Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: billable hours calculator - check it out  (Read 4278 times)

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: billable hours calculator - check it out
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 12:54:21 AM »
That looks neat.. I'm not sure what all that means quite yet, but yeah. Fun to play with, hehehe.
OSU Moritz

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 01:18:50 AM »
9.5 hours a day M-F equals 2395.5 billable hours a year?  That seems easy compared to what i heard from people that were associates. what gives?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

funkmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 02:46:37 AM »
9.5 hours a day M-F equals 2395.5 billable hours a year?  That seems easy compared to what i heard from people that were associates. what gives?

not all hours in office are billable... the rule of thumb i've heard is that 2/3 of your time "at work" is billable.

dunson

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 07:39:45 AM »
you didn't take out for nonbillable time.  check out the bottom of the calculator.

you can adjust the calculator to reflect the amount of time you use for commute, lunch, dinner, administrative, etc. to account for nonbillable time.

9.5 hours a day M-F equals 2395.5 billable hours a year? That seems easy compared to what i heard from people that were associates. what gives?

not all hours in office are billable... the rule of thumb i've heard is that 2/3 of your time "at work" is billable.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:42:22 AM »
Plus, you're going to be doing a lot of partners work, so it's billable hours for them, not you.

dunson

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:19:47 PM »
Plus, you're going to be doing a lot of partners work, so it's billable hours for them, not you.

that is a point most people don't realize if they've never worked in a firm. 

however, i understand some firms count these as billable hours and others do not.  some only count what is billed by you to the client and others count what you put on your timesheets, reasonably recognizing that not everything anyone bills is going to be paid for.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 02:36:45 PM »

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »
That translates to rougly 12-14 hours per day at work.

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 02:48:11 PM »
This kind of thing is a joke. If you take the time to try to schedule your entire year like this, you've gotten into the wrong career. Sure, you have to work tons of hours, but if you are trying to calculate from the get-go how many hours a day for this and that and every tiny little thing, you'll go insane.
Too many things come up, especially in a big firm, that don't fit into a nice little schedule.
Sure, you may plan to spend only 30 minutes a day eating lunch, but what happens when a partner decides to take you out for an hour and a half lunch. I work for a law firm now, I see partners do this with first-year associates.. i know it happens.
These things are a waste of time.