Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR  (Read 1362 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LR
« on: June 12, 2004, 11:04:13 AM »
Here is the situation.  I always miss like 4-5 LR questions out of the last 10.  It's killing my score.  This has happened in every test I have taken so far.  I don't think it's a time issue either.  I usually miss maybe 1 or 2 in the first 14-16 questions, then *&^% on myself the last 10.  Anyone have any suggestions?

-----I normally look at my timer at the 15 question.  Maybe that's the correlation.  My anxiety goes into overdrive mode and I lose focus.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: LR
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 11:18:55 AM »
this pretty much happened to everyone i know who took the lsats, including me.   when i did prep test, i would miss anywhere from 2 to 6 in the last 10 questions...and ONLY in the last 10 questions. 

honestly, i dont know how to correct it other than to stop looking at your timer.  i remember setting my timer to go off at the 15 min remaining mark, then at tne 5 min remaining mark (thats how i was told they did it at the test, and thats how they really did it at my test) and that would put me in panic mode if i had more than 10 questions to after the 20 min mark. 

the thing i would be concerned about is pacing yourself.  make sure you dont spend too much time on one question..  the lengthy questions that dont make sense after looking at it for 10 seconds, skip and go to the next one.  then come back.  for me, after a while, i knew exactly where i would be after a certain question, as well as how long each question usually took me.  if i averaged longer than a 1:10 per question, i knew i was in trouble. 

im not sure what you could do about it now since the test is in 2 days.  try to keep focused and try to pace your self on the last LR sections you practice with.

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 11:26:21 AM »
Dsong,

Thanks so much for the advice.  I was hoping you were online today because I respect your advice.  I was about to start a thread looking for you.  I think looking at the timer is definately the problem, but then again I don't want to get stuck with 5 questions left with 1 minute.  It's frustrating and I only have 1 preptest left.  The only real problem besides the on mentioned earlier is time.  I generally leave myself with 2-5 guesses on every section.  If I had 5 more minutes a section I could ace this thing.  Any suggestions?  Again thanks so much! 
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 11:35:52 AM »
After rereading your thread I guess you basically answered my other question, so thanks again.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 11:39:22 AM »
first off...youre a sick, sick man respecting my advice...but if whatever gets you off... ;)

if youre leaving yourself with 2-5 guess on every section, youre DEFINITELY spending too much time on a few questions.  there is no rule that tells you that you have to do them in order.  in practicing LR, i found that the section is easy enough so that you should finish it with abou 3-4 minutes left.  i am a very slow reader and when i first started studying, i NEVER finished these sections.  i would always finish games, but not LR or RC.  but, when i broke down the time i spent on each question by timing each question, i took way too long on certain questions that i could have come back to.  and that would also hinder me from getting to the easier questions at the end. 

you might want to take one of your earlier prep tests, erase all the marks on them, and take the LR sections over again, if you want to practice the timing thing.  one word of caution on doing this though...dont second guess yourself because your remember the question and answer from going over it before.  i would suggest going to the princeton review site, and downloading the free lsats or signing up for their cracking the lsat free prep stuff.  i think they have like 4-5 lsats on there.   one of my friends who is taking the lsat this monday bought the pr book, got access to the online stuff (the online stuff is accessible when you go to a site and it asks you for a word in the book on a specific page), and practiced there. it might give you a good gauge for purely timing purposes.   

just dont spend too much time one one question.  you should know where you are after you finish a few questions....for me, after i finished 5 questions, i would be at the 29 min mark.  after 10, id be at the 23 min mark...etc.  and i was consistent for the last few tests. 

do the easy, short questions first.  they tend to be easier since there isnt much info to absorb.  then tackle the longer ones.  try this with a full test behind a study guide at your local book store.  then if it works try it with your preptest.  but make sure you try the method before you do it on your last preptest.

best of luck you ya, matie.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 11:46:50 AM »
I should clarify the respect  :).  I respect your your advice concerning the LSAT, because you scored so well and you pretty much studied like a mad man.  All other advice is up in the air LOL.  No you've been the one member who has givin accurate steady advice and you should be commended for that.  Thanks again.

---I'm finally a SR. CITIZEN, holy *&^% what have I done.

rathpa

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 11:56:58 AM »
Do the questions get harder further into the section?

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 12:05:42 PM »
Rathpa,

They do not get more difficult.  The arrangement of the questions is in no particular order.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 12:05:52 PM »
Do the questions get harder further into the section?

In my experience, yes and no.  The content doesn't get any harder IMHO.  However, certain lengthy question types, just as parallel reasoning, seem to appear more often in the latter have of the section.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

rathpa

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 12:11:28 PM »
$hit... if that's the case, then I am doing the exact same thing.  Although I haven't taken that many tests, the three that I have taken, I seem to ALWAYS miss 5 or 6, and always towards the end.  I attributed it to difficulty, but since it's not the case, I will have to rethink my methods.