Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dating and Relationships (for Single Students Only)  (Read 2801 times)

brennan381

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dating and Relationships (for Single Students Only)
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 03:41:12 PM »
My gf and I have been dating for over two years now.  This last year was rough, since she was a 1L at Rutgers-Camden, and I was still and undergrad.  Nevertheless, we decided to keep trying (and boy, its not easy), but I'm beginning to think it just won't work out.  I will be tied down in Omaha, NE, and the chances of us seeing each other more than two-three times a year are just null. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 03:57:21 PM »
I've been with my bf for coming up on a year and a half now.  We're really lucky because I think we found each other at really good times in our lives.  I'm taking two years off before ls, which is just enough time for him to finish his degree here in boston (he took time off before undergrad).  My 1L will be his last semester.  We want to get married and spend the rest of our lives together, so we're doing the application process together.  He's more than willing to move, since he'll be ready for a new job and he's been at the one he's at now for so long mostly for the flexibility it gives him for school.  We're going over potential places we'd like to move, and if I like the ls in the area, I'll apply.  I'm also looking at schools that I like, and then looking at the areas they're in, and he considers if he'd be happy there.

Like any commited relationship, and what you'll eventually have to do when you have a spouse, believe it or not, is to compromise and come to decisions that make the BOTH of you as happy as possible.  If this means breaking up to reach for dreams, long distance relationships, or relocating to be with someone, so be it.  Every couple is different, and each person has their own issues they can't compromise on.  I'm just lucky to have a man that supports my dream as though its his own, and is excited to help me along with it.

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »
Hi all,

I usually don't post on this board, but this topic interested me, and since I have a different take than everyone else, I'm deciding to post.

I have been in a relationship for a bout 2.5 years.  Both my gf and I will be in NYC (me law, her grad) but at different schools.  Even though we will be in the same place I have decided that this is a good time to "take a break."  It's not that I don't love her, but I have really only had two serious relationships - both long term - and I feel like I need to do some time to figure out what I am looking for in a SO.  I figure that with school starting for both of us and 1L being notoriously time-consuming we won't have much time for a relationship anyway.  Rather than wait until school starts and begin to fight over "quality time," then end up hating each other and breaking up, I figure that if we end things before school starts in a hopefuly amicable way, there will be the possibility of an on-going friendship and getting back together if we(I) realize we are right for each other.

My gf claims that other people think this plan is crazy and she is not particularly happy with it herself, but so far she is going along with it.  Am I crazy, what do people think of this?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 05:02:34 PM »
Sounds pretty similar to what I'm thinking of doing and for the exact same reasons, except that she's not going to be in NYC with me

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2004, 05:23:50 PM »
Sounds pretty similar to what I'm thinking of doing and for the exact same reasons, except that she's not going to be in NYC with me

You have the luxary of going away for school.  The "plan" works a lot more easily with the long-distance component factored in.  The next decision I need to make is when to start the "break."  I'm thinking a couple weeks before schools starts to give it some time to sink in.  Again, thoughts?

Iamspartacus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 11:30:05 PM »
I've read everyone's opinions on here and it basically comes down to personal preference. Some won't try the LD thing and basically will move on, which is perfectly understandable. Others will try to stick it out and maybe their relationship will grow for the better or for the worse. Either way, the person has a decision to make that will be tough and no one really knows the right answer. Each decision has its own risks/rewards and we must all go with our decision 100%.

Good luck to everyone.