Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many of you took a DEC Lsat and still got accepted for the Fall semester?  (Read 1342 times)

ScaredyCat

• View Profile
Hello... Any of you taken the December exam and still got accepted for the following fall semester?  I don't think I'm ready for the October exam so I was wondering if by taking the December exam would decrease my chances in the apps process.  Thanks!  And oh, congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

ccorsi

Hello... Any of you taken the December exam and still got accepted for the following fall semester?  I don't think I'm ready for the October exam so I was wondering if by taking the December exam would decrease my chances in the apps process.  Thanks!  And oh, congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

Dude,

I ONLY took the Feb LSAT and was accepted all 5 places I applied.

The DEC will be fine.  Just have your apps ready to go when you get your score so you can apply in Jan.

C2

EDIT:  Obviously though - if you bomb the DEC test you put yourself in a tougher position than if you bombed the Oct and still could take Dec.

Nadege

• View Profile
I was in the same situation you are in...I prepared for the October LSAT, but as the test date neared, I felt like I wasn't ready.  I stopped studying for about 2 weeks and then started preparing for the December exam.  My score actually went up during that time. I also got accepted into all but one of the 5 schools that I applied to. If you are feeling a little nervous about having your apps ready on time, start working on them before you take the LSAT. Then you can put the finishing touches and/or make changes when you get your score. The scores for Dec 2004 came out in the first week or so in Jan so you should have plenty of time
Ain't no feelin' like feelin' free
When your mind's made up and your heart's in the right place...

ScaredyCat

• View Profile
Thanks guys for taking the time to share your experiences.  I feel better about taking it in December now.   :)

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email

I think my late apps decreased my chances.  I'd say send in your app as soon as possible, so that the last thing the schools need is your LSAT.

The scores came out before christmas I think.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Using the December exam for admission the following fall is quite common.  I suspect almost everyone who takes the December exam applies immediately.  I sent all of my applications in before or shortly after taking the December exam, but I attached notes explaining why I had retested and asking them to hold off on a final decision until they received my new score.  You can judge for yourself from my results how this may or may not have affected me. I'm really not sure myself.  All I know is now when I talk to people who are just contemplating law school, the first piece of advice I give them is: Get all of your applications in by the Early Decision deadline, and do NOT get stuck retesting in December!

ormachea

I posted this somewhere else, too, but:

I do think applying early gives you a small  advantage. But, it's nowhere near as much as people claim here on the board.

These are people who have normally spent years looking at apps, and whether they've seen 1000 over the last month or not, they've gotten to the point where what they've seen before doesn't really matter. They already know what they want to accept.

Now a new professor on the adcomm will probably be swayed a bit more since they haven't had the years of experience. And also, applying early could give you a little boost as a go-get-er who doesn't procrastinate.

I applied the day before the deadline to everywhere but Yale and UT. And Yale was my only rejection. I think I can say that the process was kind to me as my numbers also aren't exactly stellar (though I do have some nice resume experiences).

texas1

Thanks guys for taking the time to share your experiences.  I feel better about taking it in December now.   :)

I would highly recommend the Oct Lsat - I took the Dec, had a solid score (164) and was still waitlisted even at my safeties, as many of the slots had already been filled. Other's with my numbers had been offered $, I was lucky to get in.

I don't know what your schedule is like, but you really should be ready for Oct...and I would encourage you to make every effort to make that happen...

plutoeyore

• Sr. Citizen
  • My four babies and my reason for everything!
    • View Profile
I took the Feb LSAT and was accepted... though I think that the late lsat hurt my scholarship grants a little... I would think with a Dec lsat you'll be fine:)
Stats:  Berkeley GPA 3.53(3.54), LSAT 156
Attending:  Golden Gate(p/t)
Ding: Santa Clara University

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I took Dec and was accepted. I sent my app sometime in early January, I think.

You're probably going to be better off taking October and applying by November/December, but taking the Dec LSAT shouldn't really hurt you any (with the exception that you may have to wait longer to get a decision).

Besides, it's only July. There is really no reason you can't be ready to take the test by October.