at PWIs. You just have to go to an HBCU to understand that feeling. I'll definitely dress nice when I'm at SU Law. I don't see myself wearing flip flops and t-shirts everday. That doesn't make me bougie however. I just represent myself and my institution well.  

elegantpearl01

« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2005, 10:36:44 AM »
Suited and Booted is an old school southern saying, that's like saying someone is "clean" or "sharp."  Yes Bourgie folks at a PWI may wear flip flops and shorts every day, that's just not our culture at a HBCU. I only wore jeans with boots or loafers with heels. I knew from day 1 I wanted to pledge and a certain image had to be projected in order to do so. Ditto for being in student government.  People just didn't roll to class looking crazy unless they were weedheads or slackers. Students in the school of business were required to wear suits at least once a week.

Reign you brought back memories with the seating..at convocation and stepshows the seating was AKA/APHI; DST/OPP; Zeta/Sigma; Iotas on their own; and Kappas/Rhos...the Kappas would never fail to get and move their banner to sit either on the other side of the AKAs or DSTs.

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2005, 10:41:24 AM »
i really wasn't into t-shirts and flip flops either in undergrad though.. but i was definitely one of the few..

i guess at pwis it's mostly the international students that were always stylish...

i just didn't want to look like everyone else..

---

yeah pearl .. u know how the Nupes are..always wanting to be near the Deltas and the AKAs

Suited and Booted is an old school southern saying, that's like saying someone is "clean" or "sharp."  Yes Bourgie folks at a PWI may wear flip flops and shorts every day, that's just not our culture at a HBCU. I only wore jeans with boots or loafers with heels. I knew from day 1 I wanted to pledge and a certain image had to be projected in order to do so. Ditto for being in student government.  People just didn't roll to class looking crazy unless they were weedheads or slackers. Students in the school of business were required to wear suits at least once a week.

Reign you brought back memories with the seating..at convocation and stepshows the seating was AKA/APHI; DST/OPP; Zeta/Sigma; Iotas on their own; and Kappas/Rhos...the Kappas would never fail to get and move their banner to sit either on the other side of the AKAs or DSTs.

faith2005

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2005, 11:11:43 AM »
i know what suited and booted means! i just thought it was funny, esp. written out... :D

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2005, 11:54:49 AM »
Interesting, I really didn't know it was like that at HBCU's. I went to a PWI, and it was straight chilling most days, except for suits for presentations and such.  I'm glad though, cause the money I would have probably used keeping up an on point wardrobe, I used to trade stocks.. 

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2005, 12:04:09 PM »
It's the same way at some PW churches.  I work at a PW church and ya'll would not BELIEVE how some people roll up in there.  Like they just came from planting some magnolias and decided, "Hey - let me see what's up with the Lord this morning!" ???  Flip-flops, shorts, jeans - a mess!