Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cost of books for first year?  (Read 2533 times)

theflower

• View Profile
Re: Cost of books for first year?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 09:53:45 PM »
My undergrad was on the quarter system and on average I spent about $400-500/term on books.  Occasionally I'd try to cut back on costs, since I'd never read more than a quarter of the assignments, but still it got pricey. 

$1500-2000/year for 1L sounds about right to me. 

NathanB

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:01 PM »
Ouch.  So much to look forward to.  Do they resell any of them on Half.com/amazon.com or anything?

My school budgets $1,240 for books, which seems absurd to me.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 10:07:53 AM »
Ouch.  So much to look forward to.  Do they resell any of them on Half.com/amazon.com or anything?

I certainly hope so! But so many people in UG bought online at places like half.com and they didnt get the books until way late...I wish I knew what to buy already!

NathanB

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 10:09:41 AM »
I'm finishing my MA right now and I always buy the books online.  I usually get them within 2 weeks or so, so it just takes a little advance preparation.

I can live with used books if I save 75% off the new price.  What are campus bookstores thinking?!?

???

I certainly hope so! But so many people in UG bought online at places like half.com and they didnt get the books until way late...I wish I knew what to buy already!

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 10:11:46 AM »
I'm finishing my MA right now and I always buy the books online.  I usually get them within 2 weeks or so, so it just takes a little advance preparation.

I can live with used books if I save 75% off the new price.  What are campus bookstores thinking?!?

???

Are the used books you get in good condition?  I want to be able to keep my books and I want them to be in almost new condition.  Is that possible?

NathanB

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 10:32:25 AM »
Well, usually there are 15-20 options for them, so I can usually find one in "like new" condition, which usually means they are a bit dinged up but not bad.

So yeah, its usually not too hard.  I buy any book I want to read on half.com now.  (pretty much)

Saves a ton of $$$.

canegirl08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 02:12:10 AM »
Try barristerbooks.com  you may be able to overnight the books and they might be cheaper than your local bookstore.

I spent almost a grand per semester on my ug books only taking 15 hours.  I was a history major and I usually had 5-10 books per class. 

My law school alloted $1000 per year but they have grossly underestimated everyother cost in their COA so I'm going to budget much more.
GO CANES!! I bleed orange and green!

littletanuki

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 11:48:43 AM »
My school already posted book adoptions by each professor, so I purchased all of my books on half.com (all latest edition, but used) for a little over $200.  But I also purchased primers, outlines etc. that would add the total to closer to $400.  But just for casebooks and the legal research/writing books, it was $215. I believe all of them were in the "like new" category as well.

naomi288

• Sr. Citizen
  • soon to be St John's 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »
yea i don't think st.john's is going to give a booklist until the week before classes start, so that way u can't order them, isn't that nice!
3.67 159/164
and.......the admissions process is over! yay!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=naomi288

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 03:22:59 PM »
My first semester books cost $500, but the good news was that I hardly bought anything the second semester--I used all of the casebooks for the entire year.

Second year, on the other hand . . . start saving your pennies now, you're gonna need them!