Law School Discussion

Lost dude needs help with school picks

fooseball22

Re: Lost dude needs help with school picks
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »
I also hear that law schools LOVE military service men and women...probably because they have traits that will almost guarantee their success in law school.  Don't think that you can overplay that to much, its a big deal and you should use it to your advantage in your PS.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »
Add 7 to 10 points and apply to the schools lsac predicts for that range, but apply to more schools than normal.  Its basic but true advice.

buslaw

• AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:46 PM »
Does anyone know if they also add about 7 to 10 points for other URM's as well?

ASNetlenov

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 06:55:35 AM »
The bronze star and urm status will make up significantly for the LSAT at the higher ranked schools. If you want to be in the DC area, you should look at Georgetown, GW, GMU, and UVa, which likes a high GPA. 7 to 10 points sounds about right for the bump.

MaroonOut2005

• Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 09:44:22 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=Essyta

...and this person doesn't have military experience.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 08:44:18 PM »
I was in the military and still am in the reserves. I was also an intel officer and then an infantry officer. Did you resign your commission? You can go to William & Mary, or UVA and the National Guard will pay for it. Plus, you can be a JAG officer while you are in law school, which seems like a pretty sweet gig, and you won't get deployed while you are JAG in law school.

Another question I have is where you did your undergrad. I think that makes a big difference in where you can get in.

Julee Fern

• be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 09:10:41 PM »
You've got great background, a great GPA, and even a pretty good LSAT.  Supposedly, there's URM's at Harvard with LSAT's in the high 150's.  Therefore, I also think you'll be able to get into a T14. 

I would apply to any school in the T-14 you'd be interested in attending, especially Michigan, UVa, and Boalt.  (I would also apply to HYS just in case, along with CCN and any other school you like in that group.  Obviously apply to Georgetown, as well as GWU.  I don't think you need to apply any lower than American for D.C., unless you want a full-ride.  (American may well provide that.)

Ultimately, I think you'll at least get into GW, and probably one or more of the T14's. 

Good luck!

bg

• Respect the LSAT!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - benjamingann
    • View Profile
    • BG's Blog 'O Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 10:42:17 PM »
I was in the military and still am in the reserves. I was also an intel officer and then an infantry officer. Did you resign your commission? You can go to William & Mary, or UVA and the National Guard will pay for it. Plus, you can be a JAG officer while you are in law school, which seems like a pretty sweet gig, and you won't get deployed while you are JAG in law school.

Another question I have is where you did your undergrad. I think that makes a big difference in where you can get in.

I've never heard of a National Guard JAG officer ever being deployed.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 07:16:17 AM »
Go to Howard. You'll be a shoo-in and you'll have opportunities comparable to many top-14 law schools. Oh, and you'll probably be able to get scholarship moneyt as well. It's a sweet deal.

GO_PTO

• my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 10:06:22 AM »
Go to Howard. You'll be a shoo-in and you'll have opportunities comparable to many top-14 law schools. Oh, and you'll probably be able to get scholarship moneyt as well. It's a sweet deal.

howard??!?!?