Law School Discussion

Hofstra FT vs. St. Johns PT???

DLAW

• View Profile
Hofstra FT vs. St. Johns PT???
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:14:20 PM »
What do you guys think? I am looking to get into IP or Corporate Law and would like to practice in NYC. I know St. Johns has a better rep but is it worth going there PT (and then switching to PT after the first year) or just going to Hofstra FT right from the start?

FYI, I received no $$ from either schools.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Re: Hofstra FT vs. St. Johns PT???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 04:43:45 PM »
As a future Hofstra 1L I must say I am biased, but it depends on a lot of factors.  I was waitlisted at St. Johns too, but did not check the pt option because it wanted to finish in 3 years and not have to worry about summer classes etc to change to full time.  I know 2L summer is most important, but getting you foot in the door of a firm, or a clearkship 1L summer can not hurt.  I think that (as EVERYONE says) if you do well at either school, and you have good interviewing skills, you will not have a problem getting a job in NYC.  Visit them both and see how you feel.  The higher rank looks great on paper, but would you rather be miserable for 3-4 years for a higher rank, ot love where you are at a slightly lower ranked school?

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
Definitely St. John's for what you want to do, especially since you will be able to transfer to f/t anyway.  St. John's reputation is on much more solid ground than Hofstra - Hofstra's T2 rank being relatively recent and with the possibility of sliding back down into T3.  Certainly, going to Hofstra will not mean that you have no chance of getting a good job in NYC, but you will have do relatively better at Hofstra (GPA and class rank-wise) for the same jobs.

I know several students at both schools and the ones at St. John's seem to have a better academic experience and less anxiety about their job prospects.  I think that the schools' employment and bar passage stats are better indicators of that than US News ranking.  Also, St. John's alumni are known for being militant about helping students find jobs in NYC.   

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »
Definitely St. John's for what you want to do, especially since you will be able to transfer to f/t anyway.  St. John's reputation is on much more solid ground than Hofstra - Hofstra's T2 rank being relatively recent and with the possibility of sliding back down into T3.  Certainly, going to Hofstra will not mean that you have no chance of getting a good job in NYC, but you will have do relatively better at Hofstra (GPA and class rank-wise) for the same jobs.

I know several students at both schools and the ones at St. John's seem to have a better academic experience and less anxiety about their job prospects.  I think that the schools' employment and bar passage stats are better indicators of that than US News ranking.  Also, St. John's alumni are known for being militant about helping students find jobs in NYC.   

I definitely agree- St. John's graduates are fiercely loyal to their fellow alumni, much more so than you'd ever expect. You graduate St. John's, pass the NY bar, and there will be a lot of alumni willing to hire you in NYC. Hofstra's alumni network is not nearly as strong as St. John's, so I would definitely choose St. John's PT over Hofstra's FT. Good luck!