Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Courses/Study Abroad  (Read 613 times)

TNLAW

• View Profile
LSAT Courses/Study Abroad
« on: June 11, 2004, 08:26:21 PM »
OK, so I'm a rising junior and plan on taking the LSAT and going to law school directly after I graduate.  I would like to take the LSAT in June so I can get it over with and have an idea of what schools I'll be able to get into with my LSAT/GPA.  The thing is that I will be studying abroad in Germany starting next January until mid-July.  I was trying to figure out when I can fit it my LSAT course so as to benefit me the most.  What I was thinking about doing is taking the Powerscore course (ive heard its the best....opintions/thoughts on this are also appreciated) in Oct/Nov with those preparing for the Dec. LSAT and then studying my ass off for it while abroad using the techniques I learned in the course to really improve my score (I have heard that I will have plenty of free time while in Germany to study for the LSAT and much more than I would have while at school in the US).  Was anyone else in a similar situation or havne any good ideas of what to do?  I wasn't sure if this is too early to take the course if I want to take the June LSAT.  Also while in the topic, is it true that Powerscore is better for those for want to get a really high score rather than for people who want to improve, but are not shooting for 170+ (i know this sounds cocky but I didnt know how else to phrase it)?  I took a practice test cold and got a 161 and am hoping to get around or above a 170.  Thanks!!

TimZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT Courses/Study Abroad
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 10:26:30 PM »
If I were you I'd take LSAT on Dec and take the time in Germany to learn German and experience Germany.

Hazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 11:04:56 PM »
Studying is the last thing I want to do when I'm overseas.  I'd take the powerscore class for the October or Dec test.  There is so much to do over there besides study for the lsat.  Then again, I would rather study for the LSAT in Germany than over here...

TNLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 11:16:37 PM »
Well the reason I want to take it then is because the way the program is set up I will only be taking 2 or 3 courses while over there and from what I've heard classes only meet about once a week and have almost no work besides the final exam/paper.  This would leave me plenty of extra time during the week to study.  I can't think of any other time in my yearly schedule which I will have close to this amount of free time to study before my senior year.  Also, I am already fluent in German so learning the language/translating for classes will be no problem for me.  I figure if I set up my schedule so that I only have one or two days of classes per week (ive heard this is very easy to do), then I have the rest of the week to study and 'experience' Germany.  Also, as much as it sucks, I will be on a limited budget over there so traveling around Europe all the time is not really an option.   Has anyone here taking the LSAT abroad?  From what I've researched, I would have to take it in Paris, which I think I remember someone on this board saying that the conditions weren't the best.  Thanks again!!

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 07:57:22 AM »
i'd take it in October if i were you...that way, if you do terribly, you can still take another one in December.