Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston University, Shoot me some reviews/info  (Read 1676 times)

Re: Boston University, Shoot me some reviews/info
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 10:50:40 PM »
BC is easier to get into if you have a high GPA and low LSAT, while BU is easier to get into if your LSAT is better than your GPA.  To say that if you get into one, you will get into the other is wrong.  Someone with a 3.2 170 will be a near lock at BU and 50/50 or worse at BC.

my nickels worth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
BC is easier to get into if you have a high GPA and low LSAT, while BU is easier to get into if your LSAT is better than your GPA.  To say that if you get into one, you will get into the other is wrong.  Someone with a 3.2 170 will be a near lock at BU and 50/50 or worse at BC.

credited.

I also venture to say that BC, given its background, is more conservative in the types of people they admit. I think they look down upon any criminal or negative academic history, radical backgrounds, etc. more so than BU.
BU--almost through One-hell

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:58:32 AM »

I gotta say that my personal experience doesn't indicate that to be true. My GPA is a better selling point than my LSAT (especially with my GPAs marginal improvement). However, I got my waitlist letter from BU & BC on the exact same day (which is odd since they were 2 of the last 3 schools that i heard from). But I made it off the BU waitlist & didn't even make BC's priority waitlist.

A lot of admissions really does seem to be a crapshoot. I see people with better #s than me getting rejected from schools that I got in to. At the same time, I see worse #s getting accepted to schools that flat out rejected me. Yeh, there are plenty of general rules to the process. A 155, 3.2 won't ever be considered at BU or BC. However, a lot of the process is just catching someone's eye. An admissions director may just happen to relate to your personal statement. You may have been in the same frat as them. Hell, they may have just won $50 on a scratchoff lotto ticket that morning & be in an amazing mood when they pick up your application. Where there aren't clear cut examples of always prizing GPA over LSAT (like with Boalt), it's hard to say which school in your target range will take you.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

Carpe JDiem

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 11:36:37 AM »
One thing about BU admissions:  Apply early.  BU's office of admissions is horribly unorganized.  They lose stuff, they take forever to get back to you, and they hardly look at apps they receive after January 15th or so.  I have a friend that applied in Feb with 166 and a 3.6 from a top undergrad and didn't get in, and another that is going there with a 164/3.6 (non-URM)from a SEC school, applied in November.  Weird stuff.

Oh, and their website is crappy and they are unhelpful over the phone. 

I got in and decided against it.  I figured that if the admissions office was representative of the schools administration, it was going to be terrible.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 12:03:25 PM »
I, on the other hand, have had nothing but excellent treatment from their admissions and financial aid offices.  Over the phone, they have been helpful and courteous.  They haven't lost anything of mine (although they did initially have a problem locating my tax returns, because I hand-delivered them, but when I reminded them of that it was taken care of straight away; it was an understandable error: if virtually everything comes in via post, something that comes in via another way is likely to get lost in the shuffle.  Blockbuster always misplaces tapes that you return at the counter, but never do that for tapes dropped in the drop-off slot.  Why?  Because they're used to taking them through the drop-off slot).  The admissions office is rather slow, however.  And FYI: if you apply anywhere in February, it's rather unlikely that you will get in anywhere if you numbers are merely typical of the enterring class; by that time, the (perhaps vast) majority of the seats are already gone.  In February, you should be completing all your financial aid applications; BU's financial aid deadline is March 1, and they expect you to have FAFSA, the institutional form (which comes witht the admissions application), and the CSS PROFILE (from www.collegeboard.com) done, or at least submitted, before then.

The building isn't the prettiest in the world (and no one there even tries to argue anything different), but I'm used to going to school in ugly buildings, at a big State U, so it doesn't bother me.  I'm going to be studying law, not the building.  The building does have everything you need, though: outlets at every seat, good climate control, wireless internet throughout, fast elevators (though there are only four of those; my advice is to take the stairs if you don't think it'll kill you), adequate bathrooms (i.e., clean, working, enough for the school's population), and geat views of the Charles River.  When I visited, all the students (even those who weren't officially designated welcomers) were very friendly and helpful, and happy to answer all my questions about the school and about living in Beantown in general.  In the class I was invited to sit in on (a Property course done in lecture rather than Socratic format), the students all interacted with each other, talking cheerfully, talking about things other than the course; everybody seemed quite friencly and happy (and I doubt anybody knew that they were being observed by visitors; our presence wasn't announced to the class or anything).

In sum, I was impressed with the atmosphere and the climate at BU.  It's a great school and seems like a great place to learn, with really good career prospects if you do well.  Yes, it has some drawbacks, but I think every school does, and in this case (at least for me) they are outweighed by the benefits).
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile