Law School Discussion

Help me: 163/3.52 my chances at these?

Celestial Vertigo

Help me: 163/3.52 my chances at these?
« on: June 27, 2005, 07:41:30 PM »
My first post! These are some schools i am looking at. What do y'all think are safeties/targets/reaches?

Tulane
UNC
San Diego
UC-Davis
USF
UCLA - yeah i know
USC - ''   ''
Arizona
Santa Clara
Pepperdine
Emory
UGA
UT
Miami
SMU
UDenver
Colorado

LSAT:163
GPA:3.52
Majors: Finance/Marketing
No URM
Less than 1 yr work experience at time of app.

mxpocc

Re: Help me: 163/3.52 my chances at these?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 07:44:25 PM »
My first post! These are some schools i am looking at. What do y'all think are safeties/targets/reaches?

Tulane
UNC
San Diego
UC-Davis
USF
UCLA - yeah i know
USC - ''   ''
Arizona
Santa Clara
Pepperdine
Emory
UGA
UT
Miami
SMU
UDenver
Colorado

LSAT:163
GPA:3.52
Majors: Finance/Marketing
No URM
Less than 1 yr work experience at time of app.

pretty solid shots at all of them, except for UCLA, USC, UT and probably Emory. Get your apps in early and get some solid recommendations and a personal statement. You should get into one of the above mentioned four, and maybe UNC

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:55:48 PM »
pretty solid shots at all of them, except for UCLA, USC, UT and probably Emory. Get your apps in early and get some solid recommendations and a personal statement. You should get into one of the above mentioned four, and maybe UNC

I agree. I got W/L at Emory with similar numbers, though I got descent scholarship money at the lower Tier 1s.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
Exact Same numbers as you, triple major, top 20 ugrad, no work experience. Of your schools I had the following outcomes:

UNC - Reject
USC - Reject
Emory - Accepted
UT - Rejected

I would strongly, strongly advise you to apply early if you are going to go with this LSAT. Consider retaking, I really wish I had. When I say early, I mean like October early. I was in at Emory before christmas, which made the process much easier. I would say UCLA is also a definite reject, you should be in at the rest, except maybe UGA but only bc they are state, and you are probably in there too.

Celestial Vertigo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:36:56 PM »
 I was scoring consistently in the low 170s on practices in the month before the June LSAT. Then came the test, and I had my experimental as RC (my weakest section) and then the section following it was the RC that COUNTED. I think I had already psyched myself out, I was pressed for time and had to pretty much guess on a passage. I ended up missing 11 on RC and only 2 other questions on the rest of the test combined! Even though I knew I had freaked, I still didnt think I had missed that many or that the scale would be so tough.
I studied so much for the LSAT that the thought of waiting to retake it makes me want to cry, but I'm also disappointed with myself and KNOW I can do better. What would I need to score on a retake to make some of my reaches more probable  ???

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »
I was testing consistently in the 169-172 range, maxing out at a 175 for my best. Same thing happened to me last june, and extra long RC that came early and essentially threw me off for the test. I had spent roughly two months studying and dreaded the thought of taking it again, so I just bagged it. I'm going to a fine school anyway so in the end it was ok, but I really, really wish I had sucked it up and retaken in October to give me a shot at the T-14. I'd say that if you retake and get a 170 (keeping in mind that people typically score lower than their practice tests) averaging you out to a 166.5 (ie roundup to 167) you would have a v. decent shot at USC and a slightly less but still decent shot at UT/UCLA and the low end of the t-14s.

mxpocc

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »
I was scoring consistently in the low 170s on practices in the month before the June LSAT. Then came the test, and I had my experimental as RC (my weakest section) and then the section following it was the RC that COUNTED. I think I had already psyched myself out, I was pressed for time and had to pretty much guess on a passage. I ended up missing 11 on RC and only 2 other questions on the rest of the test combined! Even though I knew I had freaked, I still didnt think I had missed that many or that the scale would be so tough.
I studied so much for the LSAT that the thought of waiting to retake it makes me want to cry, but I'm also disappointed with myself and KNOW I can do better. What would I need to score on a retake to make some of my reaches more probable  ???

Don't know what you think of Iowa, and I'm not plugging it just because I'm going there, nor am I about to insult it--but it's #22 and your LSAT score is at its 75th percentile; a fact which makes Iowa stick out like a sore thumb in the rankings list (schools ranked 10-14 spots below it have comparable LSAT percentiles).

I think you'd get into Iowa w/ no problem if you applied early.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 12:38:07 PM »
You have several Southeastern schools listed.I would also look at Alabama it is ranked #41. I had similiar numbers to you and I was offered a full-ride. I know plenty others with the same numbers who recieved similar offers. It places well in Birmingham and Atlanta.

I was accepted at UGA with no money and offered 16,000k/year at Miami.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:27:36 PM »
If you are referring to me, I never told her she couldn't get into USC or UCLA with a 166. I think I told her that would give her a decent and a very decent shot at those schools.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 07:41:34 AM »
Hi OP.

I had very similar numbers to yours, slightly higher GPA.  Probably should have retaken my LSAT and also should have applied before the last week in Jan :)  But, in the end, I am happy with my options.  I'm going to BU right now and on priority waitlist at USC.  Yes, I could have done much better retaking it but the whole averaging thing and risk of not doing THAT much better made me decide to give it a go without retaking.  Depends on what you are really looking for.  If you want a T14, obviously you should retake, but beyond that if you apply early I am sure you will do fine.  I didn't apply early at all and I feel comfortable with my results.