Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lawyer Hours  (Read 1325 times)

mjb

Lawyer Hours
« on: July 03, 2005, 01:36:44 AM »
I've heard Lawyers work on average like 70-80 hours a week. I want to do ip law and was wondering if I could very easily find employment that will pay very well per hour but only require 35-40 hours a week?

ningirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lawyer Hours
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:51:14 AM »
I don't know about this, but I'm interested to read others' replies!
OSU Moritz

A.J.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 06:32:59 AM »
Generally lawyers, at least those working as associates, are required to bill a certain number of hours per year.  I bet the average is better than 2k per year.  Beyond that there are some pro bono hours as a matter of course.

"Salaried lawyers usually have structured work schedules. Lawyers who are in private practice may work irregular hours while conducting research, conferring with clients, or preparing briefs during nonoffice hours. Lawyers often work long hours, and of those who regularly work full time, about half work 50 hours or more per week"

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos053.htm

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:10:20 AM »
this is interesting.

how many hours do you expect you will be working?

im figuring 50+
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »
try infirmation.com

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:31:29 AM »
I've heard Lawyers work on average like 70-80 hours a week. I want to do ip law and was wondering if I could very easily find employment that will pay very well per hour but only require 35-40 hours a week?

It's wildly variable. The highest I've heard of is Wachtell, which averages something like 71 hours a week. I don't know if that's 71 billed hours or 71 hours total in the office.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
that would bite

jiggedyjared

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:49:28 AM »
cripes... this is exactly why I will be avoiding Big Law.  No amount of money is worth that.  It's unethical.

fmooy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »
The NALP website provides information on average hours worked and average billable hours worked by associates at thousands of different firms, government agencies, etc. Just do a search for employers in the state in which you want to work or search for firms that do OCIs at your school.

aryels

• "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 10:05:04 AM »
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."