Law School Discussion

"Law Preview" course- is it worth it?

walty

"Law Preview" course- is it worth it?
« on: June 27, 2005, 06:42:33 PM »
So I saw an ad for a law preview course and I was wondering if anyone has taken one or knows someone who has. At $1200+ it seems a little steep to me but who knows? $1200/week is about what I'll be paying in school right? Anyone know of any good ones or have any experiences to share about it?

Thanks

Re: "Law Preview" course- is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 07:55:27 PM »
I don't know anyone who's taken one. However, i'm in the process of reading planet law school, and the author emphatically states those classes are a waste of money and time. I say, and this will sound cheap, but go to a bookstore and check out what planet law school says about those "pre-law reviews" or whatever.

The Truth

• Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 08:07:10 PM »
I just took the course and I think that there are good things to be taken from it. Can you learn those things from a book and over the course of the year, yes, but the medium that they give it in is very helpful. I paid way less than the current price however as I ordered the course back in April and had a course discount. I know others paid between 400 and 700 for the course by getting scholarships from various board discussions I have seen about it.

A lot of people told me that LSAT prep could be done without a class, which is true, but taking the course gave me a medium and schedule to get it done and provided different tips. However, I think that LSAT prep is a lot more important, at least in my success, than Law Preview may be in others law school success.

But I like the fact that law preivew brings in top professors in the field, this past week we had two Yale professors, a Penn professor, and other respected professors that went to school at Chicago, one of which wrote the book Law 101.

LP also gives their students a schedule for the year the year and I can definitely see how following their tips over the course of hte week was better when I didnt do them.

Some of the cost for the course is also defrayed by the ~100 in commerical law outlines/study items that they give you. If you can get a scholarship it is definitely worth it just to have some piece of mind and a way of doing things. I don't think the course hurst you at all, it really is just a matter of how much money you want to put down on it and the cases that are covered are ones that you may/will do in 1L year, so you already have briefs for them that you have prepared and get other case information through the discussion.

In the end, it really is just a personal decision.

Faure

• Meow
    • AOL Instant Messenger - leoninshikari
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Faure_Fan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 08:28:03 PM »
Truth, did you take the course at Penn? I was originally signed up there, but had to switch to the late class at NYU because I was hired for a summer teaching position at the City College of Philadelphia. Besides reading the book they sent you, did you do any other prep before the class started? Thanks!

The Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »
Faure,

Yes, I took the course at Penn. I read that book that they sent and got through Tuesday before the class and read the Con Law part as well. I then kept up with the readings each night and briefed most of the cases in the manner they presribe, although I did skip some case briefing and just book brief. I know that some others in the class did not do all of the reading at times, but could still follow along. I could definitely see how case breifing was better for me than book briefing or no briefing at all for others from talking to them.

Orginally I was going to go to the NYU 2nd session as I had a work conflict for this one, but once I decided to stop work earlier, I was able to go.

The Truth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
Bump for a late followup/advice:

For those looking at Law Preview in the future that know you are attending a school where they have a session, it is a good idea to see if that school has scholarships to attend the course. These can be based on first come, first serve or need, depending on how the school does it. I was able to get a scholarship that paid for the class. Definitely making for a nice bonus on this class's value. Whether you think Law Preview is good or not, if you are going for free or minimal dollars, you can't understate the value of it!

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 01:09:46 PM »
I know I posted this elsewhere, but to those who are cheap like me, here is a good tutorial overview of what to expect on your first day:

http://www.law.smu.edu/firstday/Default.htm

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »
Thanks for the link midjeep! I am actually going to give it a try!

risingMC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:16 PM »
I got back from the Boston one about a week ago. Met a fellow LSDer there, too.

Overall, I'd say go for it if (1) you have the money to spend, (2) you know absolutely nothing about law, and/or (3) you're fairly new to LSD. I went because I recieved a hefty need-based discount; had it been otherwise, I can't say I would have done the same; however, I've worked as a paralegal for a year, don't have the money lying around, and have been on LSD long enough to have read a book or two about what to expect this semester.

Now, about the course. It's pretty much divided up according to subject: some subjects will take all day (I think Civ Pro did), but others will only take up the morning or afternoon session (Con law and crim law both did). They also intersperse sessions on briefing, law school activities, employment prospects, etc. The sessions I thought were really useful -- they even had Robert Miller, the guy who wrote LSC, come and talk for those. The substantive course sessions were a mix of going over important cases and going over the pertinent class concepts, depending on the prof's teaching style: the Torts session taught us all about the concepts and occasionally referred to the cases, while the Con Law prof grilled us on Brown vs. Board and the SC decision on VAWA.

As a sidenote, I also noticed that there were alot of older applicants there. So maybe you should consider it, too, if it's been awhile since you were in school.

Hope this helps!

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 12:10:57 PM »
Thanks for the link midjeep! I am actually going to give it a try!

No problem how are things in Austin? Also, what med school did your SO end up at? Hope your financial situation worked out OK. I think I will manage, but I am lucky that my car is paid for and my rents are awesome and are taking care of the insurance.