Law School Discussion

Should Republicans be drafted first?

Oneof2

• View Profile
Re: Should Republicans be drafted first?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »

i dont think anyone here would have the fuspa to disrespect someone who serves.  The question is more along the lines of whose interests are being served and accountability of those interests.

I think this is well said

be10dwn

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 02:07:16 PM »
I think all our interests are served if we can prevent people from flying planes into our buildings.  I don't know if a free democratic Iraq will help in his, but it just might.

fooseball22

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »
The problem with the liberals is that you keep trying to fight the same windmill over and over again.  At this point it doesn't matter why we went to Iraq, what matters is getting the damn job done.  We have to be successful, we have no choice.  Does nobody on the liberal side understand this?  All I ever hear is quagmire this and quagmire that, but no solutions are ever given to the problem.  If you think something is wrong, great, come up with a solution because otherwise you just sound like a whiny female dog.

liberals are the only ones without a plan?  Maybe you should rethink that one.

Be 10, My interests lay with the well being of all americans, not corporations, not electioneering, not politicians.  Just regular, plain folk.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 02:09:21 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how skilled Republicans in general are. I tend to think they'd be great scorers and possess solid man-to-man defensive skills. I'm not sure if I'd want them running the point or playing help defense. But if you find a Rep. with good size who can elevate and play lock down defense, then I say he's definitely worth a lottery pick.

*LOL*  This officially gets the award for the most worthwhile post on this topic thus far.

A.J.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »
Yeah I think so.  Along with the dems who voted for Kerry seeing as how he signed onto the war from day one.

be10dwn

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how skilled Republicans in general are. I tend to think they'd be great scorers and possess solid man-to-man defensive skills. I'm not sure if I'd want them running the point or playing help defense. But if you find a Rep. with good size who can elevate and play lock down defense, then I say he's definitely worth a lottery pick.

*LOL*  This officially gets the award for the most worthwhile post on this topic thus far.

I second the motion!

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 02:13:50 PM »
You see, I know how good it feels to be a part of something greater than myself.  To know that what I do truly matters.  To know that if I would have to sacrifice myself for my country, I'd be able to look God in the eye, knowing that there is no greater love than to lay down my life in defense of true liberty and freedom.

That kind of sentiment is very appealing, and I think, although it hasn't been put to the test, that if I believed that our military was something great and noble, and that our country was doing the right things for the right reasons, I would be willing to put my life on the line for that.  I might even be willing to put myself into a place where I would kill for that, though I'm not sure.

The problem is that I just don't have that kind of faith in our government, and its use of the military.  It's done too many terrible things in the past (as have most other governments; I'm not saying it's unique in that respect).  I wish I felt like our government was something I could trust and respect that much.

Hey Ms. Suger (presuming your female),

Granted, my job was to follow orders, not make policy decisions.  Still, none of us followed orders blindly.  If my conscience had ever bothered about what I was doing, I wouldn't've re upped twice.  And I can assure you that I follow my conscience as much as I can.  I also consider myself a good religious person, and believe that someday I'll have to answer for everything I've done.

I guess what bothers me is the presumption that the majority of the people were #1, poor, and #2, had no options other than join the military.  It makes it sound like we were just dumb fodder for the American military machine.  Of course we had some dim bulbs, but please tell me what large organization doesn't.

I'm not suggesting that there is some mystic nobility in being a member of the military.  I am saying that by far the main reason that the men and women who join it truly love their country and want to ensure that the God given opportunities and blessings that we have in the USA will still be there for our children and grandchildren.  Does anyone honestly believe that only 'dumb' and/or 'poor' people care about such things.

I can also honestly tell you that people like Julie Fern, with her "How Goes the Dirty Little War", is just a slap in the face to your American soldier.  I've been over there and let me tell you, the only "Dirty" thing going on are terrorists blowing up innocent people.  What the soldiers are doing, and more importantly, BELIEVE what we're doing, are routing out a rat's nest of terrorism.  Hopefully we're magnets for the terrorists so that the likelihood of such disgusting people committing such acts here are reduced.  None of us want to hurt of kill anyone, but, believe it or not, there is true evil in the world.  And there ultimately can only be one response to such matters.

I'm sorry you feel that our government has used our military terribly in the past.  Do you mind if I ask you for an example of two of what you're referring to?  It seems to me, if anything, people feel we don't use the military enough (ie Why haven't we invaded Cuba, North Korea, the Sudan, etc)

Anyway, if nothing else, I hope I engender a little more goodwill towards our service people.  They could really use it now.... more than ever.  It's a long fight ahead to protect this country.  Hell, I feel guilty for not still being out there.

be10dwn

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 02:14:57 PM »
The problem with the liberals is that you keep trying to fight the same windmill over and over again.  At this point it doesn't matter why we went to Iraq, what matters is getting the damn job done.  We have to be successful, we have no choice.  Does nobody on the liberal side understand this?  All I ever hear is quagmire this and quagmire that, but no solutions are ever given to the problem.  If you think something is wrong, great, come up with a solution because otherwise you just sound like a whiny female dog.

liberals are the only ones without a plan?  Maybe you should rethink that one.

Be 10, My interests lay with the well being of all americans, not corporations, not electioneering, not politicians.  Just regular, plain folk.

Hey, I'm pretty politically neutral on this issue.  But all you ever hear from the Democratic side are the voices Ted Kennedy and Howard Dean.  Now I have to question the wisdom of choosing someone who I would think doesn't appeal to the broad majority of his own party to be its leader, but thats another topic.  My point is, if they don't like the the way Iraq is going, the Dems should come up with an alternate strategy that doesn't consist of simply calling it a quagmire.  My feeling is that most of these liberal dem leaders are stuck with Vietnam flashbacks and shape every conflict in light of Vietnam. 

WKRUSE

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 02:16:34 PM »
I think you would be surprised.  You don't need to draft republicans.  We already make up over 70% of the armed forces.  You see, we do back up what we preach.  I had my B.S. in business before I signed up.  What were you doing while I was deployed?  Bitching and moaning with the rest of your liberal friends?  Grab a rifle or shut the F*$K up.  You might also be surprised to learn that the army is the only branch whose recruits, on average, come from lower middle income families.  The rest of the branches are made up almost entirely of middle to upper middle class americans.

how many rich people sign up for this 'volunteer army'?  I assume you're reasonable enough to recognize that mostly poor people compose the ranks of the military.

A.J.

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
YEAH!

Take that bitches!