Law School Discussion

"Law Preview" course- is it worth it?

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: "Law Preview" course- is it worth it?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 01:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the link midjeep! I am actually going to give it a try!

No problem how are things in Austin? Also, what med school did your SO end up at? Hope your financial situation worked out OK. I think I will manage, but I am lucky that my car is paid for and my rents are awesome and are taking care of the insurance.

My SO (now my fiance'!) graduated from the Med School at the Univ. of Texas Health Science Center. He is doing his residency here in Austin at several of the hospitals (Brackenridge, Seton Shoal Creek, etc.).  He is actually in Houston right now doing the clinical portion of his boards to get his medical license.  Our financial situation worked out fine since we are in the same city and able to share living expenses.  He was able to get a really low interest rate on a home mortgage through some new doctor loan program that Compass Bank offers and was able to buy a house.  So his house payment is only like $680 a month....which helps out immensely since we would probably have had a hard time getting a decent apartment for that.  It took alot of looking and searching to find a decent house in our price range, but after about three month we were able to find a 3 bedroom house about 10 miles from downtown. We live in a neighborhood called Harris Branch off of 290 East and about 5.5 miles east of 35.  The house had been a rental, so the "cosmetics" of the house were in pretty rough shape...but it worked out well for us because the owner did not want to put the time into fixing up the house and we were able to get a better deal on it.  We were even able to build some of the cost of doing some updating (new carpet, new roof, new water heater, etc.) into the price of the house & the loan.

So all & all everything has worked out extremely well for us despite my freaking out and stressing.  How about you? When do you start at SMU? Are you ready?   

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the link midjeep! I am actually going to give it a try!

No problem how are things in Austin? Also, what med school did your SO end up at? Hope your financial situation worked out OK. I think I will manage, but I am lucky that my car is paid for and my rents are awesome and are taking care of the insurance.

My SO (now my fiance'!) graduated from the Med School at the Univ. of Texas Health Science Center. He is doing his residency here in Austin at several of the hospitals (Brackenridge, Seton Shoal Creek, etc.).  He is actually in Houston right now doing the clinical portion of his boards to get his medical license.  Our financial situation worked out fine since we are in the same city and able to share living expenses.  He was able to get a really low interest rate on a home mortgage through some new doctor loan program that Compass Bank offers and was able to buy a house.  So his house payment is only like $680 a month....which helps out immensely since we would probably have had a hard time getting a decent apartment for that.  It took alot of looking and searching to find a decent house in our price range, but after about three month we were able to find a 3 bedroom house about 10 miles from downtown. We live in a neighborhood called Harris Branch off of 290 East and about 5.5 miles east of 35.  The house had been a rental, so the "cosmetics" of the house were in pretty rough shape...but it worked out well for us because the owner did not want to put the time into fixing up the house and we were able to get a better deal on it.  We were even able to build some of the cost of doing some updating (new carpet, new roof, new water heater, etc.) into the price of the house & the loan.

So all & all everything has worked out extremely well for us despite my freaking out and stressing.  How about you? When do you start at SMU? Are you ready?   

Yup its SMU for me. I got a studio apartment in Dallas for 800 bucks but it's only a mile away from campus. I just started my legal writing assignment and the fact classes are gonna start in less than a week are starting to nerve me. I'm glad things worked out for you. Hopefully we'll bump into eachother on the web again.

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 03:46:55 PM »
Good Luck to you Midjeep!