Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are some safeties for me? 158/3.63  (Read 935 times)

Tulane33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are some safeties for me? 158/3.63
« on: July 01, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »
158/3.63, non urm, In state in Florida.  Attending Tulane U. in Finance.  What are some safeties for me?  I would like to study corporate/international law.  I'm willing to work anywhere pretty much although preference would be mountain states, the south, DC, or abroad.  Also what stats should I be looking for in safeties?  Thanks

ccorsi

Re: What are some safeties for me? 158/3.63
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
158/3.63, non urm, In state in Florida.  Attending Tulane U. in Finance.  What are some safeties for me?  I would like to study corporate/international law.  I'm willing to work anywhere pretty much although preference would be mountain states, the south, DC, or abroad.  Also what stats should I be looking for in safeties?  Thanks

A Safety would be a school where your GPA/LSAT are at or above the 75 range of the 25/75 split.

C2

Abevigoda

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »
In DC, you probably have a good shot a Catholic or Howard.  
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=abevigoda

Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »
Based on my experience, you might want to redefine safety.  Given your situation, I'd definitely consider aiming at a few schools where you know you'll get a full ride.  Right now it might not interest you, but this time next year you might wish that you had that option.

I'm fairly certain that schools like Valpo and Dayton would give you a lot of money.  Think about it -- A free legal education just because you did well on a test one Saturday morning.  Can't beat that!

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 04:58:23 PM »
Toledo would probably give you a full ride.

Tulane33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 11:08:18 AM »
Does the 75 rule apply to schools that I would be out of state for?

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 11:13:27 AM »

I assume you mean a state school and you are applying as an out of state resident?

If so, generally yes it would still apply except for a few schools which mandate that a large % of 1Ls must be state residents (quotas so to speak).

For instance, I think NC must take 75% of its class from in-state.  Quotas like that make it tough to be considered a safety for out of staters.

C2

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 12:09:26 PM »

Depends on the state.  Believe it or not, but only 56% of the incoming 2004 class for The Ohio State University are Ohio residents.  42% are non-residents, and 2% are international students.

LegalLassie

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 02:12:44 PM »

A Safety would be a school where your GPA/LSAT are at or above the 75 range of the 25/75 split.

C2

Hey Ccorsi,  just curious on your opinion.  I am hearing that people are starting to be rejected even from schools they thought were their safeties.  For the upcoming cycle, would you think that schools where your numbers are in their 75th percentile might be targets instead of safeties now?  And maybe the safeties would be a school where you are WAY over their 75th percentile?  I have been wondering about this lately.  (been having nightmares about being rejected from all of my target schools and not having applied to enough safeties)

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 02:34:59 PM »

C2

Hey Ccorsi,  just curious on your opinion.  I am hearing that people are starting to be rejected even from schools they thought were their safeties.  For the upcoming cycle, would you think that schools where your numbers are in their 75th percentile might be targets instead of safeties now?  And maybe the safeties would be a school where you are WAY over their 75th percentile?  I have been wondering about this lately.  (been having nightmares about being rejected from all of my target schools and not having applied to enough safeties)

This is for C2, but I'll chime in.  Yes, I think that's smart.  Also, I suspect that next year will be a slightly easier year for admissions.  As the economy improves, there should be fewer applicants.  It sounds like there was a pretty good drop-off in the number of test-takers for the June LSAT.  That's one datapoint that backs up my thinking.