Law School Discussion

Do I have a shot at the top, specifically the T14

New Man

• Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
Do I have a shot at the top, specifically the T14
« on: July 03, 2005, 10:17:03 AM »
NIHO, wow, I just found this board and it is awesome. I want to go to a T14 school, no need to tell me that other schools are just as good, I know that, but for family reasons I would prefer a T14.

Stats
 GPA - 2.7 I know its awful
 LSATS - 177 and 178 I took it twice hoping to get a 180

I am Asian American, does this make me an urm? I went to a crap state school with a sociology major, pretty much screwed up by getting gf pregnant and working a shitload of hours to provide for new family.
 Do you think I have a shot at any T14? and if so which one's.
 Thanks

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a shot at the top, specifically the T14
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 10:24:15 AM »
My guess would be no to the T14.  They're pretty selective, and the 2.7 won't cut it.  However, with a good addendum, you could get $$$ at a T2 or T3.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Asian Americans are considered URM.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »
If you can write coherently, you should be able to sneak into a couple of the t-14

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 10:57:19 AM »
If you can write coherently, you should be able to sneak into a couple of the t-14

A 2.7 GPA from a state school majoring in sociology... it's a stretch, but hey, put a couple of reaches in there.  It can't hurt.  I reached.  It didn't work out, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.

jdw112

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »
I think that you could easily sneak into a few t14's. The LSAT is supposedly the best single predictor of first year performance, not GPA. Two scores in the high 170's should be enough to convince some programs that you have what it takes. Write about the pregnancy/work situation and your GPA in an addendum.

Many edits: Burgh got into some t14's with a similar GPA and a far worse LSAT combo. Not to say that he does not deserve his seats, because I think he does. This isn't to say that it is a given, because there could have been other factors in his case, it's just to say that it can be done.

NIHO, wow, I just found this board and it is awesome. I want to go to a T14 school, no need to tell me that other schools are just as good, I know that, but for family reasons I would prefer a T14.

Stats
 GPA - 2.7 I know its awful
 LSATS - 177 and 178 I took it twice hoping to get a 180

I am Asian American, does this make me an urm? I went to a crap state school with a sociology major, pretty much screwed up by getting gf pregnant and working a shitload of hours to provide for new family.
 Do you think I have a shot at any T14? and if so which one's.
 Thanks

twarga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:20:30 AM »
I know you don't want to hear the "other schools are just as good stuff" but with your GPA, you need to be realistic.  Back away from the idea that T14 is the be all end all and start looking in another direction, like what part of the country you want to practice in.  In certain regions, a strong local T2 will be looked on as favorably as a far away T14 by law firms.

GuysinRomearehot

• My favourite artist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 02:53:31 PM »
I think you have a great shot at all the top schools, look at your lsat, wow

GuysinRomearehot

• My favourite artist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 03:10:17 PM »
I heard that urms get a bit of a boost with gpa

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 03:15:43 PM »
I heard that urms get a bit of a boost with gpa

Yes, "a bit" is right.  From my observations, schools give URMs bigger LSAT boosts than GPA boosts.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:17:07 PM »
I have a 2.86 and 172, and I got into 2 top 14's and waitlisted at 2 others.  With your superior LSAT, you should be able to get into at least one T14, if not several.