Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard's homecoming  (Read 13149 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »
man anyone getting the feeling that Charlie Brown would get when adults would talk? :D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

John Galt

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2005, 02:06:20 PM »
Look here young Man. Morehouse and Spelman are ranked #1 male/felame because they offer the best quality of education for African-Americans in the country. I unerstand that Howard is a university and yall have a med school, and law school, and business school. However, you can't #@!* for Morehouse. Our UG program is simply better. Get me a soda Howard Boy.    

1 Accredited four-year colleges or universities with an African American student enrollment of at least 3%.

2 Colleges or universities that did not meet criteria one, but are large or well-known (e.g., the University of Southern California)

The goal was to be as inclusive as possible while targeting schools that would be of interest to black students.

We surveyed 1,855 African American higher education professionals with titles such as president, chancellor, and provost, for their assessments of the social and educational environments of the nation's colleges and universities for African American students. Each school received a rating from 2 (strongly recommended) to -2 (strongly not recommended) with 0 being neutral. Schools were categorized according to the college classification protocol developed by U.S. News and World Report, which is a modified version of the protocol developed by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Survey respondents were asked to rate only schools that they were knowledgeable about.

The BE top colleges list was developed by Thomas A. LaVeist, Ph.D., professor of health policy,management, and sociology at Johns Hopkins University, and CEO of DayStar Research. LaVeist is the author of DayStar Guide to Colleges for African Americans (Kaplan/Simon & Schuster; $20) and co-author of 8 Steps to Help Black Families Pay for College (Princeton Review; $13). The list, based on the DayStar rating, was calculated by developing a regression-based, weighted, multiplicative index combining four variables:

This is about the schools overall quality of education. Morehouse is ranked #1 for that my friend.  

1 The school's five-year graduation rate for African Americans

2 The school's percentage of African American undergraduate students

3 The school's average survey score for the school's academic environment

4 The school's average survey score for the school's social environment

Yeah, but the fact is that the black enterprise ranking is what schools are best for black students to attend. Not which schools offer the best overall quality of education. Second, there is no way you can even compare Howard to Morehouse or Spelman. Those are liberal arts colleges. We are a National Doctoral University. I hate to break it to you, but that means Spelman can't compete with Howard.

I don't want to take anything away from Morehouse. Alot of my boys go there. Its a hell of a school.  Hell, my mom went to spelman...but if you're talking about the undisputed top HBCU in terms of quality of academics, resources, and opportunities...then you're talking about howard. Period.

I got nothing but love for you HBCU. I mean you were the first person to welcome me to this board some 8 months ago. But you're telling me that a survey proves that Morehouse is number 1. I know you're happy Morehouse is finally on some sort of list, but damn homey, its all love. If you say Morehouse is better...then ok. Its better. I'm content with my second rate university.

Anyways, we still got ya'll when it comes to Homecoming...but we suck at sports. Oh and HBCU, Morehouse men have done some fantastic things...but you really don't want to get into a debate about alumni do you?

elegantpearl01

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2005, 02:08:41 PM »
Everyone knows that black college football and bands suck outside of the MEAC and the SWAC.

kloud9nupe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2005, 02:10:47 PM »
Everyone boast and brag about the HISTORY and FORMER students of their school and that is fine, but who is going to be the new Ralph Bunche, Martin Luther King, T.B. Ellis, Walter Payton, Thurgood Marshall, Former Edu. Secretary Paige and so forth of HBCUs. A lot of people get complacent about the distinguish alumni and failed to grow the new generation of alumni. Who is your school producing now to replace these legendary figures? The torch has to be passed!

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 02:14:03 PM »
Look here young Man. Morehouse and Spelman are ranked #1 male/felame because they offer the best quality of education for African-Americans in the country. I unerstand that Howard is a university and yall have a med school, and law school, and business school. However, you can't #@!* for Morehouse. Our UG program is simply better. Get me a soda Howard Boy.    

1 Accredited four-year colleges or universities with an African American student enrollment of at least 3%.

2 Colleges or universities that did not meet criteria one, but are large or well-known (e.g., the University of Southern California)

The goal was to be as inclusive as possible while targeting schools that would be of interest to black students.

We surveyed 1,855 African American higher education professionals with titles such as president, chancellor, and provost, for their assessments of the social and educational environments of the nation's colleges and universities for African American students. Each school received a rating from 2 (strongly recommended) to -2 (strongly not recommended) with 0 being neutral. Schools were categorized according to the college classification protocol developed by U.S. News and World Report, which is a modified version of the protocol developed by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Survey respondents were asked to rate only schools that they were knowledgeable about.

