Law School Discussion

I was amazing in High School

I was amazing in High School
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:19:35 AM »
I know law schools want to know what you have done with your time since coming to college, but it seems as though the best volunteer experience I had and am most proud of happened when I was in High School. Would it be a bad idea for me to incorporate this into my PS? Maybe I could tie it in to some of the things I do now?

ccorsi

Re: I was amazing in High School
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:23:12 AM »
I know law schools want to know what you have done with your time since coming to college, but it seems as though the best volunteer experience I had and am most proud of happened when I was in High School. Would it be a bad idea for me to incorporate this into my PS? Maybe I could tie it in to some of the things I do now?

I think you should highlight your modesty.  It really is amazing.

C2

LaneSwerver

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:30:25 AM »
I had perfect attendance in elementary school for a couple of years. Should I highlight this?

ccorsi

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 10:34:05 AM »
I had perfect attendance in elementary school for a couple of years. Should I highlight this?

Definitely.  Didn't you also win the marshmallow eating contest at Field Day in the 4th grade?  You should work that into your PS.

C2

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 10:35:08 AM »

Definitely.  Didn't you also win the marshmallow eating contest at Field Day in the 4th grade?  You should work that into your PS.

C2

I did! I explained that the subsequent vomiting episode made me decide I wanted to sue schools for a living.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »

When I first read your response I was going to be mad, but then I looked at your numbers and realized that anger is completely unwarranted and pointless. Is it the picture of the Black girl that brings out the meanies? No, but seriously, this questions is addressed to serious students who have serious answers...I'm serious.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:03:58 AM »
I think you are better off talking about stuff that you did in college.  If you focus on HS achievements, adcomms will probably infer that you were lazy or unmotivated in college.  If you have to discuss some of your HS achievements, do so in a way that downplays the fact that those accomplishments were in high school, either by not mentioning the years/dates that you did the activities in question or by stressing that the activity was something that you continued in your early college years.  If your activity was something that can't be discussed in this way -- something akin to being the editor of your high school newspaper or a high school sports star -- then just don't discuss it.  It would make you look worse than some kind of wishy-washy essay on your personal characteristics.  Adcomms look at people who stress their high school achievements and think, rightly, "What, did they do nothing in college?"

(I didn't include a single one of my hs achievements in my essays or resume ... even though I did a bunch of badass stuff for a highschooler.  Instead, I talked about some of my college activities and some personal experiences that discussed junior high, high school, and college.)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:21 AM »
Some questions do not need to be asked.  Dumbest thing ever.  But I am curious as to what adcomms would say about your HS achievements.  "Yes, of course tell them of all the glorious things you have done in high school".  Please keep us informed on the amount of scholarship $$ you receive.

ccorsi

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:11:33 AM »

When I first read your response I was going to be mad, but then I looked at your numbers and realized that anger is completely unwarranted. I mean, what should I have expected? All I can wonder is, if  the picture of the little black girl wasn't up there, would my feedback be different? Probably not so I guess I will take my serious question, to serious students who have serious #'s.

Listen.  Your thread title was NOT a serious title so you get what you deserve.

With that said, what are you talking about in terms of your avatar?  You think we were being racist?  You have got to be kidding me.  Get a grip.

As far as insulting people who have numbers lower than yours - good luck with that tactic.  I'm sure it will get you far in life - especially with those who have numbers higher than yours.

C2

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »
oooh, you people can be mean. And you take me too seriously. If you think it's a dumb question, don't answer it. All I needed was a simple yes or no as the honorable Jeff gave me. All the other stuff is extra - unnecessary.  ;)