Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another PS advice request about PI  (Read 228 times)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Another PS advice request about PI
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
Ok, so I want to do public interest law.  But frankly, my answer to why I want to do social justice work of some kind is that I can't think of anything else that feels worth doing to me, and my answer to why I want to do it in law is because I think I'd be good at it. 

My life story is extra-dull.  White, middle class, two very liberal/hippie parents, high school, college, campaign work, office work.  I'm a dyke, but that hasn't been problematic, or even hard for the most part.  Oh, the excitement that is my life.

I'm toying with the idea of a more abstract essay on my thoughts about power as embodied by law and the ethical questions involved in adding to my own personal power through a legal education, given my already overprivilidged status.  But that isn't well fleshed out in my head, and I'm kind of afraid it'll come off as creepy.

Any thoughts on that?

badmammajamma

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
Re: Another PS advice request about PI
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:22:02 PM »
I'll be honest. I would be creeped out by a PS about how to get power. I'd feel like I was reading an avil dictator's essay. I like personal statements that don't try to be intimidating or impressive, but honest, charming, and written with a radiant wit. That's just my opinion.
I don't know what else to offer you as a suggetsion, however. sorry.
Yale Class of 2009

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:30:10 PM »
I'll be honest. I would be creeped out by a PS about how to get power. I'd feel like I was reading an avil dictator's essay. I like personal statements that don't try to be intimidating or impressive, but honest, charming, and written with a radiant wit. That's just my opinion.
I don't know what else to offer you as a suggetsion, however. sorry.

It wouldn't exactly be about how to get power, more about the ethical complications involved in that.

But, like I said, I could see where it would be creepy.

The problem is that I just don't have a damn thing to write about.  Honestly, I want to do law because I think it's fascinating, and I think I'd be good at it, and I think I could do things with it that would be more useful to society than any other career path (that I could tollerate: social work, teaching, organizing, etc. would probably accomplish more, but I just can't handle that much emotional labor).

The problem is that's a dull personal statement.  It's true of thousands of other people, and let's be honest, most of them basically deserve it more than me.  ;)

nuzzle77

• View Profile
    • Staticflow - Kick Ass Acappella Music
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 12:30:32 PM »
I was in the same situation...white/middle-class, no extraordinary life struggles.

However, I think that you need to find a way in your personal statement to get across who you are as a person.  The admissions committee does not want to read "Why I'd Be a Good Lawyer" or "Why I want to go to law school..."

They want to see what kind of a person you are, how you write, and read an interesting story. I would say to focus on something interesting that happened in your life. If you don't want to discuss your sexuality (which might be an interesting topic), there MUST be some event in your life that was interesting or that you learned something from...
Heading to the University of Baltimore School of Law