Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice on LSAT blunder and admission questions....  (Read 4152 times)

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice on LSAT blunder and admission questions....
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 07:53:15 AM »
I think you'd definitely get in at Widener (but I'm not sure how well that degree would carry over to DC). As far as Penn State and Syracuse, I think your numbers would be competitive there. I don't really know anything about New York Law, but I think Fordham might be out of the question. =/

dunson

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 08:00:46 AM »
http://chiashu.com/lsat.html

caveats: these numbers are from 2003, so its gotten more difficult; they are only estimations to gauge whether you think you should, with certain numbers, even apply

i took the liberty of adding a few new york schools and quinnipiac

fordham 1%
newark  12%
camden  13%
shu     25%
psu     36%
cuny    44%
hofstra 46%
nyls    58%
syracuse58%
pace    68%
quin    89%
touro   90%
widener 96%
albany  97%

there are many schools in other regions where you have a strong shot, be flexible  ;)

Faure

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
I would also look into part-time programs. I think you have a chance at Rutgers-Camden part-time.

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 01:54:18 PM »
Here is some advice---don't take much of what the statwhores and schoolrank-obsessed naysayers tell you on this board.

read my post over in "studying for the LSAT" portion on this board.

then do some soul searching. Taking the LSAT again is NOT worth it unless you are going to develop a new strategic system and you know for a fact you are learning more and WILL do better. Besides the OCT lsat, while the ideal time, may not give you enough time to prepare. December may be better--however it will push your application completion date back.

do not be ashamed of a low LSAT score, remember half the country doesn't even make that.

Lastly apply to every school in your area that has scores similar to yours or slightly higher. Write a good application essay and you will get in somewhere. Also realize you can transfer law schools after your first year provided you do well and think of it like this---if you do get in a school that isn't regarded as "prestigious" or whatever the folks on these boards call it, you have an even better chance to do better than your classmates and rank higher. What I mean is if you are a smart guy and you know you are, you have a good GPA, you stand a better chance smoking the people in your law school and having a great shot at transferring somewhere "higher-up".

I'd go for getting in somewhere now. visit the schools and evaluate them on what they truely are and put the hype aside.

thanks for the advice and no im not a urm... a few more questions though... what are my possibilities at Rutgers Camden, i was looking through some of the numbers and it seems i might have a shot there... i wanna take the lsats again in Oct but im extremely pessimistic about it... i took the june lsat with a whole kaplan course behind me, where i was scoring 153-156s on the practice tests, and then got hit blindsided with this score. I studied my ass off too. Im afraid if i take the lsat again, god forbid i do worse or the same, then it just solidifies my poor score and makes it that much more pungeant... if you know what i mean... so im confused. Ive been in contact with a friend of mine who is a law professor at SHU law and said he doesnt think i will have a problem getting into somewhere in there area with my gpa, but listening to this board it seems i may indeed have a problem...
so if shu and rutgers law is outta the question... what about rutgers camden? how about other schools such as pennstate, syracuse, new york law, fordham, widener, etc... i really had my heart set on sumtin in NJ or NY however...

what do u guys think about all this?

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 06:56:34 AM »
Here is some advice---don't take much of what the statwhores and schoolrank-obsessed naysayers tell you on this board.

read my post over in "studying for the LSAT" portion on this board.

then do some soul searching. Taking the LSAT again is NOT worth it unless you are going to develop a new strategic system and you know for a fact you are learning more and WILL do better. Besides the OCT lsat, while the ideal time, may not give you enough time to prepare. December may be better--however it will push your application completion date back.

do not be ashamed of a low LSAT score, remember half the country doesn't even make that.

Lastly apply to every school in your area that has scores similar to yours or slightly higher. Write a good application essay and you will get in somewhere. Also realize you can transfer law schools after your first year provided you do well and think of it like this---if you do get in a school that isn't regarded as "prestigious" or whatever the folks on these boards call it, you have an even better chance to do better than your classmates and rank higher. What I mean is if you are a smart guy and you know you are, you have a good GPA, you stand a better chance smoking the people in your law school and having a great shot at transferring somewhere "higher-up".

I'd go for getting in somewhere now. visit the schools and evaluate them on what they truely are and put the hype aside.

thanks a lot that helps and finally eased a lil bit of tension from this whole fiasco... im just so confused though... like i really dont wanna take the lsat again, heaven forbid i get a lower score or the same... but then again, i dont wanna be denied admission to all the schools i wanna go to... so im in such a catch 22... should i just be optimsitic and try for october and like a 156-157 which is wht i predict i would get... that would average my score to about a 154-155 which still isnt that good, but falls in range of SHU and rutgers... i know i could probably get into a lower ranked shcool, but i know i probably wouldnt end up transfering and i really want to go the best school i could get into... wat should i do?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!