Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best laptop to buy  (Read 4420 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: best laptop to buy
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 04:41:43 PM »
so the one thing that no one has mentioned is the warranty... it sweet to have a top-of-the-line laptop but what happens when it breaks? especially if its your fault! since we will be dragging this thing all around school every day for the next three years, my biggest fear is dropping it or spilling coffee on it or something like that where it isnt the manufacturers fault. this is the only reason why dell is so attractive to me... cause they sell a COMPLETE warranty where they will fix it no matter who's fault it is.

if it werent for the warranty id definitely go with a custom laptop. for those of you in the boston area, i HIGHLY recomend PCs for Everyone. they are a high-end computer company right in cambridge. when i was in grad school and needed extra computing power for my thesis research i went to them and was very happy with the result.

any thoughts, people?

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 04:55:31 PM »
I work for Dell - in the warranty department actually.

The only way they would fix "ANYTHING" is if you buy the laptop with "complete care" warranty coverage.  That costs, on top of the laptop, $350-$400.  So sure, it's a great warranty.

But my compaq laptop was $699 new.  For $400 plus the difference between my compaq laptop price and a new Dell laptop price... I could buy a brand new compaq laptop with the difference....  Now that's a warranty.

Also:

Complete Care does cover accidents...  But it doesn't cover "everything".  It doesn't include:  loss, fire, cosmetic damage, batteries or intentional damage...  And Complete Care is not available in Florida OR New York State.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 06:56:55 PM »
anyone considering a panasonic toughbook?

i mean...even the bullets of AK 47 can't penetrate all the way through the laptop.

so if the "deadly viper assasination squad" has grudges against anyone....toughbook should come handy.  ;)

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
I was wondering what wirless equipment you needed to buy for your laptop so you could take advantage of the Wi-Fi that campuses have. I am looking at the Inspiron 1150 for Dell (the economy model) and the cheapest thing for a wirleless card is the Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) along with a Dell TrueMobile 2300 (802.11b/g) Wireless Router with 1Yr Adv Exchange which (including both) comes to an extra 130 dollars. Do I need both of these things do take advantage of wi-fi? And is that even what is in most law classrooms? Would I be able to access my DSL service (connected to my desktop) with my laptop if I had this? I used to be computer literate...

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 02:07:50 AM »
hey RAINMKR07 (or anyone else who knows what they are talking about),

since you work for dell, what do you know about the Dell Latitude D600? its an older computer isnt it? i thought that dell had stopped making it once the inspirons came out. for some reason, the only computers that my school sells are the latitudes. the specs for the one that im looking at are below.

what do you think?

PRICE INCLUDES 4 YEAR WARRANTY AND FREE SHIPPING!

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.60GHz
Cache: 512 KB
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Software: Office 2003, McAfee Anti Virus and BC Utilities
Storage: 80GB internal hard drive
Optical: 4X DVD+RW Drive
Memory: 1024MB, DIMM, DDR SDRAM memory
VRAM: 64 MB
Sound Card: Integrated 24 bit
PCMCIA: Type III
USB 2.0: 2 ports
NIC: Ethernet 10/100/1000
Modem: Internal 56K modem
Battery: Li-Ion 6 cell
Wireless: Intel Centrino 2200 802.11 b/g
Screen: 14.1" SXGA+ display
Security: Integrated Smart Card Reader
Weight: 4.68 lbs and 1.2" thin
Dimensions: 1.2"(h) x 12.4"(w) x 10.1"(d)

4 YEAR PARTS AND LABOR ON SITE WARRANTY!

FREE UPS REGULAR GROUND SHIPPING ON THIS ITEM!

$1728.00

ruskiegirl

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 03:10:13 AM »
I was wondering what wirless equipment you needed to buy for your laptop so you could take advantage of the Wi-Fi that campuses have. I am looking at the Inspiron 1150 for Dell (the economy model) and the cheapest thing for a wirleless card is the Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) along with a Dell TrueMobile 2300 (802.11b/g) Wireless Router with 1Yr Adv Exchange which (including both) comes to an extra 130 dollars. Do I need both of these things do take advantage of wi-fi? And is that even what is in most law classrooms? Would I be able to access my DSL service (connected to my desktop) with my laptop if I had this? I used to be computer literate...
You don't have to have built-in Wi-Fi to take advantage of the system.  You can purchase an external card for under 50 bucks that will adapt most recent models to work with the Wi-Fi system at your school.  I actually saw a card on www.overstock.com just today.  It was quite reasonably priced.

And, yes, you can still use DSL.  You will just need to disable the card by either turning off the switch or pulling it out.  Then you can plug up the DSL cable and you are ready to go. 

Most law classrooms have wireless internet and those that don't have it already are very likely hard at work trying to get it. 

ruskiegirl

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 03:20:04 AM »

since you work for dell, what do you know about the Dell Latitude D600? its an older computer isnt it? i thought that dell had stopped making it once the inspirons came out. for some reason, the only computers that my school sells are the latitudes. the specs for the one that im looking at are below.

what do you think?

$1728.00

I think it's pricy for what you are getting.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 03:20:32 AM »

what do you think?

$1728.00

That warranty doesn't include complete care.  Without it, the warranty won't help you much at all.  Other than that, it's a good machine, but not suitable for playing games.  I feel like a broken record, but I really think you'd be better off putting the money you'll spend on this machine into a slightly lower spec'd ibm.  You don't need high specs to do basic office productivity, but you do need the machine to work reliably in order to do any work at all. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 03:24:13 AM »
Hey, zpops, do you by any chance work for IBM?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 04:13:18 AM »
Hey, zpops, do you by any chance work for IBM?

LOL, just the opposite.  IBM is a major competitor for the computer security company I'm starting up, but even so I'll continue to reccomend IBM thinkpads, because they're the most reliable machines with the best waranties. I'd never reccomend an ibm for a normal person, but if your laptop has to function properly everyday without fail, then you have very few options outside of IBM. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.