Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Selfishness vs Selflessness  (Read 247 times)

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Selfishness vs Selflessness
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:11:12 PM »
I've become convinced lately that there are some qualities I have which will prevent me from reaching my full potential as a lawyer. Iíve noted that in school, work and my daily life, I occasionally avoid saying some things that some people might find offending in a simple conversation about politics, the news, religion, or whatever. In other words, sometimes I avoid trying to get under peopleís skin.

Sure, getting under peopleís skin on a constant basis is extreme Ė thatís not what Iím talking about. Iím talking about the fact that sometimes you do have to get under somebodyís skin. Sometimes you will HAVE to speak up for yourself if you want to be heard! Sometimes you have to kick a little ass to get somewhere...even more so in the world of law.

Iím afraid that this concept of avoidance is eventually going to bite me in the ass later in life. I know I can't be the only one with this problem. Iím pretty sure the way I was raised has a lot to do with the way I am. I've generally been shy in my life, but I've certainly made great strides since college to become more open, my professors regularly comment on what  agood speaker I am, etc..

I suppose I need to start becoming a little more selfish and start pondering over what I want and need, and stop thinking so much over what everybody else needs...to a limit, of course.

What advice could LSD give to this failed child??

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Selfishness vs Selflessness
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 02:14:40 PM »
Compartmentalize it. I think it's possible a ruthless climber in the corporate/legal world can be a very different person in his/her private life.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

ASNetlenov

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:16:13 PM »
Get me a coffee or I will be offended.

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
Compartmentalize it. I think it's possible a ruthless climber in the corporate/legal world can be a very different person in his/her private life.

Good point, and I agree. Take Detroit Pistons' Rasheed Wallace. He's known for being one of the roughest and emotional players in the game, who usually ends up having the most technical fouls in the NBA. Nonethless, his coach Larry Brown and his teammates regard him as the best family-man on the team. Who says you can't have the best of both worlds?

Get me a coffee or I will be offended.

Here.

I hope you choke on it.