Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: best laptop to buy  (Read 4389 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
best laptop to buy
« on: June 11, 2004, 06:48:31 PM »
so what do you all suggest as far as the best laptop to get?

ive been leaning towards a dell only because they have the total warranty where they will fix it even if im the one who drops it. at the same time, i hate dell with a passion and i know that they make crappy computers so i was thinking about buying a custom made computer. the advantage with this company is that (1) ive used them before and they are VERY reputable and (2) they only use top-of-the-line parts. The down side is that they dont offer a warranty package where they will fix it even if i break it.

as far as all the technical stuff, here is what i was thinking:

battery life: 5hrs minimum
screen size: 15" minimum
processor: pentium M
hard drive: 40gigs
ram: 256
weight: 7lbs maximum

any thoughts on the subject?

flecktone

• View Profile
Re: best laptop to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 07:24:37 PM »
I definitely would not buy a computer without a warranty. I don't care how great it is.  I'm going on three years with my Dell Inspiron 8100 with no problems, but it's a little heavy to lug around.  I'm probably getting the Dell 600m.  It is very light and thin.  Monitor size is only 14" though.  You can get one with 512mb ram and 40GB hard drive for about $1100.

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 07:26:16 PM »
i wish i could afford 3 grand for a laptop

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »
Ah, yes, that's really nice.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:12:16 PM »
nice, yeah... but its only got a 10" screen! way too small for my taste...

and for $3000 it damn well better take my tests for me!

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 10:03:47 PM »
I definitely would not buy a computer without a warranty. I don't care how great it is.  I'm going on three years with my Dell Inspiron 8100 with no problems, but it's a little heavy to lug around.  I'm probably getting the Dell 600m.  It is very light and thin.  Monitor size is only 14" though.  You can get one with 512mb ram and 40GB hard drive for about $1100.

I'm about to buy that same Dell, but with some added custom options.  Everyone I've talked to that has it likes it. 

The only thing I've been told over and over by law students is to get as much RAM as I can afford because Westlaw and Lexis Nexis run slow if you don't have a lot.  Since you use these programs all the time in law school it seems important.  I heard not to get less than 512mb.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 11:30:05 AM »
Couldn't you just go cheapo on your laptop and spend the rest of your money on a desktop? You get just as much features for half the price. I mean if it's because of research that you need a fast comp, can't you just do the research at home?

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 11:30:17 AM »
Couldn't you just go cheapo on your laptop and spend the rest of your money on a desktop? You get just as much features for half the price. I mean if it's because of research that you need a fast comp, can't you just do the research at home?

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
getting a good laptop is important, because so much research is done in the law library, using the lexis/nexis, westlaw stuff.

plus, you know how hard it is to get anything done at home.

too much distractions!  ;D

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 08:57:54 AM »
I got a compaq presario 2500 laptop from best buy a couple months ago.  It was only $699 and I felt the price was too good to pass it by.

Specs:
2.60 Ghz Celeron
256mb ram
40gb hard drive
dvd/cdrw combo drive
wireless internet internally

Dell's cheapest laptop didn't meet most of these specs.  So far it works very well, and I just added 256mb more memory for $25 (also purchased from Best Buy).