Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice on LSAT blunder and admission questions....  (Read 4234 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey everybody, im new here and need some advice or help on my law school situation. I have a 3.6 GPA from Seton Hall University, but my Lsat score was 152. I have great extraciriculars, president of Phi Alpha Delta pre law fraternity, chair on our pre-law club, staff writer for the paper, studied abroad, national sociaety of collegiate scholars and national deans list and all that stuff.... do you guys think my gpa and honors and awards will outweigh my lousy lsat score.... i am planning on applying to Seton Hall Law or Rutgers Law Newark... and as a safety maybe penn sate, syracuse or widener, but i really want either SHU or Rutgers...

what do you think my possibility of getting accepted is if i apply now. Should i take the lsat again in october (im graduating in the spring of 2006 so i have time) but im afraid i may do the same or based on pressure and stress possibly worse. Is a 152, 3.6 GPA and the aforementioned extracirriculars enough to gain admission? anyone with advice or an opinion please let me know, also of u have suggestions for alternative law schools or have been in the same situation please let me know. thanks guys and i really appreciate your responses and feedback!!

-Mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

ccorsi

Re: Need some advice on LSAT blunder and admission questions....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 05:33:10 PM »
Hey everybody, im new here and need some advice or help on my law school situation. I have a 3.6 GPA from Seton Hall University, but my Lsat score was 152. I have great extraciriculars, president of Phi Alpha Delta pre law fraternity, chair on our pre-law club, staff writer for the paper, studied abroad, national sociaety of collegiate scholars and national deans list and all that stuff.... do you guys think my gpa and honors and awards will outweigh my lousy lsat score.... i am planning on applying to Seton Hall Law or Rutgers Law Newark... and as a safety maybe penn sate, syracuse or widener, but i really want either SHU or Rutgers...

what do you think my possibility of getting accepted is if i apply now. Should i take the lsat again in october (im graduating in the spring of 2006 so i have time) but im afraid i may do the same or based on pressure and stress possibly worse. Is a 152, 3.6 GPA and the aforementioned extracirriculars enough to gain admission? anyone with advice or an opinion please let me know, also of u have suggestions for alternative law schools or have been in the same situation please let me know. thanks guys and i really appreciate your responses and feedback!!

-Mike

Mike - Assuming non-URM - you have practically no shot.  I was accepted to SHU & RU - Newark so I know a little bit about their numbers.

No factors - WE, awards, etc. outweigh an LSAT considerably lower than their range.  You need to study hard and retake in Oct.  The only thing that can mitigate a lower than 25% LSAT is URM status.

C2

Good luck on the Oct test!

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:11:30 PM »
Ditto.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 07:31:56 PM »
I have a similar situation. I have a 3.6 as well (maybe a little higher, depends on how the LSDAS recalculates my GPA), but my LSAT score is a 149 and I'm a URM. I'm also planning on applying to Rutgers Newark, Penn State, and Temple. I know Temple and Rutgers Newark have special admissions programs where they place less emphasis on LSAT if you meet certain criteria. I come from a very disadvantaged background and fall under some of their other categories for this special consideration. I'm worried that my LSAT might still be too low. Am I being unrealistic with these schools?

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 08:47:13 AM »
Check out Temple's space program. I am not sure if your GPA makes you eligible, but it is certainly worth looking into. Someone on LSN, who is asian and has a PhD, applied to UC Hastings through their special admissions program and he was admitted, even though his LSAT score was ony 147. With your URM status and a well written personal statement, you will probably be a good candidate for schools with special admissions programs. Best of luck!

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 08:51:47 AM »
How can you find out which schools have special admissions programs?

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:06:01 AM »
I know that Hastings and Temple have them. Research is the only way to find out. Do you know where you want to practice?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 03:45:17 PM »
I want to practice in the DC area. I want to be a Prosecutor.

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 08:31:44 PM »
Along with Temple and Hastings, Rutgers Newark also has a place on your application where you can select how you want your application to be evaluated. The first option is based on numbers, and the other is based on your accomplishments/background and other similar stuff.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 07:02:56 AM »
thanks for the advice and no im not a urm... a few more questions though... what are my possibilities at Rutgers Camden, i was looking through some of the numbers and it seems i might have a shot there... i wanna take the lsats again in Oct but im extremely pessimistic about it... i took the june lsat with a whole kaplan course behind me, where i was scoring 153-156s on the practice tests, and then got hit blindsided with this score. I studied my ass off too. Im afraid if i take the lsat again, god forbid i do worse or the same, then it just solidifies my poor score and makes it that much more pungeant... if you know what i mean... so im confused. Ive been in contact with a friend of mine who is a law professor at SHU law and said he doesnt think i will have a problem getting into somewhere in there area with my gpa, but listening to this board it seems i may indeed have a problem...
so if shu and rutgers law is outta the question... what about rutgers camden? how about other schools such as pennstate, syracuse, new york law, fordham, widener, etc... i really had my heart set on sumtin in NJ or NY however...

what do u guys think about all this?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!