Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 149, URM.... chances??  (Read 2276 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: 149, URM.... chances??
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 01:41:05 PM »
I cant speak for your chances however I can say that public sector work (esp DA) is just as competitive as BIGLAW.  Its very difficult to get a DA job from tier 3 when people from NYU/Columbia would love those as well...
HLS '09

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nascjacket
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 01:43:09 PM »
ok so why not just list for us your employment history?

don't be a male private part.  It's obvious that URM status helps and evaluating his chances withot this info would be pointless.

This guy wasn't on the SCOTUS when AA was upheld, don't act like he's the reason AA is here.

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 01:44:13 PM »
Stanford gives him a leg up for sure but the URM thing has nothing to do with what area of law one wants to practice in.  Minority status is irrelavent at that point. 

Sounds more like he wants URM status to help his app out.

I take it you haven't applied yet.

Being an URM gives you a major leg up at many schools. Since URMs make up a small percentage of the number of people applying, schools are more likely to forgive a weaker than average LSAT and/or GPA for diversity's sake.

A.J.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 01:44:46 PM »
don't be a male private part.  It's obvious that URM status helps and evaluating his chances withot this info would be pointless.

This guy wasn't on the SCOTUS when AA was upheld, don't act like he's the reason AA is here.

Guess what, employment history effects the process as well so by your logic we cant evaluate his chances without that info either.  Especially given the low LSAT.

HTH

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 01:47:31 PM »
I cant speak for your chances however I can say that public sector work (esp DA) is just as competitive as BIGLAW.  Its very difficult to get a DA job from tier 3 when people from NYU/Columbia would love those as well...

cool, i never really understood how the public sector worked but thanks for clearing it up.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

A.J.

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 01:49:58 PM »
I take it you haven't applied yet.

Being an URM gives you a major leg up at many schools. Since URMs make up a small percentage of the number of people applying, schools are more likely to forgive a weaker than average LSAT and/or GPA for diversity's sake.

I understand URM bonus points and yes, Ill be attending this fall.  Thank you very much.

149+URM still = not a good chance

URM shouldnt ultimately factor in in any significant way when stacked against his LSAT score.  Its pretty clear from the way this was setup that URM is supposed to compensate for something.  I dont think its enough.     

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 01:51:52 PM »

Guess what, employment history effects the process as well so by your logic we cant evaluate his chances without that info either.  Especially given the low LSAT.

HTH

If you think employment history helps 1% as much as being a URM does, then, well, have fun at Cooley.

Again, I'm not saying its right, but it is the way it is.  URM status is nearly as important as GPA and its a lot easier to type URM (and a lot less likely to divulge too much personal info) than it is to post your resume.  You aren't this stupid, I know you aren't, so quit acting like you are.

It's attitudes like this that keep getting AA upheld.  As long as you keep attacking people who have no role whatsoever in whether or not schools give AA, you are going to help sway people's opinions AGAINST you.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »
No you do not need a T14 degree to work for the DA's office, but I agree it is competitive. A Tier 1 degree would help here. Go to the best school you can get into.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

A.J.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 01:56:49 PM »

HTH

If you think employment history helps 1% as much as being a URM does, then, well, have fun at Cooley.

Again, I'm not saying its right, but it is the way it is.  URM status is nearly as important as GPA and its a lot easier to type URM (and a lot less likely to divulge too much personal info) than it is to post your resume.  You aren't this stupid, I know you aren't, so quit acting like you are.

It's attitudes like this that keep getting AA upheld.  As long as you keep attacking people who have no role whatsoever in whether or not schools give AA, you are going to help sway people's opinions AGAINST you.

First of all, I dont give a holy @#!* about AA.

Instead of having a reasoned response you went straight for insults.  You realize this only reveals your stupidity?  Youre not to stupid to realize that fact, are you?

Understand what I said before you respond.  Oh, and rather than gleaning a lot of anecdotal evidence on the URM factor from this site and xoxo, nasc, why dont you show me a regression or something that shows the weight non LSAT and non GPA factors have in the acceptance process?

All I said was 149 + URM is probably not sufficient.  Therefore, URM is not relavent to this question because it likely wont make up for a bad LSAT score.  Get a 155 or something and then maybe I say, ok it might help you at the T2 level.

HTFH

nascjacket

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
First of all, I dont give a holy @#!* about AA.

Instead of having a reasoned response you went straight for insults.  You realize this only reveals your stupidity?  Youre not to stupid to realize that fact, are you?

Understand what I said before you respond.  Oh, and rather than gleaning a lot of anecdotal evidence on the URM factor from this site and xoxo, nasc, why dont you show me a regression or something that shows the weight non LSAT and non GPA factors have in the acceptance process?

All I said was 149 + URM is probably not sufficient.  Therefore, URM is not relavent to this question because it likely wont make up for a bad LSAT score.  Get a 155 or something and then maybe I say, ok it might help you at the T2 level.

HTFH

First of all, you don't give a *&^% about AA?  You've stated your opinion on it three times in this thread.

Second of all, the guy mentioned being african american in a passing way in the op.  He didn't emphasize it anymore than any of the other relevant info and you accuse him of saying it should cover up his "poor performance".  The guy just asked about his chances and you give him the third degree on whether or not he thinks he deserves AA.  That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't give a flying @#!* about AA". 

Thirdly, there are plenty of regressions out there and if you want, you can read the SCOTUS Michigan AA case, its all laid out right there. 

All I'm attacking is that you attacked this guy for no reason and implied that employment history is as important as URM status.

I wasn't attacking your opinions on AA, personally I profoundly disagree with the way its practiced.  What I do disagree with is the way you jumped all over the OP when all he did was state that he was African American.  Then, from half of one sentence you accused him of "setting this up" to say that he deserves to go to some school because he's black, when any reasonable assessment would say he was just including the relevant info that could practically be included (and no, its not practical to include emplyment history on an anonymous message board).