Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: charged with crime  (Read 2865 times)

RRMitsu

charged with crime
« on: March 03, 2003, 01:30:38 PM »
In 2002, I was arrested for being with someone that had stolen something (worth about $5) from a store.  Anyways, I was arrested for supposedly being an accomplice.  The officer dropped the charges after I was brought in to the station.  But he did tell me that I would have to goto court and pay a fine or whatever.  I went to court..and I had to pay a fine for a township ordinance.  I paid the fine.  Now my question is... when filling out applications for law schools, will this extremely affect the decision?  I was actually going to get a copy of my police record and see what exactly it says on there.  If it says anything at all about this, I was going to see if I can get it expunged and cleared from my record.  But hopefully there is nothing on my record.  Also, if I have to get it expunged, can I answer no to the questin about being charged with a crime on the applications?   Since this is so minor, I was just considering explaining everything on the application also...  But im not sure on which is the best route to take here regarding this...             Thanks.

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: charged with crime
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 08:54:47 AM »
Okay.  Let me first start by telling you that you need to find out if you were convicted of the crime or if it was dismissed after the fine was paid.  I was arrested in 1998 for a bad check (25.00) long story, but I had to pay it and then it was dismissed and it showed on my record as dismissed.  I recently got a government job and I was cleared based on my truthfulness and the fact it did say dismissed.  Also, you need to contact the individual schools and ask them for a definition of what they consider to be a misdeamenor that would prevent you from being admitted to the bar.  Or better yet call the bar association(s) for the states you plan to practice in.  One of my friends was in your same situation in 1994 and it still remains on her record and she has a masters in Sociology but can't use it because of the conviction.  Getting it cleared doesn't happen overnight.  She had to have Senators and Mayors write letters on her behalf and 3 years later she still has that on her record.  Good luck.

RRMitsu

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 07:55:13 AM »
okay - i went and got a copy of my arrest report from the police station.  I also went and applied for a disposition from the court.  They told me that the disposition would show the results of my case and all.  So after I have this disposition, I think it will tell me if I was convicted or dismissed...hopefully... I am getting the disposition tommorow so I hope it says something positive.  I never knew that something so minor as this could prevent me from being admitted to a bar???  Is it really that serious for something so minor?

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 02:15:15 AM »
That's good that you got that far.  I would honestly think that you are all set and wouldn't need to tell law schools anything.  You probably won't get this message until after court but good luck.  Think positive.  You'll be fine.... ;D ;)

RRMitsu

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 06:25:27 AM »
well here is the outcome of everything:

my disposition (the results from the court case) states that I was found guilty of theft and paid a fine of $700.00 and court fees.  

my arrest report states simply that I was very truthful to the officer and that the object being stolen was only worth $4.00 and it was intended as merely a prank.

I also found out that in order to have this expunged, I have to wait 5 years.

I called up the NY state bar association and talked to them - they told me that there are no guidelines as long as my crime wasn't something as major as homicide... They told me to call Appellate Division Character & Fitness Committee just to be positive.   - so i called them up.

The guy over there told me that basically if the matter was handled and taken care of that I should have nothing to worry about.  When applying for the bar, they like to see that you are fully honest and open about everything that relates to it.  He also said that as long as there are no open matters which have not yet been resolved, there should be nothing to stop anyone from becoming an attorney in NY.

So overall, im happy that I can still follow through on my dream of this career.
What sucks is that when I start applying to some law schools in my area, there will probably be a little bias based upon my acceptance.  But, i guess if i got the grades and a nice lsat score.. i should have no problem as long as I'm honest...

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 06:31:02 AM »
That's excellent!  Be positive....  Honesty is always the best choice look at how my honesty landed me this government job with excellent benefits and a tuition reimbursement and remission program, I am going to law school for free.  Good luck!!!

dagman

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 06:01:48 PM »
Cocoramel,

You mentioned a government job.  What kind of security clearance were you getting?  I was under the impression that unless the crime was serious, like a felony or tax evasion, it would not matter so long as you disclosed it.  Like in this case, a simple shoplifting case should not prevent you from anything.  Have you heard different?

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 02:18:29 AM »
My job is with a port authority and after 9/11 you know everything changed.  I disclosed my brief incounter with the law and went to the court and got documents that my case was infact dismissed.  And was told by human resources that if I hadn't disclosed that and be upfront and honest I would have not gotten this job.  Also, after about a month or less of working here I received a call from an airline employee looking for info on how to appeal a decision about firing her.  Basically she wanted info on how to sue us..(like we would give it) but after directing it to the appropriate Attorney I found out that she lied about a conviction that was a misdeamnor and that's why she's gone.  So every little thing counts nowadays.  If anything it's easier to tell the truth than to sit and wonder if you were found out and being a liar never flies at least not in my field.  Did you get any answers from bar associations about your situation?  I believe that you will be fine based on your honesty.  Keep me posted.

dagman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 05:36:25 AM »
Im not worried about the bar.  They accept people with plenty of crimes.  So long as you disclose and the crimes are not overly serious, I have not heard of it being a problem. Like you said, its about disclosure.  What I am interested in is federal government employment.  For instance, even if you do disclose, there are some things which i'm sure would prevent you from getting a clearance.  Thats more what I was wondering about.  I am under the impression that they look at the whole picture - not just the specific offence, if it is somethinf like a misdemeanor.

I mean, how critical can they be?  Most people have something they have been convicted of.  In college or somewhere along the way.  I dont know anyone who has never been in any trouble.

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 05:43:07 AM »
You are absolutely right, that they do look at the whole picture but if you start off by lying than the other part of the picture wouldn't mean a damn thing.  They are basically looking to verify all information that you provided on your resume' and application.  So as long as you're truthful about yours than you are fine.  Don't worry!!! ;)