Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where Can I get in  (Read 1466 times)

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where Can I get in
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 01:58:23 AM »
Those 2 should hook up. 1 a guy, 1 a girl. Both attending Northwestern in the Fall. Both 2.8 GPAs & both 170+ LSATS (both after their 2nd try). One a computer science major & the other a self-proclaimed computer geek. Sounds too good to be true! Gotta love LSD romances
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

elemnopee

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 03:03:39 AM »
Support your country and join the army.

Mkay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 09:05:27 AM »
Hey Cannotdecide!  Don't turn my post into someone matchmaking site! :)

Join the army?!  Can't tell if that is a joke or someone being serious.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:44 PM »
Hey my ears were burning :) Or should I say my eyes! Yes, I remember hearing in the beginning of the cycle that though Northwestern takes higher LSAT, they love GPA and I was wary of that.

Lucky for me they are looking for higher LSAT's near the end of this cycle. I didn't get in right away (waitlisted) but much persistence seemed to have helped. I applied to a bunch of schools and though I got a lot of criticism for doing so, it was all worth it because I got into NU.

Splits like us are hard to predict. Certain schools you are a shoe-in and some you get an auto-reject. And when it comes to waitlists, it is all about whether the school needs high gpa's (you're outta luck!) or high lsat's (tell them you'll definitely go if it's true!).

One piece of advice is maybe re-take the LSAT a third time since you are doing so high anyway, and there is an extremely low chance you'll get a 154 or lower again without knowing it (cancel if when you retake it you feel like you did horribly). Prove to the schools that the 154 was not a reflection of your ability whatsoever and also offer them a higher average for their statistics. A 162 average is tough for Northwestern even though they do look at higher LSAT.

One thing I learned from this cycle is that if you can afford it, blanket all the schools you are even remotely willing to go to even if they are a super reach. You never know who will bite. It may piss some people off because some think it is a waste of money, but it is SO much easier to get into a top school now rather than fighting off others to get into it later. Your LSAT (as unfair as it seems) is your advantage over others so use it for all its worth because it won't count very much later on.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 09:39:08 PM »
One thing I learned from this cycle is that if you can afford it, blanket all the schools you are even remotely willing to go to even if they are a super reach. You never know who will bite. It may piss some people off because some think it is a waste of money, but it is SO much easier to get into a top school now rather than fighting off others to get into it later. Your LSAT (as unfair as it seems) is your advantage over others so use it for all its worth because it won't count very much later on.
People aren't pissed at wasting money, people get pissed when someone applies to a ton of schools, including schools that by their own admission, they would never go to.  Like "I applied to every school in Boston, but I'm gonna reapply if I don't get into BU, BC, or Harvard."  Unfortunetly, law school advice is typically to apply first, and ask questions (i.e. figure out if you would go there) later.  If your situation was only schools you thought you might go to, then I don't see why someone would have a problem with it.  As long as you're withdrawing quickly when a school is out of the running.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 09:53:38 PM »
Consider Northwestern.  They only take the highest lsat and have a hard on for work experience.

Mkay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 02:20:06 AM »
You know what's crazy is that I was shooting for T50 schools.  Northwestern wasn't even a consideration! :D

I agree with tacojohn, I can't believe anyone would give you grief just for applying for as many schools as you can.  Better to waste some cash now than possibly wait another year to get into a school you want.

Hey Starresky, thanks for the input.  I also notice you did alot of addendums and letters of continued interest.  I bet your tenacity probably helped too.  Did you follow a certain format for them?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 09:34:07 AM »
You know what's crazy is that I was shooting for T50 schools.  Northwestern wasn't even a consideration! :D

I agree with tacojohn, I can't believe anyone would give you grief just for applying for as many schools as you can.  Better to waste some cash now than possibly wait another year to get into a school you want.

Hey Starresky, thanks for the input.  I also notice you did alot of addendums and letters of continued interest.  I bet your tenacity probably helped too.  Did you follow a certain format for them?
Well, there are limits.  You can find people on LSN who have applied to 50, 60, or 100 schools.  I think my biggest pet peeve is people who don't do their homework before applying.  You can visit campuses in the summer, talk to students and adcomms all the time, and most people don't do it.  Some just grab USNews, decide the best and worst school they would go to, then apply to everything in between.

fooseball22

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 09:52:05 AM »
Mkay, be aware that there are a number of top tier schools that will take a higher LSAT score over a lower one.  Your best bet is to call the admissions offices at the schools (I'm sure law school numbers probably has a database) you want to attend and find out if they will take the higher LSAT.  In your case though, i'd say the disparity between your scores is large enough that even if the school averages the two scores you can addendum it.

Also, i noticed someone mentioned a GPA addendum.  Only do one if it is a legitimate reason, like death or illness...or being kidnapped and put on a slave ship.  Everybody grows up during college, its not going to inspire an adcom who has read hundreds of other addendums stating such.  Besides, with your lsat, i wouldnt worry to much about the GPA.   

Mkay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 11:35:52 PM »
Hey fooseball,

You don't think I should at least do a passing mention of my low GPA?  I don't plan on begging for forgiveness or make excuses, just a explaination.