Law School Discussion

Re: DC Law Forum July 23
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 11:41:20 PM »
Well the soft factors didn't really come in... I brought resumes but the Forum was a lot busier than I expected, so I just basically asked based on LSAT/GPA.

Something else I did that maybe made a bit of a difference, I had already emailed both schools I am interested in mainly ahead of time and so I had a bit of a background with the Adcomms before I met them at the Forum.

bg

• Respect the LSAT!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - benjamingann
    • View Profile
    • BG's Blog 'O Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 11:24:54 AM »
I'm very early in the process.  I'm looking to take the LSAT in December and apply next year for 2007.  So I saw the forum more as a fact finding mission.

I had a list of schools I wanted more information about.  I talked to the Adcomms to get a sense of what somebody with my background should be doing to prepare my application (besides the obvious).  It's good to know if they do rolling admissions or not so you get a sense of when you need to apply to help your chances of getting in.  Also, I live in Virginia, my parents live in Tennessee, so I wanted to know if I could get in-state tuition to UT (the answer is maybe).

I thought the former and current students who were representing their schools was the best part.  You could ask them where they work or what their doing this summer.  I find questions like how did you get your job?  Why did you choose this school?  Those are good questions.  You can go on LSAT.org to figure out what your chances of getting in are so why ask.  I want to know if I go to say SMU (just as an example), am I pretty much going to have to practice in Texas or are there opportunities outside the state.  Those sorts of textured questions are better than asking what the 25-75 range is for the LSAT.

There were too many people in suits.  It's a forum and it was very hot outside.  If you're a guy you should have been wearing a polo and khakis.  There are many Adcomm reps there.  Quite a few Deans of Admission are present (Indiana and Louisville come to mind).  But if not the Deans, the schools sent their number two in many instances.  You weren't just getting students telling you how great their alma mater was.

It was crowded at times.  The DC area schools as expected had the longest lines.  Adcomms start taking lunch breaks around noon and some don't come back until after 2pm so adjust your schedule accordingly.  Also, it gives you an idea of who you are competing against.  You find out what your fellow forum goers are like.  What motivates them.  How they are apporaching their preparation for the LSAT and applications.  Overall it helps demistify the application process and allows you to understand what it's going to take to get in to a school your targeting.

verbal213

• Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 11:33:20 AM »
The forum was OK for me.  I mostly just got brochures and filled out cards and that sort of thing.  I didn't do a lot of talking to the people.  I had had a rough night that Friday, so communicating intelligently was not terribly easy for me.   :-[

verb