Law School Discussion

-

Re: Just got first fee waiver...
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 09:08:29 AM »
I just got one from Regent University, but not from Lewis and Clark.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 09:14:27 AM »
Not sure where you received that information.  You must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university to go to UT Law.  The ABA requirement is only 3/4 of the work required for a degree, so it is possible others would not require it.

And it would be extremely unlikely that any top law school had an issue filling seats this year.  In fact, a few have sent requests for admitted students to defer for a year, which is unusual.

It's not a top law school, it's Lewis and Clark... and I got the same thing even though I'm still in undergrad, as did several other people.....

limonjello

• Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 09:43:01 AM »
Not sure where you received that information.  You must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university to go to UT Law.  The ABA requirement is only 3/4 of the work required for a degree, so it is possible others would not require it.

And it would be extremely unlikely that any top law school had an issue filling seats this year.  In fact, a few have sent requests for admitted students to defer for a year, which is unusual.

It's not a top law school, it's Lewis and Clark... and I got the same thing even though I'm still in undergrad, as did several other people.....

Fair point on L&C, but I have to think the e-mail is a typo as they closed their admissions process on March 15.  Did they mean the January 2006 admission?

Intuition

• We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »
It's fun now, but just wait 'til they start clogging your snail mail box... especially when you're waiting for an acceptance from your dream school.  You'll be screaming, DAMN YOU AVE MARIA! at the top of your lungs.   >:(

Don't let Lane see this post.  :D

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

Fair point on L&C, but I have to think the e-mail is a typo as they closed their admissions process on March 15. Did they mean the January 2006 admission?

No, it clearly said Fall 2005 admission... yes, it is kind of weird... I guess they sent it out to people who got good scores on their LSAT, hoping that even if a few of them decide to apply for Fall 2005 admission, it could push up their 25-75 LSAT figures or something... they probably had yield issues as well.....

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »
I didn't get the one from Lewis and Clark but I did get a letter from Ave Maria yesterday telling me that if I apply for Fall 2005 by July 21st, based on my number I have a good chance at a full scholarship and they would waive my application fee.....

Unfortunately Ave Maria's not one of my choices - did anyone else get this letter?

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 10:11:54 AM »
I didn't get the one from Lewis and Clark but I did get a letter from Ave Maria yesterday telling me that if I apply for Fall 2005 by July 21st, based on my number I have a good chance at a full scholarship and they would waive my application fee.....

Unfortunately Ave Maria's not one of my choices - did anyone else get this letter?

I got this letter and it said the exact same thing. I was only tempted by the fact that I wouldn't have to take a year off and I could go straight to law school....

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 01:02:43 PM »
Hofstra is still looking to fill 05 seats as well...

Looks like LSAC has opened the damn.

Where did you hear that?  I heard they are over enrolled and aren't even taking from wait list from more than 1 person.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:30 PM »
Where did you hear that?  I heard they are over enrolled and aren't even taking from wait list from more than 1 person.

I got the same (or a similar) email.  The header was about applying for fall 2005, and the application deadline given (at least for use of the fee waiver) was July 29th.

slangforchris

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »
Here's the text of the email:

Dear -- :

I invite you to explore opportunities at Hofstra University School of
Law!

Hofstra Law School is still accepting applications for fall 2005. 
Based on LSAC's Candidate Referral Service's academic information, I
believe that you are a likely candidate for one of our Merit Scholarships,
and I would like to encourage you to apply.

In an effort to alleviate the financial burden often attached to law
school applications, you may apply for free.  If you submit an
application prior to Friday, July 29, we will waive the $60 application fee. 
Simply enclose a copy of this e-mail with your application.  You may print
a paper Hofstra Law School application from the Law School Web site,
www.Hofstra.edu/law, to take advantage of this offer.  Additionally, a
brochure and application is on the way for you to review. 

In the meantime, I invite you to visit the Hofstra Law School Web site,
www.Hofstra.edu/law, and see what all the excitement is about.  Quick
Time Videos about Hofstra Law School can be found at
http://www.hofstra.edu/Academics/Law/law_videos.cfm.

Best wishes on your preparations to enter the legal profession.
Sincerely,
Deborah Martin
Assistant Dean for Enrollment