Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Printers...Which ones are the best?!  (Read 759 times)

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Printers...Which ones are the best?!
« on: June 29, 2005, 01:35:14 PM »
I dont know anything about them other than the fact that I have an inkjet that I hate.  It prints good pictures but bad papers. 

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Printers...Which ones are the best?!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
i had 1 of those really cheap lexmarks like the z22, never had a problem, lasted me all 4 yrs of college, and still works now. had majoy problems with the HP and epson I had

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:04:35 PM »
I would suggest a monochrome laser printer and keep your inkjet incase you need to do color (assuming it is color).  I just bought a Samsung 1740 on newegg for $75 after mail-in-rebates.  You can also pickup an extra toner (always a good idea) and get $20 off of that with the rebate.  The Samsung I got has gotten good reviews and I figure for $75, it's worth a shot.

By the way, I recommend monochrome because if you get a color laser, all toners must be present in order to print.  So if you just printed a picture and ran out of cyan and desperately need to print a simple black and white outline for your final tomorrow and no stores are open (or if you bought a Dell or something that requires mail-order toner), your screwed.
3.24/161

Attending: Case
Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).
Denied: Too many

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:20:53 PM »
I've heard that laser isn't really that great unless you're printing thousands of pages a month. Modern good quality inkjets print text that is very close to  laser quality and can do nice pictures and graphics. Just do a google search for reviews. pcmagazine.com etc...

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:53:27 PM »
I've heard that laser isn't really that great unless you're printing thousands of pages a month. Modern good quality inkjets print text that is very close to  laser quality and can do nice pictures and graphics. Just do a google search for reviews. pcmagazine.com etc...

The problem is (in my experience), inkjets (yes even good quality ones) break...easily.  They have a lot more mechanical parts.  I'm not saying to buy a laser for quality, but for durability and ease of use.  It also is more economical, but I don't really care about that.  Just my thoughts and why I chose laser (plus at $75, you can't beat it).
3.24/161

Accepted: Case(12K),UH(withdraw),SLU(10K, withdraw),Mizzou(withdraw),Franklin Pierce(15K, withdraw).
Waitlisted: W&M(withdraw),Wake(withdraw),Wisconsin(withdraw), Pitt(declined),Temple(withdraw).

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 03:58:52 PM »
I actually would like a laser printer (for printing papers and such) but it's hard to pass up the inkjets that do so much better with digital photos. Plus, I dont have the room for two printers nor do I want two of them.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »
In my experience, inkjets are perfectly adequate for printing papers (and in law school, I doubt you'll  be printing more than plain text documents; these people are professionals.  I highly doubt they'll be impressed by pretty pictures and borders).  If you decide to go with inkjet, I recommend Canon.  They are fast, do good quality work, and in many cases the black ink cartridges are only $8 (I think $12 or so for color).  The big problem with Epson, HP, and especially Lexmark is that ink is expensive: a black cartride with these could easily be $30 a pop.  :o
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

daven8844x

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 11:45:58 AM »
In my experience, inkjets are perfectly adequate for printing papers (and in law school, I doubt you'll  be printing more than plain text documents; these people are professionals.  I highly doubt they'll be impressed by pretty pictures and borders).  If you decide to go with inkjet, I recommend Canon.  They are fast, do good quality work, and in many cases the black ink cartridges are only $8 (I think $12 or so for color).  The big problem with Epson, HP, and especially Lexmark is that ink is expensive: a black cartride with these could easily be $30 a pop.  :o

That's because Canon's cartridges are just ink whereas the others come with a whole new print head.  Eventually, you have to replace the Canon print head too, but I think it is still more economical. 
3.24/161

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
I agree on the ink think, I think lexmarks are so cheap b/c their ink is the most expensive. HP seems to have the cheapest ink to me, or they  have deals where you get free paper or something. I had alot of problems with Canon too. I've been through many printers. I like the all in ones, they're pretty inexpensive these days, but you might not need to scan or copy things often.