Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dating and Relationships (for Single Students Only)  (Read 2730 times)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Dating and Relationships (for Single Students Only)
« on: June 13, 2004, 02:36:35 PM »

Any of you who are dating someone right now? What are you going to do when you move away for law school?  Break up....or...doing the long distance thing?

How's the dating scene for law students?  Do they usually date each other or do law students have the opportunity to date undergrads at the university as well?  Or is dating out of the question due to the tremedous amount of work?

Iamspartacus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dating and Relationships (for Single Students Only)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 09:51:31 AM »
I'll give this one a shot.

I started dating this great girl the last couple of months in UG. She was interning her last semester of school in another town about 1.5 hours away. She now has a job there and plans to stay there.

I initially did not want to get involved with anyone before law school started up in the Fall, but she blew me away. Needless to say, our relationship has been working great seeing each other 2-3 days a week and I don't see LS getting in the way too much. I'm moving to a new town for LS, but will still be about 1.5 hours away. The one thing that will help is that she is a nurse and only has to work 3-4 days a week. So will we be able to plan things provided I manage my time correctly.

I think a lot of others will be in similar situations when school starts up. People move to different places after UG because of school/work and want to keep the relationship. Some will work and some won't.

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 06:24:33 PM »
I'm in a different situation that Spartacus.  I'll be starting law school at thirty and have been with my boyfriend for three years.  I'm leaving Delaware to go to Ann Arbor, MI.  My boyfriend doesn't want to quit his job to move to a small college town, so we'll be trying the long distance thing, at least for the first year.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. 

jamiek12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 09:33:39 AM »
Hey!  I am in a similar situation.  My bf and I have been together for 1 and a half years...he'll be in NJ working on a Masters next year while I'll be in Ann Arbor.  I'm a little worried because I haven't had to deal with anything like this before.  Anyone have good advice?  I have one suggestion..when you miss your bf/gf..go to the library.  It won't help the relationship but maybe it would free up some visiting time for later.  ???

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 06:03:30 PM »
here's what the profs think: those in long-distance relationships make the best students (and get the best grades). someone who has a bf/gf/significant other right there with them is going to have plenty of distractions, while the single kids will have a whole different kind of distractions (potentially sitting 2 seats away, even).
so the long-dist thing is at least good for your gpa :P

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 06:05:11 PM »
ahhh.. but what about your libido?  :P

here's what the profs think: those in long-distance relationships make the best students (and get the best grades). someone who has a bf/gf/significant other right there with them is going to have plenty of distractions, while the single kids will have a whole different kind of distractions (potentially sitting 2 seats away, even).

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 07:07:02 PM »
i plan to find a hot girl in law school...

or plan B which is to hook up with some undergrad hotties..... ;D

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 12:18:49 PM »

I'm thinking these profs don't realize the potential of getting your BF video games to play while you study.  You just have to get him a game - tell him to play it (especially something like Final Fantasy) and then everytime you want to goof off and do something with him he'll say something along the lines of "But I thought you had studying to do.  And two more hours and I'll be a level 24 red mage with over 2600 experience points!"

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 06:35:25 PM »
I have a BF and we have decided that trying the long distance thing just isnt for us.  We've been together for 2 years but I will be in LS across the country from him.  The biggest factor in the decision was how much people change over the course of 2-3 years, especially law students, and that neither one of us wanted to hold the other back.

I figure i am going to be starting a whole new part of my life and if he was there with me then it wouldnt be a problem but since he's not... I think its better to break up on good terms and keep in touch rather then hold out for each other, finally be in the same place, realize we have nothing in commom anymore and have a messy breakup.

LambdaChi03

• Sr. Citizen
  • BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 06:49:27 PM »
i plan to find a hot girl in law school...

or plan B which is to hook up with some undergrad hotties..... ;D

I like the way you think, clone!  That's my goal as well!