Law School Discussion

Should Republicans be drafted first?

elemnopee

Re: Should Republicans be drafted first?
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2005, 10:50:07 AM »
We have not been ignoring the middle east for the last 50 years, we have helped prop up several of the dictatorships there, Sadaam included.

I'll reference a real theorist Michael Mandelbaum, he argues no two "true democracies" have ever attacked on another.  Following his line of thinking democracy is vital to global security.

What we have done in Iraq is not export democracy, and I disagree with this adminstrations approach.  I also disagree with continuing to align ourselves with terrible dictatorship regimes while attempting to export democracy.

I'm not rehashing any Michael Moore, or Hollywood elitism, but there are serious flaws with our past foriegn policy and it appears we are making them again. 

« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2005, 11:36:30 AM »
We have not been ignoring the middle east for the last 50 years, we have helped prop up several of the dictatorships there, Sadaam included.

I'll reference a real theorist Michael Mandelbaum, he argues no two "true democracies" have ever attacked on another.  Following his line of thinking democracy is vital to global security.

What we have done in Iraq is not export democracy, and I disagree with this adminstrations approach.  I also disagree with continuing to align ourselves with terrible dictatorship regimes while attempting to export democracy.

I'm not rehashing any Michael Moore, or Hollywood elitism, but there are serious flaws with our past foriegn policy and it appears we are making them again. 

I love references to Michael Moore. Most persons who reference him don't consider that he is a gun-totiing blue collar midwesterner whose opinions aren't nearly as extreme as his movies and books suggest. He is an ENTERTAINER, not a political theorist, so his opinion should be weighed as such. But I digress...

Often times, one is called a "Liberal" whenever one does nothing more than pointing out the less-than-respectable tactics our Government uses to achieve its ends. Why? Because if you equate "liberal" to "anti-american," then you effectively demonize them. That is the nature of rhetoric. (In fact, in reality, maybe 5% of Americans are truely "Liberals," the rest are Moderates who SOMETIMES agree with the liberal position.

Did we financially support Saddam Hussein during the 1980s? Absolutely. Did we support Noreiga, who in fact, we put on the CIA's payroll? Yep. Which of the two are responsible for more deaths of Americans? Noriega. Do we intmately do business with the Saudi Royal Family? Sure. Are Saudi women allowed to vote or drive a car? Are those who disagree with the Saudi Government beheaded in public squares? Is there freedom of the press in any country of the Middle East?

I think it is not "Liberal" or Conservative to point this out and to use this knowledge in considering whether such policies are wise.

« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2005, 10:17:11 PM »

Yes, the democratic peace theory. To paraphrase the wonderfully succinct comment on that from one of my liberal foreign policy profs: "It may be true, but you can't prove something by showing that it didn't happen." We could still go to war with another democracy (er, republic) at some point, you never know. I do think we'd have a tough time justifying it though, unless they were doing a massive power grab. The thing with democracies is they have open elections and the people wouldn't stand for a president or PM who would do something like that. And if the head of state ignored the people, it would no longer be a democracy.

If they were just interested in instilling a fundamentalist regime in the Middle East, they would make Saudi Arabia their target. (In fact, that is why many suggest the real “winners” in this whole Iraq affair are the Saudis. The Saudis LOVE the fact that all of their terrorists–those most critical of the current monarchy–have left.

I assume you're referring to the Wahabbis in Saudi Arabia. They and the Muslim Brotherhood are using Saudi Arabia as a fertile training group for up and coming terrorists, but they keep getting money from the Saudi oil coffers, so they're not going to attack just yet. They're going to let the House of Saudi go bankrupt first or for someone within the Al Saud family to grow a backbone and crack down on the fundamentalist clerics and madrassahs. But at the same time, you just said that these terrorists have left. Don't worry, still plenty of them in the homeland too.

No presence in the Middle East, no 9/11.

Yes, this is one of bin Laden's major complaints, but don't forget that the Saudis asked us to be there. Bin Laden was pissed that he and his battle-hardened Arab and African mujahideen who had just driven the mighty Red Army from Afghanistan (an unthinkable victory to most people at the time) weren't asked to defend the Holy Land. But don't think that's the only reason for their hatred of us. Not to be a psychologist here, but they hate that their own countries are poor and don't educate their people or providethe basic necessitiies of life. They blame it on the U.S. because it's an easy target these days, but the Arab countries need to clean up their own backyard or else all the American help in the world won't be enough. As someone said earlier, the Iraqis have to start fighting this war for themselves. They don't mind seeing American soldiers dying, but they need to understand that the terrorists aren't just after our guys. They want to put in a 7th century Islamic society replete with stonings, women being cloistered in their homes, and death to all who don't believe or cnovert to Islam.

Hegel

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »

Yes, the democratic peace theory. To paraphrase the wonderfully succinct comment on that from one of my liberal foreign policy profs: "It may be true, but you can't prove something by showing that it didn't happen." We could still go to war with another democracy (er, republic) at some point, you never know.

Plus, aren't most nations not democracies?  Most of them are an oligarchy or monarchy.  Or what I would term as pseudo-democracies--a powerless parliament with a ruling aristocracy based on lineage or control of the military.

« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2005, 07:00:20 PM »
Yeah, I don't think those count. Sort of like many of the Latin American countries in the 1980a and early 1990s and some even today.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 17, 2007, 07:31:52 AM »
be alot fewer wars then...

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2007, 06:35:04 AM »
Probably.  I doubt Dems are capable of doing any meaningful fighting, and most violate the gay ban. 

I love it when you use your bigot voice.  It's so hot.

Hannibal

• I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2007, 06:52:44 AM »
Should Republicans be drafted first?  Only if Democrats pay double in taxes.

I would gladly claim responsibility for the conservative side of the government if it meant I could withdraw from its liberal burdens entirely. 

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
actually, repubs should also be required to pay the "war tax" thats floating around.

and im sure dems wouldn't mind paying double taxes if repubs get half benefits!