Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Howard's homecoming  (Read 12521 times)

CaliToD.C.

Re: Howard's homecoming
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 11:09:38 PM »
Im gonna have the whole Bay through there!

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »
When is it? (for those of us not in the loop) ;)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 11:19:37 PM »
This is really interesting to me.  Why do people go to a homecoming at a school they never attended?  I mean, I am sure it's a fun event and all, but I have never reeally thought about going to homecoming stuff at another school. 
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 11:53:07 PM »
it's Howard...the mecca.. you have to experience an HBCU homecoming to understand why people go in droves... it's nothing..and i mean nothing like a PWI homecoming
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ellenbee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 11:57:18 PM »
I never went to homecoming at my undergrad, but all this talk about Howard makes me want to go.
"Law school is like groundhog day. Every day is the same, you see the same people in the same places doing the same stuff every damn day. You get no feedback and basically pay 40K a year to teach yourself law and get harassed by professors. What a racket." - RonSantoRules

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 02:03:33 AM »
This is really interesting to me. Why do people go to a homecoming at a school they never attended? I mean, I am sure it's a fun event and all, but I have never reeally thought about going to homecoming stuff at another school.

It's not just "another school" Ruskie. It's not homecoming at a white school like Chico State or some sh*t. You are talking about HBCUs. It's all about the black family experience and black folk from all over are welcome to enjoy....

it's Howard...the mecca.. you have to experience an HBCU homecoming to understand why people go in droves... it's nothing..and i mean nothing like a PWI homecoming

I don’t understand that blk_reign. Why do people call Howard “the mecca” when clearly the AUC (Atlanta University Center) is the Mecca of black intellectual power and prestige: Morehouse College (Ranked #1 HBCU for 2 yrs in a row)  , Morehouse Theological Seminary, Morehouse Medical School, Spelman College (Ranked #2 HBCU for 2 yrs in a row. #1 for black women obviously) , Clark Atlanta University,  and Morris Brown College. I mean come on now. When we have homecoming in the AUC we do it real big. Perhaps Howard is a mecca...but, it's not the mecca. F*ck HOWARD!

BLSD- Check out some 2004 Morehouse Homecoming Pics:
http://vipphotos.net/gallery/homecoming10302004

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 02:49:24 AM »
This is really interesting to me. Why do people go to a homecoming at a school they never attended? I mean, I am sure it's a fun event and all, but I have never reeally thought about going to homecoming stuff at another school.

It's not just "another school" Ruskie. It's not homecoming at a white school like Chico State or some sh*t. You are talking about HBCUs. It's all about the black family experience and black folk from all over are welcome to enjoy....

I don’t understand that blk_reign. Why do people call Howard “the mecca” when clearly the AUC (Atlanta University Center) is the Mecca of black intellectual power and prestige: Morehouse College (Ranked #1 HBCU for 2 yrs in a row)  , Morehouse Theological Seminary, Morehouse Medical School, Spelman College (Ranked #2 HBCU for 2 yrs in a row. #1 for black women obviously) , Clark Atlanta University,  and Morris Brown College. I mean come on now. When we have homecoming in the AUC we do it real big. Perhaps Howard is a mecca...but, it's not the mecca. F*ck HOWARD!

i mean, i understand that it's an hbcu and all.  i guess it's just a different culture of homecoming functions.  our functions cater to alums and current students. when fools that have never gone to ut, never knew anyone who went to ut, and never so much as set foot in a college classroom show up at our homecoming, they aren't very welcome.  it's an event for people with ties to ut and not a damn free for all that any fool within a 3000 mile radius of knoxville can attend so he can pick up college educated women. i presume that's how it is at most white schools.  that's why i never really had the desire to go to another school's homecoming.  as you have explained to me, hbcu's are different. the howard thing seems to be more inclusive.  i guess folks don't get looked at funny when they show up without ties to the school. hey, it probably makes for a bigger and better party.  that's cool, i just didn't know that before.  thanks for edumacating me! ;) :-*

EDIT: the free for all comment was in reference to what the fools that show up at our homecoming think it is, not to what an hbcu homecoming is.  realize it sounded a bit off.  just wanted to clarify my intentions.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

John Galt

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 04:03:22 AM »

HAHAHAHAHA...Morehouse and Spelman better than Howard? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Omegaman

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say it Loud! We're Black & Republican & Proud!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 05:04:22 AM »
Howard U. is a historical and integral part of the history of African-Americans
Not to mention it is the location of the first Black Fraternity founded on a HBCU!!

Bruhs & Malcolm X

Alpha Chapter-Spring 1979

sleazyd

• LSAT: 165 UGPA: 3.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 06:29:34 AM »
all i know is that in ludacris' song "pimpin all over the world" he says he can't miss the "homecoming at howard."  sounds pretty important to me.