Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best laptop to buy  (Read 4254 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: best laptop to buy
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2004, 02:45:26 PM »
i am working for a computer company myself....and i can tell you that all the computers are basically the same......

they are COMMODITIES.  ;D

Ginatio

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2004, 02:59:30 PM »
it's a T42 "Premium". I'd have to buy it through Penn, who would then forward the order to IBM, I believe. I doubt IBM would give you the same deal directly.

Let me know if it works though.

ginatio, what's the model number for that machine? also, would you be buying directly from ibm, or from penn? i'm trying to see if i can get that same price, but they need a model number...

that's only about $100 more than i can do for a t41 through the employee purchase program (i have a friend who works there) and would love that system instead.

thanks.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »
also, what do you all think regarding the size of the screen...

definitely 12" is too small and 16" is too big... but what about 14" and 15" screens? is there an appreciable difference between the two?

thinknpositive

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2004, 03:28:59 PM »
hey RAINMKR07 (or anyone else who knows what they are talking about),

since you work for dell, what do you know about the Dell Latitude D600? its an older computer isnt it? i thought that dell had stopped making it once the inspirons came out. for some reason, the only computers that my school sells are the latitudes. the specs for the one that im looking at are below.

what do you think?

PRICE INCLUDES 4 YEAR WARRANTY AND FREE SHIPPING!

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.60GHz
Cache: 512 KB
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Software: Office 2003, McAfee Anti Virus and BC Utilities
Storage: 80GB internal hard drive
Optical: 4X DVD+RW Drive
Memory: 1024MB, DIMM, DDR SDRAM memory
VRAM: 64 MB
Sound Card: Integrated 24 bit
PCMCIA: Type III
USB 2.0: 2 ports
NIC: Ethernet 10/100/1000
Modem: Internal 56K modem
Battery: Li-Ion 6 cell
Wireless: Intel Centrino 2200 802.11 b/g
Screen: 14.1" SXGA+ display
Security: Integrated Smart Card Reader
Weight: 4.68 lbs and 1.2" thin
Dimensions: 1.2"(h) x 12.4"(w) x 10.1"(d)

4 YEAR PARTS AND LABOR ON SITE WARRANTY!

FREE UPS REGULAR GROUND SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM!

$1728.00

Well, I am in the warranty department.  So I think I would be of more use if I was in tech support or sales.  =)  But personally, I think that it's an excellent deal. It has everything you need, including a DVD Burner, great software, 1GB of RAM, a huge hard drive, a centrino processor (they can run upwards of 6 HOURS on one charge!) (to compare - my brand new compaq can only run 2 hours on a battery!)  So in my situation, I only had $700ish to spend.  If I had an extra $1000 (making my total $1700) then I would have definitely purchased a system like this.  If you have any problems, Dell will send someone to your school to fix it, on-site.  And with the Centrino Processor, when the rest of our batteries will be dying after 2 hours of use, yours will still have 4 more hours to go!

Ryan

yeah... this is all through school (boston college). the one other thing is that for an additional $125 i get the complete warranty protection for 4 years (so even if i drop it they fix it). does this change anyone's oppinion?

amazing deal... go for it

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2004, 03:47:35 PM »
Ginatio,

Sorry, i wasn't very specific there. By model number, I'm looking for something like IBM 23739HU or IBM 2378DUU.

thanks.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2004, 03:57:21 PM »
jas...lemme know if you find a way to get that computer/price.  Thanks.

Ginatio

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2004, 04:29:43 PM »
ahhh.. i have no clue what the precise model number is. What I have copy and pasted is all the info that they gave me.

Ginatio,

Sorry, i wasn't very specific there. By model number, I'm looking for something like IBM 23739HU or IBM 2378DUU.

thanks.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
What do you guys think about mail-in service as far as computer repair (as opposed to on-site service)?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2004, 07:41:54 PM »
i would never get mail in service unless they agree to send you a new computer while they are fixing yours. after all, you dont want to be stuck w/out a computer for 2 weeks while they fix it. also, if they are on site you at least have some degree of controll over the computer... for example, if they were about to format the hard drive youd have a chance to back up your files before he erased all of your work for the semester. you dont really have any control over what happens to the computer if you mail it away.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2004, 12:21:33 PM »
Does anyone know if you can use microsoft word 2000 on windows XP?