Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 149, URM.... chances??  (Read 2181 times)

Daddylonglegs32

149, URM.... chances??
« on: July 01, 2005, 01:04:47 PM »
After several months of intensive preparation for the June LSAT (with Kaplan unfortunately), I scored a dismal 149.  I am pretty confident that I can bump that score into the mid 150s in Oct., however I feel that my time would be better spent focusing on my applications for the fall (honing my ps etc..).  I am an African American male with a gpa slightly above 3.4 from Stanford.  I'm really NOT interested in the big law nonsense, and my intentions of going to law school are not driven by money at all.  I really have my heart set on working for the public sector.  I have done several internships in the public sector and my personal statement effectively shows how my genuine interest in the public sector is rooted in my past experiences and upbringings.  With a 149 lsat score, do I have shot at a Tier 2 school--??  Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am much obliged

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 149, URM.... chances??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 01:06:54 PM »
Hello,
I am basically in the same sit. that you are in, I got a 151, but want to go into the public sector, hopefully DC area.
I hope people give us some advice ???

A.J.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 01:07:05 PM »
probably not, honestly.  study hard and retake.

why do you think being a URM should help you?  do you think it explains your poor performance or something?

just asking

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 01:07:54 PM »
I don't think URM means anything really, but I think he is asking about the factor that he wants to go into the public sector, you know?

A.J.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »
Stanford gives him a leg up for sure but the URM thing has nothing to do with what area of law one wants to practice in.  Minority status is irrelavent at that point. 

Sounds more like he wants URM status to help his app out.

Daddylonglegs32

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 01:10:40 PM »
probably not, honestly.  study hard and retake.

why do you think being a URM should help you?  do you think it explains your poor performance or something?

just asking

I never said being a URM "should help" me.  I was just providing as much information about myself as posssible....

A.J.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 01:12:09 PM »
ok so why not just list for us your employment history?

funny1x2

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 01:25:51 PM »
probably because with all of the talk on this board about the lsat being more important than anything else, and the knowledge that minorities do at times receive favorable consideration, it probably seemed to the OP that those two factors where most important in helping others ascertain his chances at a tier 2 school.

just my speculation...

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 01:28:05 PM »
Just from what I have observed on here and on LSN (anectdotal evidence, certainly) I would say that you are going to struggle to get into a Tier 2 with 149. Even most Tier 3 and 4's want a candidate in the 150s. I really think you should take the test again. I believe that only a few points can make a big difference.
Being a URM will make some difference, but it will probably not make a big difference with a low LSAT score.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 01:36:49 PM »
Well, if you want to work in the public sector there may not be anything wrong with going to a third or fourth tier school. Some possible options are:

Howard University (DC)
District of Columbia (DC)
Mercer University (GA)(tier 2)
California Western (CA)
Chapman University (CA)
University of the Pacific (tier 2) (They have dipped into the upper 140's a couple of times)
Syracuse Law School (NY) (tier 2) (according to the ABA approved law school book: they have accepted 30 out of 151 students that have an LSAT of 145-149 and a GPA of 3.25-3.49)
Ultimately, there is hope for you at the bottom of the tier 2 rankings and possibly at some middle tier 2 schools. I am not sure but to be a public prosecutor or defender you do not really need a jurist doctorate from NYU but perhaps one from Mercer will be enough. Hope this helps.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace