Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 149, URM.... chances??  (Read 2174 times)

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 149, URM.... chances??
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »

I understand URM bonus points and yes, Ill be attending this fall.  Thank you very much.

149+URM still = not a good chance

URM shouldnt ultimately factor in in any significant way when stacked against his LSAT score.  Its pretty clear from the way this was setup that URM is supposed to compensate for something.  I dont think its enough.     

He didn't create the system. Just because he acknowledges it doesn't mean he's justifying it.

While 149 won't get him into Harvard, I'd be really shocked if it didn't get him into a lower tier 2. I just looked at UConn on LSN and there's a girl with a 146 attending.

A.J.

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 02:13:19 PM »
vix, outliers

149, URM...chances??

I say, not good.  And I havent stated ANY opinions, whatever, about affirmative action, period!

I said, for the last time, that 149 + URM is probably not sufficient. 

OP, you want a good shot at T2?  Retake.  Do not expect your URM status to recover for that LSAT score.  That would be like treating the admission process like a lottery.

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nascjacket
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »

And I havent stated ANY opinions, whatever, about affirmative action, period!

"URM shouldnt ultimately factor in in any significant way when stacked against his LSAT score."

This isn't an opinion?

wrmusgro

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »

I understand URM bonus points and yes, Ill be attending this fall.  Thank you very much.

149+URM still = not a good chance

URM shouldnt ultimately factor in in any significant way when stacked against his LSAT score.  Its pretty clear from the way this was setup that URM is supposed to compensate for something.  I dont think its enough.     

He didn't create the system. Just because he acknowledges it doesn't mean he's justifying it.

While 149 won't get him into Harvard, I'd be really shocked if it didn't get him into a lower tier 2. I just looks at UConn on LSN and there's a girl with a 146 attending.

Yeah you're all high if you don't think this guy will get into some tier 2's and possibly tier one's with this GPA from Stanford and his URM status. He will also likely get some money. My advice to the original poster, don't bother taking the LSAT over, concentrate on your personal statement, and apply ED or EA wherever you can. You should get a lot of acceptances. If you really want to go to a T14 school though, you'll need to retake the LSAT, but since you're wanting to go into the public sector, you should be fine by attending a tier 2 school. Just my 2 cents.....

A.J.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 02:21:11 PM »

And I havent stated ANY opinions, whatever, about affirmative action, period!

"URM shouldnt ultimately factor in in any significant way when stacked against his LSAT score."

This isn't an opionion?

...when stacked against his LSAT score.  In other words, his LSAT score is, in my opinion, too weak to begin with.

So its clearly an opinion about his situation.  I am absolutely dumbfounded at how you could construe that to mean I am taking a stance on AA.

holy crap

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 02:21:18 PM »
vix, outliers

149, URM...chances??

I say, not good.  And I havent stated ANY opinions, whatever, about affirmative action, period!

I said, for the last time, that 149 + URM is probably not sufficient. 

OP, you want a good shot at T2?  Retake.  Do not expect your URM status to recover for that LSAT score.  That would be like treating the admission process like a lottery.

And they're all URMs.

Besides, it doesn't look like this girl's profile is some sort of anti-AA statement: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=juliana8402
There's a million other URM profiles like her's(ie, http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=tmk). Heck, search this site and you'll find more than a few URM with below average numbers.

A.J.

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »
outliers is a statistical term for data points that fall outside the normal, expected range

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2005, 02:30:50 PM »
...when stacked against his LSAT score.  In other words, his LSAT score is, in my opinion, too weak to begin with.

So its clearly an opinion about his situation.  I am absolutely dumbfounded at how you could construe that to mean I am taking a stance on AA.

so you think AA should (or does?) only work for certain LSAT scores?  I'm really confused by this argument.  

Should is normally taken to mean what, morally speaking, ought to happen and therefore it is NOT unreasonable that I took your statment that his URM status SHOULDN'T factor in against his LSAT score as saying that you believe it is wrong for that to be the case.

If you meant "shouldn't" as in it probably won't help him, then either, like another poster said, you are high or delusional.

A.J.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »
wow, you are really stretching now

Youre going to be knee deep in your own imaginary discussions in LS.

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »
wow, you are really stretching now

Youre going to be knee deep in your own imaginary discussions in LS.

My point is that you were either stating an opinion on AA (which is what I originally took "shouldn't" to mean) or that you are saying that his URM probably won't be a major factor in his apps considering his LSAT score.

If it's the former, then I showed you stated an opinion on AA, if its the latter then you're clearly incorrect.