Law School Discussion

Help out a new friend

Help out a new friend
« on: July 08, 2005, 07:05:17 AM »
I am going to apply for the 2006 cycle, and I was looking for some helpful advice. I will graduate from a school ranked in the top 30 or so for undergrad as a finance and economics double major, with a GPA around 3.5. I have some decent experience with financial internships and what not, and some extracurriculars. I am from the philly area so would be looking to stay on the Atlantic. I took a practice LSAT from Kaplan totally cold, without ever seeing it before and got a 167. What should I do now to best prepare to improve? What realistically can I hope to get after study (in October)? What schools should I be looking to apply to as reaches, targets...etc, and where would I have a chance of getting some money? Also, What will schools think of the financial backgroud, positive or negative? Any advice would help alot, thanks.

dunson

Re: Help out a new friend
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 07:29:40 AM »
dont take kaplan's course, it will only decrease your score.

either study on your own or take a powerscore or testmasters course.  take the lsat, then apply. a 167 is a great starting point.

you can probably get  your score up over 172+ and get into many top 25 schools.  the financial background will help only marginally, if at all. 

what are your aspirations?

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:34:06 AM »
I would like the chance to work at a biglaw firm, anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic I would say, though Philly is certainly a preference.

dunson

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 08:31:34 AM »
then definitely study hard on the lsat to make sure you get into penn.  i doubt you will have much trouble.

gailrules

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:35:47 AM »
Don't get too confident with your first practice. I didn't score sky high on my first try like you did, but when I took it for real I scored several points lower than I was scoring days before prep day. A lot of factors sneak into play on test day. I've seen so many posts that read "I scored 169 on my first try but got a 155 on test day..."