Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrorist Attack in London  (Read 3560 times)

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
Terrorist Attack in London
« on: July 07, 2005, 08:30:01 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4659093.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4659641.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2005/london_explosions/default.stm

I know its only 5 am PST and 8 am EST but there was a terrorist attack on the London transportation system. Ironically this occurs the day after the announcement that London would be hosting the 2012 Olympics and during the G8 talks. The buzz around the office is that if New York, Moscow, Madrid, or even Paris won the bid, there would have been an attack at those host cities. Authorities the cities mentioned above are on alert. IMHO this attack was to deflect attention from the G8 summit, which is really upsetting because the focus on the summit was to combat poverty in Africa. Now the biggest proponent of canceling Africa's foreign debt has to go back to London to deal with the terrorist attack. 

Although this is still UNCONFIRMED, sources believe that Al Qaeda is behind the attack in London. I really hope that isn’t the case because then Bush will have more ammunition and support for his “war on terrorism”
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Terrorist Attack in London
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 08:41:43 AM »
Although this is still UNCONFIRMED, sources believe that Al Qaeda is behind the attack in London. I really hope that isn’t the case because then Bush will have more ammunition and support for his “war on terrorism”

I think a little worldwide support would be helpful at this point.  These terrorists don't care who they hurt, and maybe now that's becoming more obvious (especially if what you say about the Olympics is true).  It would have been interesting to see how France would have reacted if it was Paris getting hit this morning... mon dieu!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 08:44:24 AM »
Terrorism is a real thing, and I think that this proves that Bush has found the way to start getting back at them. The terrorists supposedly hate America so much, hmm, but the new attack is in London, just shows that they will do whatever it takes to get their own agendas done. I am just glad that Bush took care of it here on our own homefront, otherwise that would have been us again.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 08:52:59 AM »
Call me an idealist but if these so called terrorist are trying to get their point across, why attack innocent people? Those Londoners are regular people just trying to live their lives. IN fact most Europeans are against US occupation in the Middle East, so why attack them? Right now I'm in Geneva and on the tram to the UN today a lot of people had a change of opinon on the US war on terror. This situation just infuriates me because incidents like in London just validates Bush's campaign on terrorism. IF these so called terrorist are acting in the name of "God" by hurting thousands of people, then maybe they should get hunted down like animals and locked away for the rest of their natural lives.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

be10dwn

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 08:57:49 AM »
Call me an idealist but if these so called terrorist are trying to get their point across, why attack innocent people? Those Londoners are regular people just trying to live their lives. IN fact most Europeans are against US occupation in the Middle East, so why attack them? Right now I'm in Geneva and on the tram to the UN today a lot of people had a change of opinon on the US war on terror. This situation just infuriates me because incidents like in London just validates Bush's campaign on terrorism. IF these so called terrorist are acting in the name of "God" by hurting thousands of people, then maybe they should get hunted down like animals and locked away for the rest of their natural lives.

Now you're starting to see the truth.  These aren't some poor oppressed people, they are evil and kill innocents because they are truly evil.  Bush didn't start this by the way.  Look at Lebanon, Khobar Towers, Saudi Arabia the USS Cole.  They have been at war with us MUCH longer than we ahve been at war with them.

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:00:50 AM »
It has been confirmed that AlQ is responsible. I don't have words to express the panick here. My office is in Moorgate, where one of the first explosions occurred. We can see police blocking out the area from our windows. Scary that they are blocking out where you are! I can't believe this has happened. We're lucky that noone in our firm has been injured, but what about the others?
There is, of course, no excuse for this behaviuor. But how can you reason with an organisation whose whole value system is completely in contrast with yours? Since they don't value human life, I just don't see what form of punishment could be on inflicted on them, even if the people responsible were caught.

be10dwn

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »
It has been confirmed that AlQ is responsible. I don't have words to express the panick here. My office is in Moorgate, where one of the first explosions occurred. We can see police blocking out the area from our windows. Scary that they are blocking out where you are! I can't believe this has happened. We're lucky that noone in our firm has been injured, but what about the others?
There is, of course, no excuse for this behaviuor. But how can you reason with an organisation whose whole value system is completely in contrast with yours? Since they don't value human life, I just don't see what form of punishment could be on inflicted on them, even if the people responsible were caught.

Wow, how terrinle!  Thank GOD you are okay.  You answered your own statement.  You can't reason with these people.  You have to destroy them. 

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 09:15:50 AM »
You make no sense in saying that since they are terrorists why would they take innocent lives. Sheesh, BECAUSE they are terrorists they are taking innocent lives. They have wierd ideas about the norm in society and they are just mad that they cannot naturally get their owwn way, through democracy and so on. Now maybe people will see what kind of threat this REALLY is. That is probably why they struck there, to show that they mean business, since people seem to think that we are wrong with the war and all.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 09:25:55 AM »
Security is extra tight around the UN office in Geneva right now. I think the WTO is closing for today as well.

ImVinny I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot. I understand they are terrorist, but killing innocent people isn't going to further their cause unless they are trying to start chaos. Theortically if these groups are trying to convert the world to Islam, killing folks isn't going to accomplish that goal. These fundamentalist are so contradictory because Islam is supposed to be a peaceful religion. What has happened in London is repuslive. I'm just grateful that the attack didn't occur during rush hour or a lot more people would be dead.

be10dwn

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 09:45:20 AM »
Security is extra tight around the UN office in Geneva right now. I think the WTO is closing for today as well.

ImVinny I wasn't trying to sound like an idiot. I understand they are terrorist, but killing innocent people isn't going to further their cause unless they are trying to start chaos. Theortically if these groups are trying to convert the world to Islam, killing folks isn't going to accomplish that goal. These fundamentalist are so contradictory because Islam is supposed to be a peaceful religion. What has happened in London is repuslive. I'm just grateful that the attack didn't occur during rush hour or a lot more people would be dead.

They did occur during rush hour from what the news is saying.