Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best laptop to buy  (Read 4424 times)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: best laptop to buy
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 11:35:42 AM »
Buy IBM.  If you don't, I sincerely believe you'll regret it.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 12:22:53 PM »
There's no question IBM in general makes best laptops out there...I'm personally ogling the T42.  The only problem with them is that both they and consumers know this, so they tack on a $200-300 price premium on their computers.  I'm hoping to find a good deal on one, but i'm kinda picky so I'm not sure.  I also know several people with Toshibas who have had very good luck with those.  Right now (assuming I dont find a deal on the T42 i want), I'm leaning toward a Dell D600.  From what ive heard, the business class are the way to go on the Dells; its about the same price as a 600m.  Plus, you don't have to waste money on getting MS Works or any of that other software crap you'll probably just replace with a student-priced MS Office.

Personally, I'm looking for a thin and light laptop (14", <5lbs) with the new centrino processor (Intel Pentium-M 7**...I'd highly suggest this as Intel doubled the cache, a major component in processor speed), an SXGA monitor (higher resolution), 512 RAM, and a 30-40gb HD faster than the crappy 4200RPM they put in a lot of laptops.  Oh, and intel integrated 802.11b/g wireless.  Too bad I havent really been able to find all this under 2k...

You probably can get a laptop that works more than adequate with much less than that.  Hell, my 800Mhz p3 desktop works just fine for anything i usually do, and something similar in a laptop would probably suffice.  But, i'm a computer engineer, and like cool computer stuff...

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 01:27:28 PM »
there's one thing that's always kept me from getting an IBM... well.. two things... the exorbitant pricing and also, i really hate ibm's joystick mouse. it's ridiculously hard to get used to using compared to a standard touch pad.

nevertheless, penn law has a great deal on the T42 (about half off the retail), so it's a deal I can't pass up, but i know i'm gonna hate getting adjusted to using that damn red bubble. why can't ibm just tack on a touch pad?

JMac42

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 02:39:45 PM »
hate getting adjusted to using that damn red bubble. why can't ibm just tack on a touch pad?

I hate both & love my MouseMan Traveler.  Yeah, it's one more thing to carry, but the productivity increase is more than worth it.

superiorlobe

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 02:44:03 PM »
there's one thing that's always kept me from getting an IBM... well.. two things... the exorbitant pricing and also, i really hate ibm's joystick mouse. it's ridiculously hard to get used to using compared to a standard touch pad.

nevertheless, penn law has a great deal on the T42 (about half off the retail), so it's a deal I can't pass up, but i know i'm gonna hate getting adjusted to using that damn red bubble. why can't ibm just tack on a touch pad?

The T42 also has a normal touch pad mouse, so you don't have to use the trackpoint if you don't like it.

Ginatio

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 02:45:59 PM »
thats awesome, then. done deal

The T42 also has a normal touch pad mouse, so you don't have to use the trackpoint if you don't like it.

jfbruin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 03:52:02 PM »
IBM is the best but it is very expensive.  I found a deal on Compaq that you won't be able to find anywhere else for the same price:

Compaq R300Z
AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3000+ 1.80 GHz
XP Pro
512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
54g(TM) Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
32MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 4 420 Go Graphics Card
3-year HP Express Repair extended service plan
HP notebook expansion base (includes wireless keyboard and mouse)
Microsoft® 802.11g wireless base station
Internal Floppy

All this for under $1500. 

thinknpositive

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 04:11:28 PM »
IBM is the best but it is very expensive.  I found a deal on Compaq that you won't be able to find anywhere else for the same price:

Compaq R300Z
XP Pro
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
Internal Floppy

That guy weighs over 8 lbs. though.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 04:23:04 PM »

Compaq R300Z
XP Pro
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
Internal Floppy

That machine is very stupidly configured, because of last generation video chip.  You can get a machine that matches or exceeds every one of the specs (which has a modern radeon9600 64 meg videocard) for less than that compaq through emachines.  And before you scoff at the name, you should read the reviews of that laptop.  It's the most powerful and affordable desktop replacement on the market.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

thinknpositive

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »

Compaq R300Z
XP Pro
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
15.4" WXGA (1280x800)
Internal Floppy

emachines? (scoff!)

That machine is very stupidly configured, because of last generation video chip.  You can get a machine that matches or exceeds every one of the specs (which has a modern radeon9600 64 meg videocard) for less than that compaq through emachines.  And before you scoff at the name, you should read the reviews of that laptop.  It's the most powerful and affordable desktop replacement on the market.