Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC or Tulane?  (Read 1635 times)

kad

• View Profile
    • Email
BC or Tulane?
« on: June 13, 2004, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi,
Just got accepted off the waitlist at BC, already have my deposit down at Tulane.
I'm from New Orleans originally but have been living/going to school in New York City for the past couple of years. 
I want to go to the school that provides the most opportunities after graduation in terms of mobility.  The major places I would live would be the Northeast or New Orleans but I'm not sure which yet.  Basically, BC might give me better options in the Northeast, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to come back to New Orleans if I wanted....
Any advice would be appreciated!!

ron80

• View Profile
Re: BC or Tulane?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
Unless you are sure you want to be in New Orleans and have a bunch of family and friends there, I would say you should go to BC. I don't really know anything about Tulane, but I know BC is much more well known and when I visited BC I thought it had great facilities, good professors and really nice people. The downside is that it is kind of in the middle of nowhere Boston...I don't know where Tulane is located, but you definitely would need to live at least 20 minutes away (and have a car!) if you wanted to live in a fun young area of Boston.
I am moving out of Boston...so if you have any specific questions about good areas to live, let me know. Otherwise, good luck.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 10:12:50 AM »
I think most people would without a doubt choose BC over Tulane

msher3yn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:50:40 AM »
If you are looking to pursue a job in the Boston, NYC or even DC market on hte northeast, I would say go to BC. It is well-known in this area, and in general, I think it is more well-known nationwide than Tulane. Do you have any added incentives like scholarships at either school? If not, I would say go with BC. Even if you do decide to work in New Orleans, you can market yourself down there from the beginning and you'll still be able to get a job. Plus, you'll be in Boston, and that is a great city.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 12:58:10 PM »
BC, definitely.

As a side note--what type of law does Tulane teach?  The Louisiana system of law is really, really different (civil law rather than common law--a result of French influence), so I'm curious whether they teach primarily so the students can pass the Lousiana bar, or every other bar in the country?  That could be a major consideration for you.

Rx Man

• MSN Messenger - minkyukim@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 10:30:54 AM »
I would say BC.  Unless you want to live there.  BC has a widely known name recognition than Tulane. 
Hate my job, got to change careers!!