Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I live?  (Read 2404 times)

Master Shake

• I rock baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Can I live?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 11:37:13 PM »

Jwebony956

• Planning my work, working my plan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 10:11:18 AM »
You are saying you got a handout, heh, that means that you ARE below the people that you are going to school with then, right?
a 3.0 isn;t anything to be proud of anyways, just so you know.,

You misread what she said >:( She is saying she has a right to be given a handout based on her socioeconomic situation and struggles to pay for school and still do well, not because her numbers were lower than other applicants. Legalgirl, do your thing girl and don't mind these ignorant fools. I am also from Brooklyn, and have experienced the same situation you are referring to. If you're applying for this upcoming fall, study well for those LSATs and keep your head up. Hit me up if you want to talk to someone who is in the same situation as you: black female who has aspirations and who must always prove herself to white counterparts. Look out White America, we are coming in strong and hard, watch your backs! :D   
Top 6 Choices:
Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwestern

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »
Hey, you don't even know where I am coming from, so maybe you have no room to criticize yourself.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 02:14:24 PM »
I'm a white boy and yet I too feel like I am forced to "prove myself" constantly.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 03:11:14 PM »
Yeah, no one knows how another life's is, so cut it already/

kookoogirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 11:26:08 AM »
There may be discrimination, but where in the world is there not?

Yet some rise above and some don't. Its all about you, not them. You got to look within yourself and figure out what your problem is for keeping yourself back and not always complain about what others might do...

I hear too much whining all the time...

The previous generation of African Americans were amazing. They didn't complain and just soldiered on forward and did not let anything hold them back. But now from their grandkids and great grandkids I hear far too much whining and complaining rather than emulating their forefathers progress, which really sucks...

sarmstrong806

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2005, 02:39:57 AM »
If it was purely about socio-economic disadvantage then why wouldn't the decision be made based on proof of parent(s) income and or documentation of the situation. I think that there was a time for AA, when schools did not like blacks and didn't want them in their classes. There is simply no arguement for that today. To assume that just because someone is black they are poor and have tried harder is flawed reasoning. If you want to base it on poor schools, no money, etc, there are plenty of people of all races that fit this criteria. The discrepency is that two individuals could have the exact same life, low income, bad schools, single parent families, and one could be white, one black. The black person gets an admissions advantage while the white person doesn't.

Whoever mentioned racial profiling was correct in that its ok when it works to your advantage, stereotypes that support AA, but when stereotypes are used to your disadvtange you cry racism. I believe that everyone deserves a fair shot, but I think other methods should be used to determine someones disadvantage. It could still work exactly the same, but then only people who deserved the help would get it. 

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »
What about the people in Appalachia? I believe most of them are NOT black, how are THEY supposed to get to law school? I think basing things on race now is just plain stupid. Ooo, just because you had a single parent household, so what, MANY kids of DIFFERENT backgrounds face that everyday. Get over it, and yourself already.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 05:12:05 PM »
Well, you know, the inventor of AA just died, so will shall see what happens.