Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Touro Law School  (Read 8747 times)

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
New Touro Law School
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:05:13 AM »
They broke ground in February and have a projected completion date of Fall 2006... How long do you think it will take to pull Touro out of the 4th tier once this is up?  It will be the only fully integrated court system and law school in the country.

http://www.tourolaw.edu/ci/dream/dream.asp

fooseball22

Re: New Touro Law School
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »
i dont think touro is looking to pull itself out of tier 4 and integrating itself into the court system will have a minimal impact on its USNews ranking.  This is not because the law school integration isnt a good idea, but because law school rankings have little to do with the practical knowledge given to its students.  For example, clinics give law students the opportunity to ACTUALLY practice law, however, clinic weight in rankings is minimal and some schools pump as little money as possible into such programs.  So, don't automatically assume this program is going to lift the school out of its assigned caste.  But, you'll get a really good practical knowledge of how the courts work, which is priceless if you want to become a good attorney.

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:56:45 AM »
yes, but consider this...

at its current state, touro does not attract many qualified applicants because it does not have that much to offer compared to other NY schools.  this new campus will offer students a brand new facility and a great deal of practical knowledge as a result of its location near the courts.  we can assume (somewhat) that this means the school will receive more applicants and have a better image than that of being the 4th tier law school housed in a former junior high (which it currently is).  more applicants means more selectivity which  means (hopefully) better qualified students.  that does, we all know, affect rankings.

therefore, i think a boost in the rankings and national reputation of the school is inevitable.  the new campus marks a considerable improvement in the school from its current state.

fooseball22

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:17:32 AM »
yes, but...Touro has 2-3k applications a year...thats alot AND it is competing with 8-10 other schools in the NY area, the most notable being hofstra, b/c both are located on LI.  Hofstra supposedly has the best clinic program in NY state (i believe that most NY schools modeled their clinic programs off hofstra)...yet it still lingers in the mid to lower tier 2 range...

Although i do not deny that this improvement will no doubt vault touro, i dont think 'national recognition' is on the way (only about 10-20 schools receive such recognition).  Regional, maybe...but again, it still has to somehow overcome the caste system (its an odd system and i have yet to understand why it works the way it does) and it is doubtful a new campus is enough to boost the school to the second tier, or even third tier (Pace just recently got dumped to tier 4 and its a good school that is not as stigmatized as touro).  And remember, touro seems to want to cater to non-traditional part time students, so a boost in its applicant pool, or even rankings, may not be what they are looking for.

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:52:55 PM »
fooseball...you raised some interesting points.

i do still feel however, that while national recognition is not in the picture, a move to the third tier is.  i think the new campus and curriculum will lay the ground work for a better reputation.  i also feel that the bulk of their applications are people applying to touro as a safety school.  hopefully more people will consider it as a place to attend now that it will be more asthetically pleasing as well as offer a new practice-oriented curriculum.

do you happen to know the us news methodology when it comes to rankings?  what is valued the most?

fooseball22

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »
im not sure exactly what is valued highest for USnews rankings, but i know they take a look at a myriad of things.  Bar passage, student to teacher ratio, library size(i think), etc.  But effectively i have no idea what the exact formula is.  But i strongly believe that caste system is in place.  Meaning, a school would really have to be run into the ground to lose a place in the top 100...unless of course its new to the top.  That is really the only reason why i doubt touro will change rank.  A school like Ave Maria for example will probably break into the top 100 soon b/c it is actively trying to step up its admission profile and it is new, where as touro is not.  They seem just fine being where they are.  Which of course is just fine, there is no need to bend over for USnews (and they shouldnt).

RufusTheStuntBum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 04:26:41 PM »
I don't think this will help Touro rise in the rankings at all.  They could have the coolest building ever made but if it is on Long Island most people in their 20's would prefer to go to one of the 8 schools in the City. 

El Touro Tequilla might help a little though.

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »
Gee guys...This is kind of disheartening to hear. Do you all really think Touro will see minimal to no change as a result of this new 30 million dollar building and campus? One would think they wouldn't be happy being a 4th tier school. Am I better off at New England School of Law or University of Detroit Mercy?

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 06:41:44 PM »
Well, I think these changes would benefit Touro more if it did not have to compete with so many schools in the NYC area. Any school has the potential to move up in the rankings, and yes a huge renovation is one step in the right direction, but several other things have to fall into place, and any major movement in the rankings will only take place over a long period of time because these changes will only be felt once the student body has entered work force and made a name for the school. I guess what I am saying is be optimistic, but don't count on it changing while you are in school there. That being said, ranking are only good for so long and if you are a good attorney it will only take a while for your school name to be less important than the work that you have done since law school. Choose your school and make the most of your education and you will be fine.
Attending: Brooklyn

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 09:32:01 PM »
Well put.