The BE top colleges list was developed by Thomas A. LaVeist, Ph.D., professor of health policy,management, and sociology at Johns Hopkins University, and CEO of DayStar Research. LaVeist is the author of DayStar Guide to Colleges for African Americans (Kaplan/Simon & Schuster; $20) and co-author of 8 Steps to Help Black Families Pay for College (Princeton Review; $13). The list, based on the DayStar rating, was calculated by developing a regression-based, weighted, multiplicative index combining four variables:

This is about the schools overall quality of education. Morehouse is ranked #1 for that my friend.  

1 The school's five-year graduation rate for African Americans

2 The school's percentage of African American undergraduate students

3 The school's average survey score for the school's academic environment

4 The school's average survey score for the school's social environment

Yeah, but the fact is that the black enterprise ranking is what schools are best for black students to attend. Not which schools offer the best overall quality of education. Second, there is no way you can even compare Howard to Morehouse or Spelman. Those are liberal arts colleges. We are a National Doctoral University. I hate to break it to you, but that means Spelman can't compete with Howard.

I don't want to take anything away from Morehouse. Alot of my boys go there. Its a hell of a school.  Hell, my mom went to spelman...but if you're talking about the undisputed top HBCU in terms of quality of academics, resources, and opportunities...then you're talking about howard. Period.

I got nothing but love for you HBCU. I mean you were the first person to welcome me to this board some 8 months ago. But you're telling me that a survey proves that Morehouse is number 1. I know you're happy Morehouse is finally on some sort of list, but damn homey, its all love. If you say Morehouse is better...then ok. Its better. I'm content with my second rate university.

Anyways, we still got ya'll when it comes to Homecoming...but we suck at sports. Oh and HBCU, Morehouse men have done some fantastic things...but you really don't want to get into a debate about alumni do you?

Alumni!? Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. now get me a soda!

Howard is a great school. I'm just messing around. HOward came down for our homecoming in 1998 I think and beat the *&^% out of us like 40 to 7. OMG is was sad some I'm kinda hurt by that.  

elegantpearl01

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 02:15:23 PM »
Has Morehouse won any football games?? Who has the better team Clark-Atlanta or Morehouse?  I know CAU is pretty sad.

John Galt

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
Everyone boast and brag about the HISTORY and FORMER students of their school and that is fine, but who is going to be the new Ralph Bunche, Martin Luther King, T.B. Ellis, Walter Payton, Thurgood Marshall, Former Edu. Secretary Paige and so forth of HBCUs. A lot of people get complacent about the distinguish alumni and failed to grow the new generation of alumni. Who is your school producing now to replace these legendary figures? The torch has to be passed!

Good Point. I think the schools are doing a fine job of passing the torch. I just think that there has evolved a disconnect between middle class blacks and poor blacks. I think this is the thing that has been pissing me off about Howard the most. It is producing people to be leaders within the status quo...I don't think the training is conducive for broad change anymore. And thats sad because a lot of students have this idea that "we've made it." But in my opinion there is still a lot to be done and what we do in this generation will be a less combative, but nonetheless an important civil rights movement (quality of public schools, economic development in inner cities, police brutality, loan discrimination, ect...)

Overall, it is the student not the university who serves as the catalyst for change...but I'd like to see more focus from Howard.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
Has Morehouse won any football games?? Who has the better team Clark-Atlanta or Morehouse?  I know CAU is pretty sad.

Morehouse has a better football team now. We beat Clark last year at homecoming. However, we are not that good to be honest. We have sucked for a very long time. I'm so glad to be in the SWAC now! God.

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2005, 02:20:59 PM »

Good Point. I think the schools are doing a fine job of passing the torch. I just think that there has evolved a disconnect between middle class blacks and poor blacks. I think this is the thing that has been pissing me off about Howard the most. It is producing people to be leaders within the status quo...I don't think the training is conducive for broad change anymore. And thats sad because a lot of students have this idea that "we've made it." But in my opinion there is still a lot to be done and what we do in this generation will be a less combative, but nonetheless an important civil rights movement (quality of public schools, economic development in inner cities, police brutality, loan discrimination, ect...)

Overall, it is the student not the university who serves as the catalyst for change...but I'd like to see more focus from Howard.

I don't think it's a good point at all. Morehouse, Howard, FAMU, Spelman, etc do a great job at passing the torch. You will see Morehouse , FAMU, and HU men and women as current leaders in a myriad of work areas all over the country and world. HBCU graduates are doing it big TODAY.

John Galt

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 02:23:57 PM »
Yeah, the point I thought he made that was good was that we can't just be content with who we've produced. We've gotta carry on that legacy. I didn't necessarily agree with the other guy's entire post. Like I said, I think the schools have done a fine job passing the torch. I just hope that as we continue to become leaders in all these areas, we don't forget to fight for those less fortunate for us as well. Thats all I'm saying.