Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should Republicans be drafted first?  (Read 11595 times)

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
Re: Should Republicans be drafted first?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »
Why don't you/they want to go?  It makes no sense if you are so scared of our freedoms being taken away, why are you/they not fighting?  Have Republicans written a check their a$$ can't cash?

Army won't take me because I have a 4 inch steel plate in my leg.
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 03:57:11 PM »
I didnt know that wanting to actally fight the war was a prerequisite for supporting it...

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 03:59:47 PM »
In general (and I'm not singling out people here, I should say) I think the liberal attitude toward servicemen and women is interesting...on the one hand, the look down their noses at them (hence the comment about poor people...and while foose probably didn't mean it the way I read it, it is common liberal thinking that most troops are from lower middle class backgrounds) and yet pretend to honor and revere them. You don't exalt someone you believe is beneath you. Liberals can't have it both ways.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

fooseball22

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 03:59:57 PM »
it'd make them a whole lot less cavalier about sending poor people off to die, thats for sure.

I'll assume cause you generally seem reasonable that you don't mean to imply everyone in the military is poor, but that's certainly the implication here....

3 words: all volunteer army.

how many rich people sign up for this 'volunteer army'?  I assume you're reasonable enough to recognize that mostly poor people compose the ranks of the military.

fooseball22

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 04:01:22 PM »
In general (and I'm not singling out people here, I should say) I think the liberal attitude toward servicemen and women is interesting...on the one hand, the look down their noses at them (hence the comment about poor people...and while foose probably didn't mean it the way I read it, it is common liberal thinking that most troops are from lower middle class backgrounds) and yet pretend to honor and revere them. You don't exalt someone you believe is beneath you. Liberals can't have it both ways.

sounds like rush rhetoric to me...

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 04:02:27 PM »
it'd make them a whole lot less cavalier about sending poor people off to die, thats for sure.

I'll assume cause you generally seem reasonable that you don't mean to imply everyone in the military is poor, but that's certainly the implication here....

how many rich people sign up for this 'volunteer army'?  I assume you're reasonable enough to recognize that mostly poor people compose the ranks of the military.

Some are, no doubt....but all of them joined for the promise of a GI bill at the end? I highly doubt it...I don't have the figures but I would assume it's mostly middle class...
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »

sounds like rush rhetoric to me...

It's a logical inference. If you consider people inferior to yourself, how can you possibly respect and admire them (not you, the general "you")?
--Margaret Thatcher

ASNetlenov

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »

What's your point? I guess poor people shouldn't be allowed to support higher taxation on the wealthy because they benefit without giving anything up? Similarly twisted logic.

MustBMe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 04:10:58 PM »

let julie take wild guess:  you for war, but intere43sted in fighting it.  right?

Speaking as a veteran, Julie, I find that comment highly offensive.  

I've never taken drugs, so I guess I have no right to speak about the danger of using/abusing drugs.

I've never had lung cancer, so I guess I have no right to speak about the dangers of smoking.

I've never had STD, but I guess I have no right to speak about somewhat safe sex (ie condoms) and safest sex (monogamous relationships).

After reading some of your posts, I think a two year stint in any of our armed forces, but particularly the Marines, would you do you a WORLD of good.  You might understand what it means to support your country, to be more inclined to trust your government i/s/o just about every other international organization that insults and disparages it.

Also, the military is overwhelming conservative.  I remember reading the Stars and Stripes last November which reported that about 80%.... THAT'S 80%.... of our armed forces who voted voted for Bush over Kerry.

So, in reponse to this assinine topic about Republicans being the first to volunteer to join the armed forces:  WE'RE ALREADY THERE!!!  

In the spirit of equality, I suggest we encourage more Democrats to join, so that instead of 80/20 split of conservatives to liberals, it'll be closer to 50/50.

Tell you kids what:  if any of you 'progressive' pi$$ on the US types were to enlist, I'll reenlist.  Swear to God.  

You see, I know how good it feels to be a part of something greater than myself.  To know that what I do truly matters.  To know that if I would have to sacrifice myself for my country, I'd be able to look God in the eye, knowing that there is no greater love than to lay down my life in defense of true liberty and freedom.

Reading your posts almost makes me wonder why I bothered.  Almost.

fooseball22

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »
i'm still not sure where your 'liberals see the poor as inferior' argument comes from...it was never stated nor inferred in this thread that they were inferior, nor have i read any stories recently about liberals calling the poor inferior.  You're more than welcome to show me real examples of such.

My point was originally that its easy to support a war your family is not involved in.