Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this really worth it?  (Read 440 times)

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is this really worth it?
« on: June 29, 2005, 06:09:48 PM »
I'm leaving a cushy job (85K+ with hardly any responsibilities) to go to law school. It's become clear that new grads should not expect high paying jobs. Is anyone else having second thought about going to law school or starting to come to the realization that they are making more now than they will when they are a lawyer?

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
Re: Is this really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 06:58:28 PM »
You might be making more now than you will when you start out as a lawyer, but like anything, there's a ladder, and it shouldn't take too long before you're back where you are now.  Of course, that depends on what kind of law you want to practice.

NathanB

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 07:25:53 PM »
I think that laur0212 is right - You'll have a lot more earning potential w/ a JD.  On the other hand, I'd have a hard time giving up an 85K a year job to go to law school, personally.

I'm leaving a cushy job (85K+ with hardly any responsibilities) to go to law school. It's become clear that new grads should not expect high paying jobs. Is anyone else having second thought about going to law school or starting to come to the realization that they are making more now than they will when they are a lawyer?

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »
I'm giving up close to that as well. I wasn't going to do it initially (or I was going to go part-time), but I came to the realization that I don't enjoy what I'm doing and I don't want to continue doing it in the future. Due to loans, our lifestyle won't change a whole lot in law school, which was one of my worries. I'm able to take out loans that equal close to what I was taking home after taxes.

Do you enjoy what you are doing now? Would you be happy doing it for ten more years? Would you enjoy law more? You can't look at it 100% from a money standpoint, you need to consider quality of life and enjoyment as well.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 07:59:08 PM »
[quote author=ErinKG link=topic=37051.msg614198#msg614198 date=1120088828

Do you enjoy what you are doing now? Would you be happy doing it for ten more years? Would you enjoy law more? You can't look at it 100% from a money standpoint, you need to consider quality of life and enjoyment as well.

i think this is the correct answer to ask.  however, as someone who once basically took a vow of poverty to pursue something he truly enjoyed, earning power matters.  (at least it does to me and many people i know.)  maybe your career after law school will provide you with the kind of balance that results from a career that is both fulfilling and financially rewarding.