Law School Discussion

Planning a wedding before LS

Re: Planning a wedding before LS
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 09:20:29 AM »
I've been planning a big wedding for this summer. I stop work 15 days before school starts, we get married 10 days before school starts and I'll probably miss the first day of orientation because we don't get back from our honeymoon until the afternoon of orientation. 

It is not easy but its doable. My fiance will have to send out all the thank you cards.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »
First of all congratulations to all of you!

As to Cam, my sister lives in MD and is getting married in NY.  She's in the military and was recently deployed to FL.  The wedding is in Sept and she has been doing most of the planning from afar, with the help of me and her family in NY for the things that need to be seen in person to decide (ie, florist, dj because it's imporatant to her that the dj get everyone involved etc.) With us doing some of the legwork, it made it much easier for her to plan while away, and still feel comfortable.  If you ahve someone you trust in the area where the wedding will be, that can help tremendously.

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »
track- wow thats very good planning! what a wonderful way to start law school, fresh from your honeymoon! I'm sure you'll do very well your 1st semester! congrats! :)

Kdeevers - thanks for the insight,it seems overwhelming at times this whole ordeal, but i think you are right.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 12:42:16 PM »
Has anyone ever encountered this? Our wedding date is planned for the June/July 2006, but if i get off the waitlist, I may be going to law school half way across the country from where we're originally from. It doesnt seem like that big of deal to me, as long as we get all the large details, settled before/if we move. I figure the small things like decorations,DJ,Limo, and etc, could be handled these days via the web or by friends/family back home. Plus, schools end their semester by May, so we would still have a few months to come home prior to the actual wedding. I seem to think this could work, my finacee' doesn't seem to agree that i CAN be done. Anyone else encouter this or have any thoughts on this? Am I crazy for thinking its possible to plan wedding before heading off to law school thousand of miles from home? We're in MD the schools are in Houston.

Can it be done? Sure.
Will it be exactly what you want?
Is it advisable to have wedding related stresses during One L?
Is it advisable to have a wedding so close to exam study period?

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 05:55:16 PM »
Hubby and I eloped in FL 12 years ago with no regrets.  We spent $85 on the Justice of the Peace and about $500 for 3 days in a beach front condo.  We took tons of pictures, but I do regret that we didn't have a professional photo of us on the beach in our wedding clothes (simple dress and suit).  That would have been nice.  We each have 4 siblings, and our families were thankful to not have to spring for yet another wedding (most of our sibs got married around the same time we did).

We're looking for a new house, and one of the features we'd like is a big backyard for our girls to have their weddings in.  We decided we'll spring for the decorations, tents, dance floor (all in the big backyard) and booze.  Hey, what are parents for?

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 06:39:45 PM »
I just got engaged, and my fiance and I immediately decided that we absolutely would not want to plan a wedding during 1L.

Can you?  Probably.
Would you want to?  I don't really know why...

When I told friends who were in law school (some had just finished their first year) that we got engaged, they looked at me and said, "You're not considering planning a wedding during 1L, are you??" and looked horrified.

Don't assume friends and family will help you.  Many say they will, but when it comes time to actually get stuff done, they bail.  Also, you have to consider how much of your wedding you actually want to have control over.  Are you really ok with having other people choose your DJ or your flowers, or you decorations?  Are you going to be able to even think about sending Save the Dates after first semester of exams?  Will you be able to get your invitations out on time?  Are you 200% sure that if people say they'll help with this, that they will?

Wedding planning is stressful enough for people with normal jobs.  1L is not a normal year.  It can be done, but I don't think it will be easy.  Either your planning or your school work may suffer.  But regardless, congratulations!  Making the decision to plan during 1L or to wait until later is hard either way.  I often wish I could start planning sooner.  Best of luck to you, and may I suggest getting a wedding coordinator if you find yourself getting stressed??

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2005, 10:08:44 PM »
Don't do it.  I called off a wedding, I think, in part because of all the d*mn stress involved with planning a big wedding.  I couldn't imagine going through a wedding during 1L.  Are you insane!?!?!   ???

vivaxixon

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 10:28:31 AM »
I'm happy to see this topic. Congratulations to all!

I'm getting married on a Friday this October and had it planned prior to getting into school. Is it going to be a crazy week? Absolutely. But we're having a small wedding up on the coast and letting all the insignificant issues (favors, matching bridesmaid dresses, etc...) slide. The point for us is that we'll be married and we get to have our close friends and family near by - anything else as far as wedding-y stuff goes is gravy for us. I have no doubt it's doable if you're expectations are reasonable.

Can you reasonably plan an enormous wedding? Maybe, but even this low-key wedding planning that we're doing is not so fun most of the time. That all said, if you're laid back, less concerned about the "perfect" wedding, and have a great support system - it will all get done.

Again, congratulations!

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 10:42:22 AM »
All the little things that add up are why my Fiance and I have decided to do a destination wedding somewhere in Mexico or the Carribean in May 2007, just after 2L.  All inclusive resorts usually offer some sort of free wedding package, and they take care of so much of the planning for you.  I also figure 2L is a better time than 1L for dealing with invitations and all that jazz.

Congrats on your October wedding!  It'll be a nice break before exams get crazy in Nov/Dec.  And being in Oct, you'll likely have most or all of the big stuff done before school even starts!

cam108

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 09:57:28 PM »
whoa! I didnt expect so many reponses to this thread! Its good to see so many of you are going through the same thing. I am by no means planing a big wedding, theres no money for that & law school. I am hoping to take care of the larger issues before schools starts and will leave the little things to my closest family members. I do like the idea of the destinate wedding that sounds really exotic and fun!

Jacy85-Are you inviting a large number of people or is it going to be a small affair? You're not obligated to pay for people's travel expenses are you? Or are they responsible for getting their on their own?  Hm, I'm really liking that idea! :)