Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SOUND ADVICE NEEDED!!!  (Read 635 times)

iowa hopeful

• View Profile
SOUND ADVICE NEEDED!!!
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:50:05 AM »
Greetings-

I am a senior at the Carlson School of Management (University of Minnesota) and am majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurial Management.  I just took the LSAT this June and did horrible.  I fear that if I take it again my score may not improve significantly enough to justify having retaken it and what if I end up doing worse?

My GPA:  3.75

LSAT:    154

Where do you think I can get in?  Do I have any chance at the University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin or University of Washington?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
IOWA HOPEFUL

elemnopee

Re: DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 12:02:49 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way, I see two options:

1) 3rd or 4th Tier that is well respected with in its region, with the possibility of transferring

2) MBA

You came on here for tough love so here it is.  Are you sure you want to study law?

iowa hopeful

• View Profile
Re: DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE...Where Can I GET IN???
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:16 PM »
Third or Fourth Tier?  Man that sounds absolutely dreadful.  Yeah I want to study law.  I also plan on getting my MBA in a joint degree and then pursuing consulting.  Is it worth trying to retake the test?
IOWA HOPEFUL

elemnopee

Re: DESPERATELY NEED ADVICE...Where Can I GET IN???
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 12:14:09 PM »
Third or Fourth Tier?  Man that sounds absolutely dreadful.  Yeah I want to study law.  I also plan on getting my MBA in a joint degree and then pursuing consulting.  Is it worth trying to retake the test?

IMHO, a joint degree is pretty worthless just go for the MBA if you want to do consulting.  Get a JD if you want to be a lawyer.  Law school is hell.

Did you mess up the games section?  If so I would say retake, any other section more studying will only increase your score marginally.

You might try posting on xoxohth.com as well, or doing a search. 

blondelawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SOUND ADVICE NEEDED!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:48:58 PM »
Wow, i am surprised that getting into a t3/t4 sounds so awful.. Going to a lower tiered school does not mean you won't be a successful lawyer! On the same token graduating from a t14 school doesn't seal your future in gold, either...

I know alot of successful attorneys who went to t3/t4 schools. I work in a law firm now, and the partners are from a t4 schools, and their associates (older associates, i might add) are from a t14 schools...One of my Kaplan teachers went to Harvard law- and he quit being a lawyer to become an elementary school teacher.

I understand not wanting to go to the "Acme School of Law", but there are great schools out there for you with your numbers..It's just sad to see your post saying how "dreadful" it would be to go to a lower tiered school....

"Do you think she got up one morning and said, 'I think I'll go to law school today'?"

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:41:01 PM »
Actually, you may want to look at Chapman University School of Law a rising third tier school. The university is already pretty highly regarded in Orange County (OC), home to Newport Beach and Anaheim, and is dubbed the USC of the OC. Furthermore, they are dumping so much money into their business and economics programs that are on the rise. Check it out and you may like it.

http://www.chapman.edu/law/
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

elemnopee

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 11:11:02 PM »
Actually, you may want to look at Chapman University School of Law a rising third tier school. The university is already pretty highly regarded in Orange County (OC), home to Newport Beach and Anaheim, and is dubbed the USC of the OC. Furthermore, they are dumping so much money into their business and economics programs that are on the rise. Check it out and you may like it.

did they pay you to say that?

Chapman has no such reputation in the OC, and it is certainly not the USC of the OC. 

The majority of the firms in the OC are IP and Real Estate/Trust centered.

Original poster, take the GRE and actually prepare.  Then go to Wharton, you'd make a much better consultant, then with a t3-4 JD/MBA.  Buisnesses don't hire legal consultants they hire law firms, unless there is a niche market I am unaware of.

Dangermouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 11:21:10 PM »

did they pay you to say that?

Chapman has no such reputation in the OC, and it is certainly not the USC of the OC. 

The majority of the firms in the OC are IP and Real Estate/Trust centered.

Original poster, take the GRE and actually prepare.  Then go to Wharton, you'd make a much better consultant, then with a t3-4 JD/MBA.  Buisnesses don't hire legal consultants they hire law firms, unless there is so niche market I am unaware of.

LMFAO   thanks for the laugh, that was funny...I also agree, Chapman is NOT the USC of the OC, i'm still laughing