Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best laptop to buy  (Read 4326 times)

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
Re: best laptop to buy
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2004, 12:22:16 PM »
Yes, you can

ruskiegirl

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2004, 02:44:56 AM »
Have you guys heard anything about this Panasonic Toughbook?  Looks like a great design to me.  It has a built in CD-ROM drive and is still under 3lbs.  And with a 6 hr battery life, it's starting to look really attractive.  All you computer folks let me know what you think.

http://att.com.com/Panasonic_ToughBook_CF_W2/4505-3121_7-30525272-2.html?tag=top

thinknpositive

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2004, 08:43:33 AM »
Have you guys heard anything about this Panasonic Toughbook?  Looks like a great design to me.  It has a built in CD-ROM drive and is still under 3lbs.  And with a 6 hr battery life, it's starting to look really attractive.  All you computer folks let me know what you think.

http://att.com.com/Panasonic_ToughBook_CF_W2/4505-3121_7-30525272-2.html?tag=top

I'm a big fan but the price tag is high, are you willing to spend 2200?  If you add a couple of pounds (equal in size to the hamburger I ate last night) you can save atleast 700 bucks and get a much better computer.  You obviously are paying a huge premium for the portability.  Do you plan on traveling a lot?

If cost really isn't a consideration and you don't plan on playing Mech Warrior on it, then do it up.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2004, 08:50:51 AM »
12.1" is a pretty small screen...I'd make sure you tried one out with a similar screen size to make sure you can deal with that before considering it.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2004, 12:30:28 AM »
I buy almost everything over the internet, and am almost never charged tax for my purchases. The ones that do charge me seem to be the ones that are physical locations first, and then go online (like bestbuy, walmart, etc. versus Bestprices.com, buydig.com) Do these computer companies charge you tax?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2004, 09:03:45 PM »
I buy almost everything over the internet, and am almost never charged tax for my purchases. The ones that do charge me seem to be the ones that are physical locations first, and then go online (like bestbuy, walmart, etc. versus Bestprices.com, buydig.com) Do these computer companies charge you tax?

I seem to think that when I bought my first Toshiba through shoptoshiba.com they charged me tax.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2004, 09:06:31 PM »
I've been looking at several differnt manufacturers and models over the last few weeks and have noticed that many of the current ultraportables were released in 2003.  I would hate to buy one now and find out two weeks later that there is a newer and better verion that just came out.  Are there sites that offer information about release dates of future models?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2004, 09:22:07 PM »
Just thought I'd share this link with all the MAC lovers.  It's a Powerbook G4 for 1300. 

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=729227

There are also a few good deals on Gateways on the site, so definitely check it out.