Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrorist Attack in London  (Read 3536 times)

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Terrorist Attack in London
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 09:48:45 AM »
That's what I heard too this morning.
I'm not saying that you are an idiot, just that you are looking at the idea of terrorism wrong. Just because you may not like Bush doesnt mean that you need to totally disagree with what the man says.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 09:59:30 AM »
Terrorism is a real thing, and I think that this proves that Bush has found the way to start getting back at them. The terrorists supposedly hate America so much, hmm, but the new attack is in London, just shows that they will do whatever it takes to get their own agendas done. I am just glad that Bush took care of it here on our own homefront, otherwise that would have been us again.

This is just ignorant.  I'm sorry, but Bush has not taken care of jack here on our own homefront.  I just heard that it's been reported here and there that the bus explosion in London was in fact a suicide bomber.  I'm expecting it to slowly become apparent that *all* of these explosions were suicide bombers.  If you have any doubt in your mind that somethign like this is possible in the US, you're insane.  It'd be ridiculously easy to hit almost any major city in the US during rush hour on public transportation.

The fact that the attack was in London doesn't mean they're done with the US or have moved on.  Funny, but last I checked the UK was one of Bush's biggest ally in Iraq.

Regardless this discussion, my heart goes out to the people of London, and anyone who has family or friends in the city.   :'( :'(

be10dwn

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 10:04:36 AM »
Terrorism is a real thing, and I think that this proves that Bush has found the way to start getting back at them. The terrorists supposedly hate America so much, hmm, but the new attack is in London, just shows that they will do whatever it takes to get their own agendas done. I am just glad that Bush took care of it here on our own homefront, otherwise that would have been us again.

This is just ignorant.  I'm sorry, but Bush has not taken care of jack here on our own homefront.  I just heard that it's been reported here and there that the bus explosion in London was in fact a suicide bomber.  I'm expecting it to slowly become apparent that *all* of these explosions were suicide bombers.  If you have any doubt in your mind that somethign like this is possible in the US, you're insane.  It'd be ridiculously easy to hit almost any major city in the US during rush hour on public transportation.

The fact that the attack was in London doesn't mean they're done with the US or have moved on.  Funny, but last I checked the UK was one of Bush's biggest ally in Iraq.

Regardless this discussion, my heart goes out to the people of London, and anyone who has family or friends in the city.   :'( :'(

I don't think anyone thinks that they are "done with the US".  The question is how many attacks have been thwarted because of the war on terror?  Like I said in another thread, we have to be right 100% across the entire world, they only have to be right once in order to be successful.  And once again, Bush didn't start this "war".  This war has been going on for 25 years at least.  We, at least most people, have only recently woken up to this fact. 

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 10:15:47 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660411.stm

Muslim leaders join condemnation 

Muslim women in headscarves are warned to be vigilant
Muslim leaders have condemned the attacks on London and said they fear their communities could now fall prey to vigilante attacks.
Muslim Association of Britain president Ahmed Sheikh said the attacks would make the Muslim community less safe.

He said women in headscarves might be in particular danger and warned all Muslims to be especially vigilant.

Muslim News editor Ahmed Versi noted one of London's biggest Muslim areas, around Aldgate, had been targeted.

Mr Sheikh said the unique good relationship Muslims had with the government and society was threatened.

"The person who did this was targeting along with wider British society the Muslim community, ruining the good relationship we have."

Muslims have to be vigilant now, especially the mosques, and I hope the police will increase security

Ahmed Versi
Muslim News

London rocked by terror attacks

He said the police should consider extra protection for mosques and Islamic schools and said Muslims, particularly women in headscarves, should be vigilant and avoid unnecessary journeys.

"It is scary. A tiny element of the community will make use of this. It is a blow to us, to all of us. It is a moment of sadness and we send our condolences to the families of those who have been killed or injured."

Sir Iqbal Sacranie of the Muslim Council of Britain said he utterly condemned the attacks.

"We are simply appalled and want to express our deepest condolences to the families.

"These terrorists, these evil peoplewant to demoralise us as a nation and divide us.

"All of must unite in helping the police to hunt these murderers down."

Mr Sacranie admitted "there may well be elements who want to exploit this tragedy and incite hatred".

Attacks danger

Mr Versi said he had already received one threatening e-mail about the blasts.

"There might be some increase in attacks on the Muslim community especially visible aspects of Islam like mosques, community centres and women with headscarves.

"Recently there have been a lot of attacks on Muslim women on buses in London, it has increased during the last few months."

But he said the immediate Muslim revulsion at the attacks could help calm the situation.

"I don't think there'll be as high a number of attacks as after 11 September because Muslims have come out very strongly, especially Muslim leaders, condemning the attacks.

"I'm sure many Muslims will have been injured as well... one of the bombs - at Aldgate - was near to the east London mosque, it's a very heavy Muslim area.

"Muslims have to be vigilant now, especially the mosques, and I hope the police will increase security on mosques and Islamic centres."

What sucks is that these people are probably going to fall victim to hate crimes because of these evil a$$ terrorist who are using Islam as a reason for these attacks.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 10:22:44 AM »
Another sad day, indeed.  When are we all going to shake off our own bickering and make it a GLOBAL EFFORT to stamp out this insanity for the good of ALL mankind?

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 10:24:26 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/07/london.tube/index.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=aTmt3j5vkwHw&refer=europe
So basically a group calling themseleves the "Secret Organization group of al Qaeda Organization in Europe," claimed responsibility in a Web site posting.

Al-Qaeda Claims Responsibility for London Attacks on Internet
July 7 (Bloomberg) -- A group calling itself the al-Qaeda Organization in Europe claimed responsibility for a series of bombings across London today, in a statement posted on an Islamist Web site.

``The time has come for the revenge from crusading Zionist nation of Britain,'' the group said in the statement which couldn't be authenticated.

The attacks are ``a response to the massacres carried out by Britain in Iraq and Afghanistan.

``The heroic Mujahedeen carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and fright from the north to the south, east and west.

``We warned the British government and the British people again and again.

``We have fulfilled our promise and carried out a blessed military raid in Britain after hard efforts carried out by heroic Mujahedeen. The efforts went on for a long time, guaranteeing success.

``We still warn the governments of Denmark, Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will meet the same fate if they don't pull their forces out of Iraq and Afghanistan.''

The statement, posted on the al-Saha web site, is dated today and is signed by the secret Organization of al-Qaeda in Europe.

To contact the reporter on this story:
Caroline Alexander in London at  calexander1@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: July 7, 2005 08:15 EDT  
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
"I don't think anyone thinks that they are "done with the US". The question is how many attacks have been thwarted because of the war on terror? Like I said in another thread, we have to be right 100% across the entire world, they only have to be right once in order to be successful. And once again, Bush didn't start this "war". This war has been going on for 25 years at least. We, at least most people, have only recently woken up to this fact.
"

I totally agree with that. I was NOT saying that the terrorists are done with us, just that other countries need to realize that the US is not the only one getting it. We'll see who joins us now, but I dont think people will see things until it hits their own homefronts.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005, 10:28:07 AM »
Well didn't the Tony Blaire receive criticism for supporting Bush in the first place? 

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 10:30:10 AM »
Well didn't the Tony Blaire receive criticism for supporting Bush in the first place? 

Always has.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 10:32:34 AM »
The really terrible thing was that the olympics was created to "stop" wars between countries.  Instead of hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying to prove which country was the greatest, the best athletes from each country would come to settle the score peacefully.  This is a sad day indeed.  Im still trying to get intouch with friends who I met this summer when I was travelling in Europe.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05